Which outcome would you rather have?

• 9-4 with a bowl win but losses in all the big games

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • 4-8 but one of the wins is 11-0 Wisconsin

Votes: 35 46.7%

• Total voters

fmlizard

Reaction score
Was having this debate the other night and wondered what GH thinks. Which outcome would you prefer for this season?

A: The Gophers make real strides and go 8-4 and to a nice bowl game that they also win to finish 9-4. They lose to OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa.

B: The Gophers sputter and wheeze their way to a 4-8 season, getting whooped often and only winning against Miami OH, Illinois, and (gasp) 11-0 #1 Wisconsin.

B for me

I have too many arrogant Badgers fan coworkers, I've been waiting to taunt them with a Gopher victory far too long. This is the year as I always say.

People actually debated this? Were they all Badgers fans picking the 9-4?

What kind of a poll is this?

Option 3: 8-4 and beat the stinking Badgers at the end of the season and spoil their national title aspirations.

What kind of a poll is this?

Option 3: 8-4 and beat the stinking Badgers at the end of the season and spoil their national title aspirations.

It's obvious to me...pretty transparent attempted shot at 2016 team.

so the question is - a decent 9-win season - or a 4 win season with one marquee victory.

Last time I checked - 9 is more than 4.

IMHO, A 9-win season would be seen as a sign of progress. A 4-win season would be a clear step backwards for the program. I don't care if one of the wins is over Wisconsin. Heck, I don't care if one of the wins is over Alabama. 4 wins is 4 wins is 4 wins. 9 wins is 9 wins is 9 wins. 9 is more than 4. I want more wins, not fewer wins.

I will take 9 wins every year - EVEN if it means the Gophers NEVER beat Wisconsin again. I'm serious. Let the Badger fans chug beers and beat their chests. Give me a winning season and a bowl game.

If this was the Off-Topic Board, I might accuse some posters of having Badger Derangement Syndrome.

so the question is - a decent 9-win season - or a 4 win season with one marquee victory.

Last time I checked - 9 is more than 4.

IMHO, A 9-win season would be seen as a sign of progress. A 4-win season would be a clear step backwards for the program. I don't care if one of the wins is over Wisconsin. Heck, I don't care if one of the wins is over Alabama. 4 wins is 4 wins is 4 wins. 9 wins is 9 wins is 9 wins. 9 is more than 4. I want more wins, not fewer wins.

I will take 9 wins every year - EVEN if it means the Gophers NEVER beat Wisconsin again. I'm serious. Let the Badger fans chug beers and beat their chests. Give me a winning season and a bowl game.

If this was the Off-Topic Board, I might accuse some posters of having Badger Derangement Syndrome.

How about we go every other year
9 wins
4 wins beat wisconsin
9wins
4 wins beat wisconsin

????

If forced to pick between the two I pick A and it really isn't close to me. Imagine the recruiting class the coaching staff could land for 2020 coming off a 9 win season and playing in a pretty solid bowl game. Much easier to sell something when you have visual proof of it actually happening. A losing season but a win over Wisconsin and that win would just be chalked up to a fluke game or something while the 9 wins would show something that can be sustained and a very good vision into what the future might be.

Last edited:

No brainer: A

I'd rather build a good team. I was in attendance when Wacker's Gophers beat the Badgers in 1993 and 1994. It was fun. It was satisfying. But we still weren't good, and everybody in the country knew it.

Go 9-4 and maybe we continue to build so we can beat Wisconsin more in the future. Go 4-8 and Fleck is on the hot seat and we're probably starting over soon -- again -- with no chance to beat Wisconsin again for many years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No brainer: A

I'd rather build a good team. I was in attendance when Wacker's Gophers beat the Badgers in 1993 and 1994. It was fun. It was satisfying. But we still weren't good, and everybody in the country knew it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those were miserable years under Wacker. Beating Wisconsin was great, but it still was horrible watching the gophers week in and out because they were horrible.

Winning 9 games is a lot more fun. Witnessing the win against Washington State was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted A.

But if the choice was 9-4, and losing to all the good teams.

Or

7-5 beating WI, I'd go 7-5 for this year with the win over WI.

4-8 with a win over WI would be pretty flukey.

I would have to go with B. Especially if the Badgers are undefeated, looking to go to the B1G Champ / Playoffs. To be the team that goes to Camp Randall and denies them of that. It would make up for not beating Wisco for a long, long time

Was having this debate the other night and wondered what GH thinks. Which outcome would you prefer for this season?

A: The Gophers make real strides and go 8-4 and to a nice bowl game that they also win to finish 9-4. They lose to OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa.

B: The Gophers sputter and wheeze their way to a 4-8 season, getting whooped often and only winning against Miami OH, Illinois, and (gasp) 11-0 #1 Wisconsin.
A either way still have the anger of losing to Iowa at home, might as well have a good season and build for next year. Nine win season will help with recruiting. PJ will need to win to keep building momentum

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A. I want to beat Wisconsin regularly, A. could lead to that, B. is meaningless.

I'm a fan of the Gophers winning more games than losing them.

So are we barely losing to the big boys, or getting blown out. I'm ok this year as to barely losing as that tells us we're getting better. If we're getting blown out to the big boys, then we've got a long ways to go and I don't like that.

Since what is going to happen isn’t in the poll, I decline.

No brainer. Beat wisconsin once for the love of God and if they're 11-0 coming in it's the best program win I can think of in my lifetime regardless of record.

In fact, they could finish 1-11, or I guess 2-10 and I'd still prefer it just the streak over with.

I have too many arrogant Badgers fan coworkers, I've been waiting to taunt them with a Gopher victory far too long. This is the year as I always say.

You've been in the same job for 15 years? Are you in a union or something?

A win vs Wisconsin this year, as sweet as it would be, at 4-8 means it was just a flash in the pan.

8-4 regular season plus a decent bowl game sets up up much better to have SUSTAINED success over Wisco!!

Have patience, we can do anything that Wisco can do!

Also, is Nebraska really a marquee game for us??? Sure, there is a fake trophy. Sure, we've played them a handful of times.

But they aren't s___ since joining the Big Ten, and there is no history of playing Nebraska. They're Big Ten noobs, and have earned no respect from me. Our actual rivals are Wisconsin and Iowa.

Can you put 80,000 people in your stadium?

My point is that there's nothing significantly differentiating at Madison, such that the circumstances in Mpls would've prevented a similar history, if we would've had the same admin support and had hired Alvarez back then, instead of Wisco hiring him. He's from Pennsylvania, coached LBs for a long time at Iowa, then got his DC chops at Notre Dame. So there would've been zero reason to prefer Wisconsin over Minnesota.

There's no way to prove it, of course, so arguing about it is silly. But I'm sticking with my hypothesis!

I'm going with "A" for no other reason than if we are sitting at 3-8 going into the uw game, I wouldn't even watch and would miss any joy that could be had from option "B."

Top Bottom