Snicker if you like, but Gophers’ ‘Row The Boat’ is helping Minnesota families - TCPP

Iceland12

Reaction score
Just wanted to also say that in last night's pregame video Fleck signed-off "Ski-U-Mah" the "Row The Boat".

“When I kind of unveiled it (Row The Boat), everybody made fun of it, and people still do,” Fleck said. “But at the end of the day, that’s always going to happen when you sit there and say, ‘Here I am’ as a person, and you share yourself with other people instead of closing yourself off.”

Fleck trademarked the phrase and brought it with him to Minnesota in January 2017. The eye-rolling didn’t abate when the Gophers struggled to a 5-7 record last fall in Fleck’s first season as coach. But the marriage between the Gophers football program and “Row the Boat” has only become more intertwined as Fleck’s second season began Thursday against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium...

Several families of fans have brought the phrase into their homes, from Andover to Detroit Lakes. It has helped them keep a positive attitude when life has dealt them challenges such as the pain losing a child, or battling serious health issues. Some of those stories have reached Fleck, and he has written letters back to the families...

The message behind “Row The Boat” has become therapeutic for the Conns.

“I get down a lot and I try to think that (Fleck is) still pushing forward,” Jerod said. “He’s a very positive person, and I think it’s a good thing to be. Sometimes I wonder how he can be that way and stuff. It’s just something that you use to motivate you.”

For last year’s spring game, the Conns made another oar as a tribute to Chloe. It has a picture of her holding the first family oar, with her middle name, Love, written on it. It also has a blue heart sticker, a token of her memory seen around Detroit Lakes.

“It’s symbolic and special and beautiful how much Jerod loves the Gophers and how supportive they’ve been to him,” Stacy said. “It’s something that him and Chloe really bonded over. It’s just special for us as a family.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...s-row-the-boat-is-helping-minnesota-families/

Just wanted to also say that in last night's pregame video Fleck signed-off "Ski-U-Mah" the "Row The Boat".

“When I kind of unveiled it (Row The Boat), everybody made fun of it, and people still do,” Fleck said. “But at the end of the day, that’s always going to happen when you sit there and say, ‘Here I am’ as a person, and you share yourself with other people instead of closing yourself off.”

Fleck trademarked the phrase and brought it with him to Minnesota in January 2017. The eye-rolling didn’t abate when the Gophers struggled to a 5-7 record last fall in Fleck’s first season as coach. But the marriage between the Gophers football program and “Row the Boat” has only become more intertwined as Fleck’s second season began Thursday against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium...

Several families of fans have brought the phrase into their homes, from Andover to Detroit Lakes. It has helped them keep a positive attitude when life has dealt them challenges such as the pain losing a child, or battling serious health issues. Some of those stories have reached Fleck, and he has written letters back to the families...

The message behind “Row The Boat” has become therapeutic for the Conns.

“I get down a lot and I try to think that (Fleck is) still pushing forward,” Jerod said. “He’s a very positive person, and I think it’s a good thing to be. Sometimes I wonder how he can be that way and stuff. It’s just something that you use to motivate you.”

For last year’s spring game, the Conns made another oar as a tribute to Chloe. It has a picture of her holding the first family oar, with her middle name, Love, written on it. It also has a blue heart sticker, a token of her memory seen around Detroit Lakes.

“It’s symbolic and special and beautiful how much Jerod loves the Gophers and how supportive they’ve been to him,” Stacy said. “It’s something that him and Chloe really bonded over. It’s just special for us as a family.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...s-row-the-boat-is-helping-minnesota-families/

I think PJ is confused. I've not heard anyone make fun of Row the Boat. It's an awesome philosophy. It's a wonderful mantra for PJ Fleck and is inspiring for people. He seems to do a lot of good with it.

That does not change the fact that it does not belong on the University of Minnesota uniforms in any way, shape, or form.

If PJ Fleck wants to put advertising on the uniforms, then the University should change their policy to allow advertising for a brand on their uniforms. Then PJ Fleck can pay to advertise his brand on The University of Minnesota uniforms.

I think PJ is confused. I've not heard anyone make fun of Row the Boat. It's an awesome philosophy. It's a wonderful mantra for PJ Fleck and is inspiring for people. He seems to do a lot of good with it.

