What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the NMSU game?

What grade do you give PJ Fleck for NMSU

• A

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • B

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • C

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • F

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I prefer to not comment

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Some of the big coaching decision questions coming into this game were: Why would they have Antoine Winfield Jr return punts? Why did they choose Annexstad over Morgan? Would the play calling improve? Those questions were answered on the way to their largest margin of victory in an opening game since 2006.

A

Gave him an A. We destroyed a team we're supposed to destroy. Can't ask for much more. You never know what kind of weird stuff will happen early in a season so this type of results is all you can ask for.

Coaching is more than just in game - The players were well prepared, put in a position to succeed and executed. Line was 18, we won by double that. A.

Some of the big coaching decision questions coming into this game were: Why would they have Antoine Winfield Jr return punts? Why did they choose Annexstad over Morgan? Would the play calling improve? Those questions were answered on the way to their largest margin of victory in an opening game since 2006.

A

+1

B, but only because he didn't sit down Annexstad and Smith in the 4th quarter. Howard Griffith was saying the thing on the BTN postgame show.

A

BTW I have no doubt Winfield is our best punt returner. If he gets injured doing it, it won't be a great decision though.

A

Let alone crooting and coaching and picking other coaches... all play into the outcome to some extent.

Although I'm still worried about Winfield back there with our shaky secondary, even if we know he can return.

BTW I have no doubt Winfield is our best punt returner. If he gets injured doing it, it won't be a great decision though.

You play to win the games, not worry about injuries. He could just as easily get injured on any defensive play.

I said all weeek that NMSU was terrible. He was not tested at all as a HC. What tough decision or call did he have to make? That's an A?

If you have the talent and preparation to win by 38 points, it's an A every time.

You play to win the games, not worry about injuries. He could just as easily get injured on any defensive play.

+1

The worrying about injury thing is a good excuse to help you lose games by not having your best players play.
Now if you are up by 28 and want to take him out, sure.

Saying that Fleck didn’t deserve an A is like the coach who said Saban is overrated because he always has the best players. Having the better players is part of a college coach’s job.

He runs fast. I like that. I’ll give him a B.

They beat a really horrible team. We had a fake punt successfully executed against us. We were down at one point. I didn't like the Rodney Smith stayed in the game and kept going back in when we were up 4 TDs and he was visibly limping.

For sure not an A performance. Gopher fans standards have dropped way too low.

B, but only because he didn't sit down Annexstad and Smith in the 4th quarter. Howard Griffith was saying the thing on the BTN postgame show.

+1

aaannndddd Smith got up hobbling in the 4th quarter...wth

My only reason for a B was his handling of Annextad after the 12 yard run. He landed on his left shoulder and was trying to shake it off but he seemed to be focused on it. We were up by 30, and he left him in there. Next series he made the change.

In most games, I don't think it's possible to single out the head coach for judgement, especially from the outside. The coordinators hold an awful lot of sway in game planning and play calling, and successfully implementing the techniques necessary to execute the grand strategy is up to the position coaches.

That being said, I think the coaching staff deserves high marks for the game. In retrospect, it appears a lot of sound decisions were made in regard to personnel, play calling, etc. However, I also would have been a bit quicker to get some of the starters off the field. Lack of depth and experience may prove to be the team's biggest obstacle this year, so protecting your assets while getting young players experience should be a high priority.

JTG

He aced an easy class. I'll give him an A but it's not a meaninful test. NMSU was bad but all you can do is smash a bad team, and we did.

I liked they worked on the passing game even when the game was out of hand. Cannot get better without reps. Maybe he kept starters in a series or two too long but overall no real issues with anything. In the coming weeks decisions as mundane but important as eg punting from the 42 vs trying for a first, scheme, time issues, adjustments will be tested a lot more. Everything looks better after a win and worse after a loss.

Would strongly suggest he stop doing running chest bumps with a 6-4, 240 lb back returning pumped up after each TD. He should have run fast to anywhere else.

PJ is all on ... something.... don't know what it is but somehow it makes him impervious to such hits.

Me. I was at a practice and when the players are on the sidelines and you're in between them ... I kinda wonder if I might suddenly be crushed and die right then and there if one of them shifted their weight slightly and bumped me....

He gets an A.

It's like a college phys ed class...he did what he had to do so he gets an A. Won't get as many credits for this one as for other real classes (aka Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio St, etc.), but he still gets an A for this class.

One thing I'd add -- while he didn't have to make any real difficult in-game decisions, most of what a coach does in a game is determined by their preparation. The best way to avoid having to make tough decisions is by being prepared. I saw a team that didn't make very many mistakes and had the game won by halftime. Not sure how you can hope for much more than that. Doesn't mean there isn't a great deal of work left to do.

Top Bottom