Snicker if you like, but Gophers’ ‘Row The Boat’ is helping Minnesota families - TCPP

miMZRv3.jpg

Didn't read the article either huh? ;)

Let's do a quick search, shall we?

Row the boat - First two pages of google, every single reference is to PJ Fleck with one notable exception: Row, Row, Row your Boat song Wikipedia entry
Brick by Brick - First two pages of google, zero references to Butch Jones. Or Jerry Kill.

You should read the story behind Brick By Brick that Butch Jones tells. Nothing like the origins of Row The Boat. No tie to him really, more of a football thing that he was inspired to use watching construction near his office. It was hardly his before he went to Tennessee, and it continues to be used by football teams across the country at all levels. Claiming it is his and his alone is interesting, but keep doing it.

If it was in fact Jones' own personal brand (which it's not) invented in 2013 as he says in the interview, even more astounding is that Kill was using it at Minnesota before Jones was hired to coach Tennessee where Jones first "coined" the phrase. It was in 2013 that the U's Athletic Department started using the phrase in earnest for the team (not for Kill). And only after that time, later, did it end up on the uniforms.

Of course, the use of Brick by Brick in terms of building a football team is nothing new. In fact, you can find a video of Maurice Linguist, former assistant under PJ Fleck, giving a speech about building defenses brick by brick when he was still at Mississippi State.

The first usage I could document on the internet was in 1999 in reference to the Clemson Tigers and a project at their stadium. I found no fewer than 30 different teams using it in under :60 seconds. Many examples both before and after Butch Jones made it up, including a high school in Chicago two years before Butch Jones was at Tennessee and the Arizona Cardinals (officially) and the San Francisco 49ers (Team fan site) this year. I'm sure if I tried harder, I could find more.

The University of Minnesota does have a history of using generic, well used mantras in support of athletics. You may remember (or maybe not, this happened before PJ Fleck) the University under Joel Maturi famously copying Penn State's use of "We Are, Penn State"" (fortunately for us, Maturi remembered to change it to Minnesota! before unleashing it)" Again, that's another phrase that's been used by many, many teams throughout history, but yeah, we still use that one today.

But, yeah. We put Butch Jones' mantra on our uniforms.

You've said we aren't the University of PJ Fleck, therefore RTB doesn't belong on our uniforms. Well we aren't the University of Brick By Brick either, so why does that belong on our uniforms? There's nothing unique about that branding to the University of Minnesota. Thanks again for further proving my point and providing many examples.

Didn't read the article either huh? ;)

I guess I'll ask.... what are even "defenders" to you?

Calling people "defenders" is usually just something someone says when can't bother to or simply can't understand what other people actually have to say..... "Oh man you're just -insert made up bucket here-!"

Last edited:

Just to chime in - the cheerleader's megaphones now say ROW THE BOAT down the side. I prefer to use actual U of M phrases, not phrases licensed to the U of M to use. But I'm not going to fight over it. I'm just not going to buy a shirt with it on it. And, at the Purdue game last year, after the rain delay and Purdue took over the game, our players were getting taunted mercilessly by the Purdue fans with phrases based on Row the Boat. If Fleck is able to get comfort or motivation, or convey it to others, as well as donate proceeds, from the phrase, that's great and I'm happy for that.

Just to chime in - the cheerleader's megaphones now say ROW THE BOAT down the side. I prefer to use actual U of M phrases, not phrases licensed to the U of M to use. But I'm not going to fight over it. I'm just not going to buy a shirt with it on it. And, at the Purdue game last year, after the rain delay and Purdue took over the game, our players were getting taunted mercilessly by the Purdue fans with phrases based on Row the Boat. If Fleck is able to get comfort or motivation, or convey it to others, as well as donate proceeds, from the phrase, that's great and I'm happy for that.

Yep.

Too deep for you huh? Even though you're being a dick again here's an answer.

The Pioneer Press article was about how RTW has had a very positive effect on a number of families. Even included that in the excerpt. Virtually none of the responses focused on any of that. You? You least of all. All you wanted to do was talk about your "pet project".

It's pretty easy to see. You have no interest in what RTB may be accomplishing, you just want to troll for posts.

Again.

Unless of course you thought any of these were praising the success of the program...:rolleyes:

I do apologize for perpetuating it. The RTB program and what Fleck does with it is great, and seeing examples in the press of the good it does is nice.

I guess I'll ask.... what are even "defenders" to you?

Calling people "defenders" is usually just something someone says when can't bother to or simply can't understand what other people actually have to say..... "Oh man you're just -insert made up bucket here-!"

So you were so bothered by the word "defender" so you couldn't be bothered to or simply couldn't understand what was actually being said in the post?

I think PJ is confused. I've not heard anyone make fun of Row the Boat. It's an awesome philosophy. It's a wonderful mantra for PJ Fleck and is inspiring for people. He seems to do a lot of good with it.

That does not change the fact that it does not belong on the University of Minnesota uniforms in any way, shape, or form.

If PJ Fleck wants to put advertising on the uniforms, then the University should change their policy to allow advertising for a brand on their uniforms. Then PJ Fleck can pay to advertise his brand on The University of Minnesota uniforms.

It is very doubtful that you attended the game. The RTB symbolizes so much positive for the Gophers and their true fans, that your negativity doesn’t belong anywhere near the University. Go back to the basement.

You've said we aren't the University of PJ Fleck, therefore RTB doesn't belong on our uniforms. Well we aren't the University of Brick By Brick either, so why does that belong on our uniforms? There's nothing unique about that branding to the University of Minnesota. Thanks again for further proving my point and providing many examples.

I for one don't think either belongs on any part of our uniforms but for a guy that claims he wants to change the culture doing the same stupid thing isn't helping. Just because you change the words doesn't mean it isn't still a stupid cliche and doesn't change the culture. Neither do all the other Fleckisms he uses either. Tons of coaches use shorthand and phrases for things. This is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're all stupid cliches. Might as well put baby steps on our helmets with a picture of a baby kitty too. That would scare our opponents.

? Wow, where you coming from? Russia?

It is very doubtful that you attended the game. The RTB symbolizes so much positive for the Gophers and their true fans, that your negativity doesn’t belong anywhere near the University. Go back to the basement.

Sorry I offended you with a difference of opinion on the uniforms, but I do have a lot of respect for what Fleck does with RTB, and apologize for calling that into question.

All I see are big beer bottles on those helmets. Distracting but sort of unique.

? Wow, where you coming from? Russia?

Don't get me wrong, coaches should use whatever mantra or cliche they like and if the kids like it and buy in great but putting it anywhere on the uniforms is dumb.

All I see are big beer bottles on those helmets. Distracting but sort of unique.
I just really want to win football games. If RTB or an oar, or a brick is on the uniform I don't really care. I think RTB amd what it stands for is great. I can take it or leave it on the uniforms...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

RTB is about being positive and staying focused and overcoming the hardest moments by staying on track.

The negative attitudes towards other people is not part of the RTB culture that Gopher football embraces.

Brick by brick was simply a silly slogan without much meaning.
Row The Boat basically has a whole curriculum of learning and personal improvement behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceland12 :

Too deep for you huh? Even though you're being a dick again here's an answer.

The Pioneer Press article was about how RTW has had a very positive effect on a number of families. Even included that in the excerpt. Virtually none of the responses focused on any of that. You? You least of all. All you wanted to do was talk about your "pet project".

It's pretty easy to see. You have no interest in what RTB may be accomplishing, you just want to troll for posts.

Again.

Unless of course you thought any of these were praising the success of the program...

I do apologize for perpetuating it. The RTB program and what Fleck does with it is great, and seeing examples in the press of the good it does is nice.

Understood and thanks. You're right, the results have been quite heart-warming.

Last edited:

This is ridiculous. We haven’t won a conference title since 1967, haven’t beat our “rival” in almost 15 years, so we go out get a new coach. The guy comes in and tries to change things and the fan base replies, “ that’s not how we do it here.” Well what we do here hasn’t worked in a long time...

Change doesn’t mean success, but continuity during failure breeds continued failure (as contuinity during sucess can maintain that success). What we were doing didn’t work, but instead of being complacent, were trying something new. Will it work? Who knows...if so awesome, if not try something new.

We should be happy they’re trying to deviate from the past, and as fans should be rooting for success with any move attempting to change the direction of our program. Instead here we are picking it apart

This is ridiculous. We haven’t won a conference title since 1967, haven’t beat our “rival” in almost 15 years, so we go out get a new coach. The guy comes in and tries to change things and the fan base replies, “ that’s not how we do it here.” Well what we do here hasn’t worked in a long time...

Change doesn’t mean success, but continuity during failure breeds continued failure (as contuinity during sucess can maintain that success). What we were doing didn’t work, but instead of being complacent, were trying something new. Will it work? Who knows...if so awesome, if not try something new.

We should be happy they’re trying to deviate from the past, and as fans should be rooting for success with any move attempting to change the direction of our program. Instead here we are picking it apart

I forget the term but there was a Scandinavian specific term where anyone deemed too flashy (and the standard for flashy is pretty low) is seen as violating a social norm.

I think Minnesotan's Scandinavian background has a bit of that. People don't like stuff that seems like out of the norm self promotion, even just being too excited.... or just generally you can't be too positive...

I remember back in 1884 when Ski U Mah was started and everyone was up in arms. Gopherhole was strictly operated using Pony Express and telegraph machines and some of the comments were incendiary. For ex.: "This dad gum new sayin' is from an Indian word 'ski' which is a Sioux battle cry. I don't want my Gophers associated with that. It should be a white saying not something that Butch Jones thought up."

Social media and the comments section on the internet are not a good place to get ideas. I'm not on social media much, to me it's not very, well, social.

I have seen and received much ribbing about PJ Fleck being our coach and his ridiculous vocabulary. I've heard all kinds of jokes about our uniforms. I have not heard one person who understood what Row The Boat is/means to PJ Fleck make fun of it (I've explained it to many of my friends and changed some minds).

I agree the players seem to have bought into the "culture" that Fleck is selling, and that's good.

Who said anything about getting ideas? My point was that a lot of people mock and make fun of RTB.

RTB is about being positive and staying focused and overcoming the hardest moments by staying on track.

Damn, I was hoping it was about winning football games.

The negative attitudes towards other people is not part of the RTB culture that Gopher football ‘embraces.

If you can’t be negative towards the Badgers and Iowa, should we even have a football team?

Brick by brick was simply a silly slogan without much meaning.
Row The Boat basically has a whole curriculum of learning and personal improvement behind it.
I agree. Row The Boat will soon surpass Christianity as one the worlds great religions and Fleck will be hailed as one of the great philosophers in human history. Three days after being crucified by the Badgers and their evil King Paul of Chryst, P.J. Fleck will rise from the dead in time to accept a bid to the Papa John’s Pizza Bowl in Detroit and perform a Xmas miracle by convincing more five hundred fan to show up.

Last edited:

I don't see what the problem is. Go ahead and Row the Boat every day, all day long.

If PJ ever leaves the University of Minnesota, stop rowing immediately to avoid copyright infringement.

But ! Loophole! You can still have your players visit sick kids in hospitals like every other college team does! Win-Win!!!

I don't see what the problem is. Go ahead and Row the Boat every day, all day long.

If PJ ever leaves the University of Minnesota, stop rowing immediately to avoid copyright infringement.

But ! Loophole! You can still have your players visit sick kids in hospitals like every other college team does! Win-Win!!!

This is where the negative effects of Lou Holtz still carry on. People still more worried about coaches leaving than embracing the success.
Lou Holtz did this to our community.

What is really interesting is how some of Fleck's biggest "defenders" don't give a damn how RTB is actually making a difference in some people's live. Guess they don't think it is?

Nope, they only give a damn about helmets and slogan's and arguing about previous coaching, not what a solid, positive program it has become.

Oh and trolling. A lot about trolling too.

It's still amazing to me how you label anyone who's positive and support of Fleck and the program 'defenders' and 'trolls'...and then consider yourself not one....

It's still amazing to me how you label anyone who's positive and support of Fleck and the program 'defenders' and 'trolls'...and then consider yourself not one....

"Amazing" you is easier then fooling a kitten...

Still trolling on an article that you still haven't read or addressed? Or talked about the main point? That RTB is having a positive effect. At least you recognized that fact by putting "defenders" in quote marks, or at least you tried to. You have shown little or no interest in the program just in posting variations of "I know you are are but what am I"

Thats the height of your originality by the way.;)

You're a troll pure and simple. You're often triggered by the chance to equate anything to previous coaches. Your teat gets in a ringer pretty easily when called out on it, but there it is.

Unless you see a lot of "positive and support for Fleck and the program" in your responses to a fine article about the good they are doing.

Who knows, even a slacker like yourself may finally get around to reading a article that you seem so obsessed with? :rolleyes:

Cue another trolling response then?

So the fact that Brick by Brick started and ended during the Kill/Claeys regime makes it a University product and not a Kill product? No. Kill used it in the same way that Fleck uses RTB. Yes, they referenced memorial stadium but bricks can reference any brick building. There was nothing unique about it to the University of Minnesota, especially considering Butch Jones at Tennessee was also using Brick by Brick at the same time. It has also been used by other teams. It's hypocritical to not have an issue with Brick by Brick but have an issue with Row The Boat on the uniform.

Yet you don’t. The same reasons you think RTB should not be on the uniform apply directly to brick by brick.

Maybe you should try reading your own posts and find your answer.

So you’re cool having Butch Jones mantra on our uniforms, who never coached here, but not Flecks, who does coach here. Makes sense..

Again all my responses were to someone who is always trolling on here...yet you still aren’t smart enough to figure that out. As always I feel sorry for you.

Thanks for continuing to out yourself

Again, how so? PJ says Ski-U-Mah constantly with RTB, and far more than any coaching staff that I can remember. RTB can be tied to Ski-U-Mah just as much as Brick by Brick can be tied to Memorial stadium. At least RTB is currently only tied to PJ and the University of Minnesota where as Brick by Brick has been, and continues to be used by other teams. Yet there's the continued outrage that RTB is tied into our uniforms when there was almost none for Brick by Brick.

You're not going to find the answers here so stop ruining threads by posting the same garbage over and over again.
:drink:

Now does anybody really think this guy read the article or even cares what RTB is actually accomplishing?

No, me neither.

Last edited:

Top Bottom