That does not change the fact that it does not belong on the University of Minnesota uniforms in any way, shape, or form.

If PJ Fleck wants to put advertising on the uniforms, then the University should change their policy to allow advertising for a brand on their uniforms. Then PJ Fleck can pay to advertise his brand on The University of Minnesota uniforms.

Brick by Brick didn't seem to ruffle any feathers as a mantra and it made it onto uniforms. Plenty of detractors openly mock PJ and by inference his RTB mantra, in addition lots of people cringe at how invasive this has become into the overall U marketing given the lack of proven performance so far. If we beat Wisconsin 48-10 there will be a long line of octogenarians getting paddle tatoos in Dinkytown.

Brick by Brick didn't seem to ruffle any feathers as a mantra and it made it onto uniforms.

Brick by Brick was a not a Jerry Kill product, it was a University product developed by the Kill coaching regime along with U of M Athletic's marketing, it reflected the history of the program by referencing the brick construction of Memorial Stadium. Row The Boat is solely a Fleck owned product in no way connected to the University.

Brick by Brick was a not a Jerry Kill product, it was a University product developed by the Kill coaching regime along with U of M Athletic's marketing, it reflected the history of the program by referencing the brick construction of Memorial Stadium. Row The Boat is solely a Fleck owned product in no way connected to the University.

So the fact that Brick by Brick started and ended during the Kill/Claeys regime makes it a University product and not a Kill product? No. Kill used it in the same way that Fleck uses RTB. Yes, they referenced memorial stadium but bricks can reference any brick building. There was nothing unique about it to the University of Minnesota, especially considering Butch Jones at Tennessee was also using Brick by Brick at the same time. It has also been used by other teams. It's hypocritical to not have an issue with Brick by Brick but have an issue with Row The Boat on the uniform.

Brick by Brick didn't seem to ruffle any feathers as a mantra and it made it onto uniforms. Plenty of detractors openly mock PJ and by inference his RTB mantra, in addition lots of people cringe at how invasive this has become into the overall U marketing given the lack of proven performance so far. If we beat Wisconsin 48-10 there will be a long line of octogenarians getting paddle tatoos in Dinkytown.

IF Brick by Brick had been Jerry Kill's personal branding, I would have had issue with it as well. But it wasn't, now was it.

IF we beat Wisconsin 48-10 and every octogenarian in the state goes and gets a paddle tattoo, good for them. It still doesn't change the fact that it is PJ Fleck's personal brand and does not belong on the University of Minnesota uniforms. We don't accept advertising on uniforms. Advertising for PJ Fleck's personal brand isn't an exemption.

And just because I feel this way doesn't mean I hate PJ Fleck or think Row the Boat is a joke. I hope it continues to drive him forward and offer up good for him no matter what. Like Jerry Kill's involvement with the epilepsy foundation, I think it's a positive for PJ Fleck and for the University to support it as a community. I never will believe that the University should be supplanted by anyone's personal brand or beliefs. By putting PJ Fleck's personal brand on the uniforms, we've done just that.

So the fact that Brick by Brick started and ended during the Kill/Claeys regime makes it a University product and not a Kill product? No. Kill used it in the same way that Fleck uses RTB. Yes, they referenced memorial stadium but bricks can reference any brick building. There was nothing unique about it to the University of Minnesota, especially considering Butch Jones at Tennessee was also using Brick by Brick at the same time. It has also been used by other teams. It's hypocritical to not have an issue with Brick by Brick but have an issue with Row The Boat on the uniform.

It is sad you can't understand the difference.

IF Brick by Brick had been Jerry Kill's personal branding, I would have had issue with it as well. But it wasn't, now was it.

IF we beat Wisconsin 48-10 and every octogenarian in the state goes and gets a paddle tattoo, good for them. It still doesn't change the fact that it is PJ Fleck's personal brand and does not belong on the University of Minnesota uniforms. We don't accept advertising on uniforms. Advertising for PJ Fleck's personal brand isn't an exemption.

