Post Game Speech - Game Balls - Scholarship?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
At the end, PJ gives out a game ball and says "now on scholarship", but I can't catch the players name.

What ta h#ll is that buzzing noise? It triggered my tinnitus.

I thought the game balls to Kaler and Coyle were, um, .... I didn't like it. The game balls belong to players and staff. There were plenty of very good and deserving on field performances.

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't think there was any good basis for Harvey McKay to even be in the locker room immediately post game. It's sort of like Jerry Jones sniffing up and down the Dallas Cowboy sidelines.

IMO.

There is nothing wrong with a gesture of goodwill.

I thought the game balls to Kaler and Coyle were, um, .... I didn't like it. The game balls belong to players and staff. There were plenty of very good and deserving on field performances.

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't think there was any good basis for Harvey McKay to even be in the locker room immediately post game. It's sort of like Jerry Jones sniffing up and down the Dallas Cowboy sidelines.

IMO.

I'm assuming Harvey wrote a check for something.
Otherwise, yes, I agree with you.

Sad when one of our key donors / supporters is 86 years old.
Where are all of our rich 50 and 60 year olds?

I'm assuming Harvey wrote a check for something.
Otherwise, yes, I agree with you.

Sad when one of our key donors / supporters is 86 years old.
Where are all of our rich 50 and 60 year olds?
Hard to believe a baby born on our last rose bowl appearance is almost 57

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I loved it.

The game balls...

He's letting everyone know that they are not bigger than the program...and the program is The President, the Athletic Director, a big donor...and, while everyone is waiting for him to award the final game ball to a big contributor of the game...he throws it out to a hard working kid, who exemplify's what PJ wants in a team, and throws him a scholarship as well.

The whole team goes crazy over that final game ball, and buys in more than they would for just a simple toss to the best player of the game.

PJ is the master of these moments.

There's going to be a few more opportunities for him to throw out game balls to the likes of Tyler, Rodney, Antoine, Zack, etc...but when you throw those guys the ball continuously, the novelty will wear off. I guarentee, that the 4 who received the game balls in week one, won't receive them again...PJ is showing the importance of the program from the bottom up.

0:45 is the best part.

"I think we're starting to develop a little bit of an offense." ;)

A lot left to prove, but there is a ceiling that we haven't seen since the Maroney days.

I found this really interesting when I watched it and had a different reaction than most. When PJ gave Kaler the game ball, the president told him that he wanted to get one with a Rose on it before he retired. Coyle did not look happy at all when PJ gave him the game ball, obviously I am just guessing here, but it's like Coyle is thinking: " I didn't hire you to beat NMSU ". The awarding of the scholarship is great and congrats to Swanson for earning it, but at basically any Power 5 school not named Kansas it strikes me as odd to choose to give game balls to the President and AD after a home win over New Mexico State. My cynical side suggests PJ's is worried that he won't have many game ball opportunities this year and wanted to make sure he gave his bosses one while he had a chance.

There is a generation or two of potential donors lost from alumni who went to the U of M from the time of C Peter McGrath, all the way to the time of Eric Kaler's predecessors.

That may be a problem moving forward if they cannot get those rich alumni from those eras to be interested in supporting U Athletics. It is never too late. Maybe the U may finally get a Rose Bowl appearance.

I wonder if Harvey McKay is the benefactor for all the Gopher team bonding/building activities.

Last edited:

IMO.

WTF?? I've been in the locker room post game. $500 donation. Quite common.

And Jerry Jones owns the most valuable sports franchise in the world. He can do what he wants.

I found this really interesting when I watched it and had a different reaction than most. When PJ gave Kaler the game ball, the president told him that he wanted to get one with a Rose on it before he retired. Coyle did not look happy at all when PJ gave him the game ball, obviously I am just guessing here, but it's like Coyle is thinking: " I didn't hire you to beat NMSU ". The awarding of the scholarship is great and congrats to Swanson for earning it, but at basically any Power 5 school not named Kansas it strikes me as odd to choose to give game balls to the President and AD after a home win over New Mexico State. My cynical side suggests PJ's is worried that he won't have many game ball opportunities this year and wanted to make sure he gave his bosses one while he had a chance.

I think you all missed the truly important part of Fleck’s little speech and the probable reason that Coyle looked perturbed. After praising Coyle he ended by saying “as you know it’s not easy to change things here at Minnesota.” The tone of the comment was insulting to the school that is paying him a large chuck of change and has given him everything he needs.

There is a generation or two of potential donors lost from alumni who went to the U of M from the time of C Peter McGrath, all the way to the time of Eric Kaler's predecessors.

That may be a problem moving forward if they cannot get those rich alumni from those eras to be interested in supporting U Athletics. It is never too late. Maybe the U may finally get a Rose Bowl appearance.

I wonder if Harvey McKay is the benefactor for all the Gopher team bonding/building activities.

You can add Kaler to that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom