Annual stadium issues

Maybe it because I don’t know the song, but it’s just not a very good hype song. I see Iowa with AC/DC and Virginia tech with Metalica and the power riffs just get you excited. The song we have doesn’t even go that well with the rowing movement they do

I think it really is a bad as hype music ... just doesn't work. Wrong place for it.

I'm pretty old school as well. Always been partial to Crazy Train...think it would work well.

Well considering there were less than 30K in the stadium it is hard to evaluate, but I thought there some good things going on.

-it is easier to get a good craft beer at TCF than at Target Field where the crap Bud Light/ Golden Draft swill is at most of the taps

-on the beer side, random tubs of canned beer offered for sale d all over the place- cash only but still a nice touch

-the band played a lot and was easy to hear = liess PA/ scoreboard crap than I remember relative to recent years during breaks

-the food offerings seemed better, even though I only drink beer at the games and eat prior or later elsewere

-Security seemed to have it together at the lines for the scanning process

-The general level of apathy and empty seats in high level donation seats was again stunning- I was very much considering moving over to row 1 in the 40 to 40 area the whole game as no one was ever in most of those seats (home side)

-

-

-The general level of apathy and empty seats in high level donation seats was again stunning- I was very much considering moving over to row 1 in the 40 to 40 area the whole game as no one was ever in most of those seats (home side)

-

That's what we get when the price point is beyond the reach of real fans.

On the plus side, I'll offer a shout out to the stadium workers charged with keeping the plaza area tidy. They were all over the place, working hard and being friendly ... which can't be easy when your job is cleaning up other people's garbage.

JTG

get rid of the canned music, people like college football for the tradition, pageantry, bands, etc, never been told someone goes to the game because they have great canned music. also the banners around the top of the stadium were all rolled up, you would see the mechanicals and all the crap on the roof. it was like no one knew they had a game last night. Free programs were very nice, the Oak St ramp was a cluster F getting out, they had everyone going the same direction instead of spitting up the traffic as they have done for the last number of years. it seems like they have no idea how to enhance the fan experience. I have season tix, so I go no matter what they do or dont do, but know some people go, have a bad experience and dont come back, which they can not afford to have happen

I liked the canned music as it provides a lot more energy than the band.

I went to a game at Notre Dame, which has more tradition than any school, and they had canned music playing throughout the game.

I tried to use my NEW Gopher Loyalty Card for the $5.00 discount at a Stadium Snacks concession and they had no idea what I was talking about and would not honor the card....this is what's supposed to make my game day experience better??? Really???

Same here. Lady looked at me like I had two heads. Luckily I grabbed the mailing that it came with and she said I don't know anything about it but we will honor it.

You would have thought they would have passed a memo along to the concession stands that this was going to be done. I understand that the people working the stand are usually volunteer groups, but she even asked the manager and he had no idea!

Good:

Security was a breeze. Much more efficient than last year.
Cleanliness. Is it just me, or did there seem to be more people picking up the place throughout the game?

Bad:

Parking. We park at the law school, Lot 86. I drove by it earlier in August and saw that it was under construction. When I called the Parking department and asked if it was going to be done on time, the person who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about, and when I asked to talk to her supervisor because I was concerned about my tailgating spot, she hung up on me.
Called back a few days later. And the lady says, "Why do people keep calling about that, how am I supposed to know." I responded that they are the parking department and should know. She finally let me leave a voicemail to her boss, who never returned my call. I did receive a call a few days before the game stating that we would have to park at a new lot, 13, and that it was on the east bank. When I asked where exactly it was, he couldn't tell me, but that it was by a medical building. He said an email would be sent, it never arrived. Thankfully, I knew someone who worked at U Market Services and he told me where the lot was. I can't believe that the parking department would be that incompetent. Just ridiculous.

TVs in the concourse. Can they just please invest the money, and get them all synched together. Some of the feeds are 5-10 minutes behind, and we are always getting made fun of that by opposing fans.

My eternal vigil to update the flags on the north rim of the stadium continues. I make one post here per year about it. There are eleven flag poles with five shorter ones on each side of a taller center pole. When the stadium was built there were eleven teams in the B1G. The UofM flag was on the taller center pole with each of the other smaller poles sporting flags for the other 10 teams in the conference. Once Nebraska entered the league, instead of adding a pole - they just said "F it" and replaced the conference flags with 100% gopher flags.

Yes...embrace the Big Ten!

Also I wish we had better tunnel music when they are rowing

^^This

During Kill's first couple years, they played the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song. I remember the crowd would go crazy seeing those boys walk down the tunnel. Last couple years have been very unenthusiastic. Which is strange since PJ is our head coach. They definitely need to do something different in this regard. Love the heart beat bit they do, though.

As far as playing Swag Surfin' for the kickoff song, I think it's a great choice and absolutely brings the juice. It's obvious a team decision was made to have that as their song. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. Gets the students and more importantly the team into the entire situation.

Last time I was at TCF it was for a United game. I was surprised by the small size of the TV's.

Would it be too much to upgrade?

Iam gonna go yell at a cloud and shake my fist

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It is time to consider new technology to serve multiple Wifi and smart phone users at stadiums on game days.

Last time I was at TCF it was for a United game. I was surprised by the small size of the TV's.

Would it be too much to upgrade?

Not important in my opinion. I just glance at them anyway for an update if I'm running to the bathroom or something.

Bad:

Parking. We park at the law school, Lot 86. I drove by it earlier in August and saw that it was under construction. When I called the Parking department and asked if it was going to be done on time, the person who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about, and when I asked to talk to her supervisor because I was concerned about my tailgating spot, she hung up on me.
Called back a few days later. And the lady says, "Why do people keep calling about that, how am I supposed to know." I responded that they are the parking department and should know. She finally let me leave a voicemail to her boss, who never returned my call. I did receive a call a few days before the game stating that we would have to park at a new lot, 13, and that it was on the east bank. When I asked where exactly it was, he couldn't tell me, but that it was by a medical building. He said an email would be sent, it never arrived. Thankfully, I knew someone who worked at U Market Services and he told me where the lot was. I can't believe that the parking department would be that incompetent. Just ridiculous.

Wild guess (that could be wrong!): the U parking dept has nothing to do with tailgating at the U.

Perhaps you, and from the sounds of it lots of other people, mistakenly think that the parking department must be in charge, because that's their name. But names can be deceiving. I would suggest calling a number for fan support, like a fan helpline or just try calling the ticket office and ask for a number to help with tailgating. A fan helpline should be able to provide much better support, than a dept that handles parking tickets, enforces meters, and manages pay lots during the week for regular students/commuters and has nothing to do with tailgating operations.

Wild guess (that could be wrong!): the U parking dept has nothing to do with tailgating at the U.

Perhaps you, and from the sounds of it lots of other people, mistakenly think that the parking department must be in charge, because that's their name. But names can be deceiving. I would suggest calling a number for fan support, like a fan helpline or just try calling the ticket office and ask for a number to help with tailgating. A fan helpline should be able to provide much better support, than a dept that handles parking tickets, enforces meters, and manages pay lots during the week for regular students/commuters and has nothing to do with tailgating operations.

I can see them possibly not knowing about tailgating (although, they should), but they should definitely know if their lots are under construction or not. That's pretty simple.

I can see them possibly not knowing about tailgating (although, they should), but they should definitely know if their lots are under construction or not. That's pretty simple.

You might be surprised how silo'ed some operations depts are from one another!

I emailed them about running out of water this is what i got back.

What I can say is that any time our vendor contracts come up for renewal, we take into consideration a number of past experiences - inducing experiences such as the one we had last weekend. That being said, I would not anticipate a change in vendor before that contract expires or a change based solely on Saturday.

To take steps to ensure this does not happen in the future - there have been a number of precautionary protocols that we have reviewed and updated internally. The vendor we work with on concessions has been receptive to making changes and committing to this never happening again. The largest changes I can share with you are:
They have revisited the equations they use to determine how many beverages to have on site for Gopher Football Games. This has largely been a company wide practice of which they do not experience national issues - It is not in their best interest to run out of anything, let alone the single most in demand product.
More importantly - for games that take place on days that are 85 degrees or warmer, there will be a semi truck staged near the stadium full of bottled water to be used in the event they run out of water in the stadium.
I hope this offers at least some reassurance that this is a very serious matter for Gopher Athletics as well as all the vendors we work with on game day.

I emailed them about running out of water this is what i got back.

At least there are some actionable comments in the response. Better than the typical apologies, we take our customers seriously, etc type of stuff.

Can they also have semi trucks staged near the stadium loaded with chopped onions, pickle relish and sauerkraut?! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can they also have semi trucks staged near the stadium loaded with chopped onions, pickle relish and sauerkraut?! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Bravo Team! Those onions are down to 13% ! GO GO GO!"

So that explains the gigantic lines and why it's the highest grossing food stand at the fair.

I love em as much as the next guy, but it's not like 5 out of 10 home bakers who make chocolate chip cookies can't make a product that would almost match it in similarity for taste.

Having any chocolate chip cookie stand serving warm cookies would be a good seller.

Top Bottom