And just because I feel this way doesn't mean I hate PJ Fleck or think Row the Boat is a joke. I hope it continues to drive him forward and offer up good for him no matter what. Like Jerry Kill's involvement with the epilepsy foundation, I think it's a positive for PJ Fleck and for the University to support it as a community. I never will believe that the University should be supplanted by anyone's personal brand or beliefs. By putting PJ Fleck's personal brand on the uniforms, we've done just that.

Spot on.

It's sad that you can't understand how they are very similar.

I actually understand why you feel they are similar. I also acknowledge there are similarities. I also know where those similarities end and where the massive difference begins.

You must not be on social media at all because people constantly make fun and mock it. A lot.

The players, the people who wear the uniforms, seem to have adopted the philosophy.

I actually understand why you feel they are similar. I also acknowledge there are similarities. I also know where those similarities end and where the massive difference begins.

Yet you don’t. The same reasons you think RTB should not be on the uniform apply directly to brick by brick.

In the scheme of things, we have a lot more to worry than what's put on the helmets. Like it or not, every coach will put their own stamps on the program.

What I care about is that his gimmicks results in the kids graduating with great values they will carry on in life, becoming good men and caring citizens. AND, if he beats Wisconsin more often than not, and brings home a Rose Bowl title.

I wasn't thrilled at first with all the nektons, and HYPRR, etc... Maybe Bryce Benhart and his family see that as a turn off. But, I am coming along to like it and accept it. Change is especially tough for us old cudgers.

You must not be on social media at all because people constantly make fun and mock it. A lot.

The players, the people who wear the uniforms, seem to have adopted the philosophy.

I agree 100%. caliGopher you are completely out of touch. If you live in California I totally get it you never heard your neighbor or whatever talk about it. Here in Minnesota we do. Becareful of what you say especially if you live elsewhere.

But, I am coming along to like it and accept it. Change is especially tough for us old cudgers.

Similar to old people not always appreciating young people's music. I am not a fan of the mumbo jumbo speak that comes with Fleck, but I also hate Drake and Cardi B. From a distance, I'm willing to wait and see how successful this approach will be and hopeful that there is at least a chance that it can be successful based on how young people seem to react to all of it. Saying the uniforms are off limits, seems a arbitrary place to draw the line. The uniforms rarely outlast a year, much less a regime change. The way you guys are reacting to it, you would think we were imprinting every brick in the stadium with RTB.

RTB is a personal to Fleck mantra. Brick by brick had no personal meaning to Kill. They are similar because they are used the same way but that is where the similarity ends. Personal mantras should not be on our uniforms in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what my answers are and don't hide it. I'm trying to figure out what your interpretation is.

Yet you don’t. The same reasons you think RTB should not be on the uniform apply directly to brick by brick.

So Brick by Brick was Jerry Kill's personal brand? one that he used for purposes outside of football? One that he used to market himself publicly. One that he used publicly at other schools? One that he forced on another school and then paid to recover so he could use it at his next school, and one that was so tied to him he's still using it today for his own benefit?

I didn't realize that.

We seem to get new uniforms all the time. Who cares if they put RTB or an oar on the uniform. People who don't like Fleck or don't like the slogan I'm sure, but they probably have all kinds of issues in their lives. Why stoop to that level? I'm going with how the players respond to the message.

Social media and the comments section on the internet are not a good place to get ideas. I'm not on social media much, to me it's not very, well, social.

I have seen and received much ribbing about PJ Fleck being our coach and his ridiculous vocabulary. I've heard all kinds of jokes about our uniforms. I have not heard one person who understood what Row The Boat is/means to PJ Fleck make fun of it (I've explained it to many of my friends and changed some minds).

I agree the players seem to have bought into the "culture" that Fleck is selling, and that's good.

So Brick by Brick was Jerry Kill's personal brand? one that he used for purposes outside of football? One that he used to market himself publicly. One that he used publicly at other schools? One that he forced on another school and then paid to recover so he could use it at his next school, and one that was so tied to him he's still using it today for his own benefit?

I didn't realize that.

So you’re cool having Butch Jones mantra on our uniforms, who never coached here, but not Flecks, who does coach here. Makes sense..

So you’re cool having Butch Jones mantra on our uniforms, who never coached here, but not Flecks, who does coach here. Makes sense..

