STrib: P.J. Fleck's secret weapon? Former QB Seth Green

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

When Gophers coach P.J. Fleck approached Seth Green during fall camp about the possibility of running a wildcat formation, Green’s response was immediate and enthusiastic:

“Cool. Tell me what to do, and I’ll run it,” Green recalled Thursday night following the Gophers’ 48-10 season-opening victory over New Mexico State.

That’s exactly what the redshirt sophomore did twice Thursday, using the surprise move to score touchdown runs of 9 and 3 yards during a 28-point, game-changing second quarter for the Gophers.

That actually was a return to what once was natural for him. Green, who played quarterback at East Ridge, endured a “tough” conversation with Fleck this spring, when the coach told him he wouldn’t be a signal-caller anymore. But Fleck said he knew he would have to be creative with his young roster, and Green’s move opened up a lot of possibilities.

“It was a positive for us tonight. That doesn’t mean it’s always going to be … part of what we do, but it’s something we want to build on for sure,” Fleck said. “Giving up to be the third-string quarterback to play wildcat quarterback, a physical position, plus wide receiver, plus tight end. That takes a special individual, and I give him a lot of credit for thinking big-picture.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...-sneaks-into-gameplan-scores-twice/492149571/

Go Gophers!!

Creative use of talent that otherwise would have been wasted on the bench or thru a transfer.

Now I don't know much about this formation, but I could foresee a situation where we set up in it, but then he passes the ball because the other team things he's gonna keep it.

Is it really the Wildcat with Green back there? I get that he's not listed as a QB but he's still been one before for a long time, is a credible threat to pass, and you can be 100% sure there's multiple passing plays in the book out of that package.

I guess I always considered Wildcat to be when a true, nothing-else RB takes the snaps directly with little likelihood of a pass. This feels like having MarQueis Gray back there.

Nice glimpse of what could have been, at least on the ground, for him. He really looked powerful. Sometimes it really is all about the system you are in.

I've seen Seth in practice a few times.

He looked BIGGER last night.

Top Bottom