Claeys’ sister still trolls Gophers Facebook page

benefits-of-kale-1296x728-feature.jpg

Also, given his loud grievances and those of the people closest to him, it's pretty clear Claeys is not head coach quality. He needs to be a bigger man. He was only the coach because Kill quit, and the U was in a bad situation with few easy choices. That's not a good reason to be the coach. It's clear he didn't really want to be here, and it's clear the U had him on a short leash, and he didn't pass the test even if he won some games. He just wasn't the right fit. Best to part ways, and best to quit lamenting a situation that was never ever going to work. As for his sister, it's time she learned some professionalism too.

Last edited:

Also, given his loud grievances and those of the people closest to him, it's pretty clear Claeys is not head coach quality. He needs to be a bigger man. He was only the coach because Kill quit, and the U was in a bad situation with few easy choices. That's not a good reason to be the coach. It's clear he didn't really want to be here, and it's clear the U had him on a short leash, and he didn't pass the test even if he won some games. He just wasn't the right fit. Best to part ways, and best to quit lamenting a situation that was never ever going to work. As for his sister, it's time she learned some professionalism too.

I felt like TC largely handled his side of things publicly ok after the firing, I don't recall him saying anything out of line after the fact. It's not like Jerry always kept quiet, he had plenty of comments about things but being established people didn't take issue with it.

TC might not be a good HC, but I don't think he said anything wrong after he was fired.

Last edited:

There would probably never have been a Gopher sex scandal if Kill or Mason had been coaching the team. And we can be damned sure it would never have happened under Fleck. TC didn't have control of his team on or off the field. Mason wasn't only critical of TC when he went to San Diego. He also said he would have punished the players who were responsible for the underage high school recruit drinking alcohol and getting him involved with the sex scandal. Everything that happened that night started because of them. TC never did a thing to punish any player who was involved. He had plenty of evidence to take action against multiple players for violating team rules. Strong coaches kick players off their teams all the time for doing far less. TC deserved to be fired and the U is far better off without him.
Except there was a rape scandal under Mason in 06, and one of the players was dumb enough to record it on their cell phone

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

According to Wikipedia …

On January 3, 2017, he was fired after public outrage over a team-led boycott in response to suspensions of 10 Minnesota football players accused of having a role in a sexual assault case. Claeys was on-record stating he "supports his players 1st amendment rights!"

This will be the way his firing will be remembered no matter what the true reasons were. It's another bad mark for the University in any case. Nothing short of winning a National Championship by Fleck can justify the U's nonsense in firing Claeys.

According to Wikipedia …

On January 3, 2017, he was fired after public outrage over a team-led boycott in response to suspensions of 10 Minnesota football players accused of having a role in a sexual assault case. Claeys was on-record stating he "supports his players 1st amendment rights!"

This will be the way his firing will be remembered no matter what the true reasons were. It's another bad mark for the University in any case. Nothing short of winning a National Championship by Fleck can justify the U's nonsense in firing Claeys.

What? Cause we were knocking on the door of a national championship before Fleck?

According to Wikipedia …

What you are saying seems to contradict what your quote is.

If the reason was public outrage, then the U would have been doing the right thing to comply to the wishes of the public outrage.
So if you are saying this will be the way things are remembered, then why do you consider it a nonsense firing?
Perhaps "supporting his players" instead of "leading his players" is what cost him most.

What you are saying seems to contradict what your quote is.

If the reason was public outrage, then the U would have been doing the right thing to comply to the wishes of the public outrage.
So if you are saying this will be the way things are remembered, then why do you consider it a nonsense firing?
Perhaps "supporting his players" instead of "leading his players" is what cost him most.

Yes. The administration handling of that mess was nonsense. They should have helped Claeys navigate through it instead of leaving him high and dry. Of course, it goes without saying that initial public outrage is always right.

Who cares what his sister said?

I think Claeyes got a bad deal, but there aren't many human beings whose opinions about Gopher football matter less to me than his sister's.

I wish Tracy luck and couldn't care less about his sister. Go Gophers.

Dumb. Fleck will have some kids do something really stupid at some point. Some people will blame the coach. As much as PJ bugs me, I won’t blame him. There are over 100 college-age students on the team, and at some point someone will do something really dumb, just as in the overall Student population.

That wasn’t Claeys fault, it wasn’t Chryst’s fault whatever allegedly happened with a couple WRs in Wisconsin, and won’t be PJs fault when something else happens here. Yet, when it happens, there will be people who jump all over the coach because it’s an opportunity for them to rail against the coach, just as FtFs, GWG, and you did here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume that PJ may have a player do something stupid, but you can guarantee that there won’t be 6 guys standing inline wait to do the same thing. The coach creates the overall culture of responsibility and respect. It is an excuse to not hold the coach accountable for the overall actions of his players. The parents agreed to allow there kids to a part of the team, not some gang. PJ is trying to create a team full of the type of player that stopped the incident instead of guys that would rather than join in.

Last edited:

Yes. The administration handling of that mess was nonsense. They should have helped Claeys navigate through it instead of leaving him high and dry. Of course, it goes without saying that initial public outrage is always right.

Yeah, well... they let the coach try to lead the team and that didn't work.

I would assume that PJ may have a player do something stupid, but you can guarantee that there won’t be 6 guys standing inline wait to do the same thing. The coach creates the overall culture of responsibility and respect. It is an excuse to not hold the coach accountable for the overall actions of his players. The parents agreed to allow there kids to a part of the team, not some gang.

Wow. You are unreal.

I would assume that PJ may have a player do something stupid, but you can guarantee that there won’t be 6 guys standing inline wait to do the same thing. The coach creates the overall culture of responsibility and respect. It is an excuse to not hold the coach accountable for the overall actions of his players. The parents agreed to allow there kids to a part of the team, not some gang.

Not if, but when something bad happens with a Gopher football player, and with time being the enemy, we all know eventually it will happen, I expect Fleck will move quickly to remove player from the team as much as he can while complying with University rules.

I would assume that PJ may have a player do something stupid, but you can guarantee that there won’t be 6 guys standing inline wait to do the same thing. The coach creates the overall culture of responsibility and respect. It is an excuse to not hold the coach accountable for the overall actions of his players. The parents agreed to allow there kids to a part of the team, not some gang. PJ is trying to create a team full of the type of player that stopped the incident instead of guys that would rather than join in.

I wish the Claeys fans would quit bringing up his name. Seems like everytime we bring up Claeys I get a sick feeling from remembering how badly the team was viewed at that point.
Fortunately in the last 18 months or so, the program has really cleaned up and is changing public perception.

Who cares what his sister said?

I think Claeyes got a bad deal, but there aren't many human beings whose opinions about Gopher football matter less to me than his sister's.

I wish Tracy luck and couldn't care less about his sister. Go Gophers.

I agree. Sister is getting last laugh actually making this thread go as long as it is. Let it die.

Yeah, well... they let the coach try to lead the team and that didn't work.

Mason also talked about the head football coach being the leader of his football team and not a follower. He said if it was him rather than Claeys he would have taken the first plane back from San Diego and called a meeting of all his players. The first thing he would have told them is that any player who boycotts the bowl game will never play for the Gophers again. That's the kind of leadership we all have a right to expect from any coach at the U. We got the exact opposite from Claeys. Not only did he refuse to punish any of his players for violating team rules he publicly supported the players while throwing his bosses under the bus in a way that became a national new story. Claeys deserved everything Coyle said about him at Fleck's hiring news conference. His handling of the sex scandal was a complete disgrace.

Mason also talked about the head football coach being the leader of his football team and not a follower. He said if it was him rather than Claeys he would have taken the first plane back from San Diego and called a meeting of all his players. The first thing he would have told them is that any player who boycotts the bowl game will never play for the Gophers again. That's the kind of leadership we all have a right to expect from any coach at the U. We got the exact opposite from Claeys. Not only did he refuse to punish any of his players for violating team rules he publicly supported the players while throwing his bosses under the bus in a way that became a national new story. Claeys deserved everything Coyle said about him at Fleck's hiring news conference. His handling of the sex scandal was a complete disgrace.

Agree. Maybe Coyle wanted Fleck here regardless, but I don't see how any competent AD could have left Claeys in as coach after how he handled that situation. Now, there is some legitimate question of how much support Claeys got from Coyle & company, but to basically be insubordinate during that type of investigation is a surefire way to get fired.

The fact that in his interview with the Pioneer Press months after his firing he still didn't think the U had authority to do the investigation, where they not only have authority but they have a legal obligation, showed that he really had no business being a head coach.

As to those that think this could "never happen" with Fleck, I certainly won't say that. Obviously there is a lot more focus on trying to prevent this, but to say this absolutely won't happen is silly. Heck, for all you know it happened over the weekend. People will make bad choices no matter what positive influences they have in their life. How the situation is handled will be the litmus of what type of coach Fleck is, not whether it happens.

There are some things that are just beyond the control of any coach - unless you padlock the players in their rooms at night. I remember when Brandon Hall was killed. Mason reportedly told the players after the game to be smart, and stay away from known trouble-spots. so what happens, some players go to one of the clubs that was supposed to be off-limits, some trouble breaks out, and Hall gets shot while reportedly trying to break up the fracas or serve as a peace-maker.

Whatever you might think about Claeys as a coach or a leader, he did not want his players to get into trouble. No coach does.

Agree. Maybe Coyle wanted Fleck here regardless, but I don't see how any competent AD could have left Claeys in as coach after how he handled that situation. Now, there is some legitimate question of how much support Claeys got from Coyle & company, but to basically be insubordinate during that type of investigation is a surefire way to get fired.

The fact that in his interview with the Pioneer Press months after his firing he still didn't think the U had authority to do the investigation, where they not only have authority but they have a legal obligation, showed that he really had no business being a head coach.

As to those that think this could "never happen" with Fleck, I certainly won't say that. Obviously there is a lot more focus on trying to prevent this, but to say this absolutely won't happen is silly. Heck, for all you know it happened over the weekend. People will make bad choices no matter what positive influences they have in their life. How the situation is handled will be the litmus of what type of coach Fleck is, not whether it happens.

Claeys stated he doesn’t think players get a fair shake with the processes in place and he’s absolutely correct. He didn’t state what I bolded above. It’s fair to criticize the optics of his tweet.

We need more people like Claeys, and fewer like Coyle and Kaler. Claeys/Sawvel/Sherels took a hit for standing up for the rights of their guys. I honestly can’t see PJ doing the same. I think he’d bow to public pressure as quickly as the admin did.

Anyone know what her favorite color, drink, is she into blackjack?

How about this instead of your bolded statement:
I don't see how any competent Board of Regents could have left Coyle as AD and Kaler as President for how they mishandled that entire situation.

I don't see how any competent Board of Regents could have left Coyle as AD and Kaler as President for how they mishandled that entire situation.

I'm inclined to agree.

No AD should show up late to the party "oh my the house is on fire" when they obviously knew it before and did nothing....

You conveniently forgot that the Board of Regents hired a law firm and paid them a lot of money to do an investigation and write a report about how Kaler and Coyle handled the situation.

The law firm report concluded that it wasn't mishandled in anyway. Kaler and Coyle followed the U procedures in every way.

Review finds Univ. of Minnesota complied with law, policy during Gophers football suspensions

A report by a law firm hired by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents says the university complied with applicable law and policy during its investigation and subsequent handling of the sexual assault allegations against 10 Gopher football players last fall.

Ten Gophers players were suspended last fall for their alleged involvement in a September 2016 incident in which another student claimed she was pressured into having sex with multiple football players. No criminal charges were filed, but the U of M Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action conducted its own investigation into the allegations. Five of the players were eventually cleared and five were expelled or suspended.

Based on its review, the law firm found that the university complied with applicable law and policy with respect to the Student Conduct Code process.

“The university provides substantial due process protections in its EOAA investigations, including protections that far exceed the due process protections of other Big 10 universities,” the report read.

The law firm also concluded that the university’s suspension decisions – the initial decisions to suspend the 10 players, then to lift the suspensions and then later to impose new suspensions – were “consistent with university policy and law.”

Dorsey & Whitney concluded that multiple factors contributed to boycott:

- Underlying alleged misconduct

- A lack of understanding by student-athletes and Athletics Department personnel of the Student Conduct Code disciplinary process

- Allowing access to and influence over the football team and coaching staff by third parties

- Weak leadership by the football team coaching staff

- Impaired communications and a breakdown in trust between the University leadership and the football team due in part to the University leadership’s inability to share private student information

Read more at: http://www.fox9.com/news/report-u-of-m-complied-with-law-policy-during-football-sexual-assault-case

Last edited:

Top Bottom