Stop feeding the troll. 100% of the income generated by RTB goes to the U or charity.

What is really interesting is how some of Fleck's biggest "defenders" don't give a damn how RTB is actually making a difference in some people's live. Guess they don't think it is?

Nope, they only give a damn about helmets and slogan's and arguing about previous coaching, not what a solid, positive program it has become.

Oh and trolling. A lot about trolling too.

It's sad that you can't understand how they are very similar.

I agree 100%. caliGopher you are completely out of touch. If you live in California I totally get it you never heard your neighbor or whatever talk about it. Here in Minnesota we do. Becareful of what you say especially if you live elsewhere.

Maybe you should try reading your own posts and find your answer.

Similar to old people not always appreciating young people's music. I am not a fan of the mumbo jumbo speak that comes with Fleck, but I also hate Drake and Cardi B. From a distance, I'm willing to wait and see how successful this approach will be and hopeful that there is at least a chance that it can be successful based on how young people seem to react to all of it. Saying the uniforms are off limits, seems a arbitrary place to draw the line. The uniforms rarely outlast a year, much less a regime change. The way you guys are reacting to it, you would think we were imprinting every brick in the stadium with RTB.

You've said we aren't the University of PJ Fleck, therefore RTB doesn't belong on our uniforms. Well we aren't the University of Brick By Brick either, so why does that belong on our uniforms? There's nothing unique about that branding to the University of Minnesota. Thanks again for further proving my point and providing many examples.

? Wow, where you coming from? Russia?

Last edited:

What is really interesting is how some of Fleck's biggest "defenders" don't give a damn how RTB is actually making a difference in some people's live. Guess they don't think it is?

Nope, they only give a damn about helmets and slogan's and arguing about previous coaching.

What are you talking about?

Nope, they only give a damn about helmets and slogan's and arguing about previous coaching.

miMZRv3.jpg

Let's do a quick search, shall we?

Row the boat - First two pages of google, every single reference is to PJ Fleck with one notable exception: Row, Row, Row your Boat song Wikipedia entry
Brick by Brick - First two pages of google, zero references to Butch Jones. Or Jerry Kill.

You should read the story behind Brick By Brick that Butch Jones tells. Nothing like the origins of Row The Boat. No tie to him really, more of a football thing that he was inspired to use watching construction near his office. It was hardly his before he went to Tennessee, and it continues to be used by football teams across the country at all levels. Claiming it is his and his alone is interesting, but keep doing it.

If it was in fact Jones' own personal brand (which it's not) invented in 2013 as he says in the interview, even more astounding is that Kill was using it at Minnesota before Jones was hired to coach Tennessee where Jones first "coined" the phrase. It was in 2013 that the U's Athletic Department started using the phrase in earnest for the team (not for Kill). And only after that time, later, did it end up on the uniforms.

Of course, the use of Brick by Brick in terms of building a football team is nothing new. In fact, you can find a video of Maurice Linguist, former assistant under PJ Fleck, giving a speech about building defenses brick by brick when he was still at Mississippi State.

The first usage I could document on the internet was in 1999 in reference to the Clemson Tigers and a project at their stadium. I found no fewer than 30 different teams using it in under :60 seconds. Many examples both before and after Butch Jones made it up, including a high school in Chicago two years before Butch Jones was at Tennessee and the Arizona Cardinals (officially) and the San Francisco 49ers (Team fan site) this year. I'm sure if I tried harder, I could find more.

The University of Minnesota does have a history of using generic, well used mantras in support of athletics. You may remember (or maybe not, this happened before PJ Fleck) the University under Joel Maturi famously copying Penn State's use of "We Are, Penn State"" (fortunately for us, Maturi remembered to change it to Minnesota! before unleashing it)" Again, that's another phrase that's been used by many, many teams throughout history, but yeah, we still use that one today.

But, yeah. We put Butch Jones' mantra on our uniforms.

Last edited:

I like the concept behind RTB.

I’d prefer not to have an oar on the helmets.

I don’t lose any sleep over the fact that it’s there. I honestly couldn’t tell you it was there from where I was sitting last year.

They're all stupid cliches. Might as well put baby steps on our helmets with a picture of a baby kitty too. That would scare our opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom