Sid Hartman: Big second quarter settles down young Gophers against New Mexico State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Before the Gophers’ 48-10 victory over New Mexico State on Thursday, coach P.J. Fleck said there was only one way to make sure quarterback Zack Annexstad — the first Gophers true freshman to start an opener since Tim Salem in 1980 — had a great start to his career.

“We just want to be better as a whole, as an offense, defense, special teams,” Fleck said. “It’s not just put on one guy.”

That’s exactly what Fleck saw against the Aggies, pointing out that several Gophers veterans turned what was a narrow 14-10 lead with 11 minutes left in the second quarter into a blowout.

Sophomore safety Antoine Winfield Jr. made the play of the game with a sensational punt return for 76 yards and a tide-turning touchdown that pushed the lead to 28-10. On top of that, junior linebacker Thomas Barber had an interception in the first quarter to set up the Gophers’ first touchdown. And then there was a blocked punt by junior defensive lineman Sam Renner that was recovered by junior linebacker Carter Coughlin early in the second half.

“They played a huge part in the game and we need our older players to dominate,” Fleck said. “They have to lead the way. They have to show these young guys how to play Gopher football.

“I thought they did that. I was very proud of those guys. Especially Carter Coughlin, [senior linebacker] Blake Cashman [who had eight tackles and a sack], Thomas Barber. I thought they played incredibly hard tonight. Antoine Winfield, it’s nice to have him back on the field, isn’t it?”

http://www.startribune.com/big-seco...g-gophers-against-new-mexico-state/492150961/

Go Gophers!!

Sid Hartman needs to retire. It was so hard to listen to the postgame press conferences with him asking stupid questions and mumbling.

I was watching the OL closely..... that first quarter made me REALLY nervous OL couldn't get a push, was falling WAY back on pass protection.

Better in the second quarter..... still nervous.

Top Bottom