Annual stadium issues

Flecknation

Reaction score
1. Band is still playing over PA seems to be an issue every year. its not that hard to communicate oblivious they going to play music on the PA before every kick off.
2. Microphone clicking issues.

Anything else you guys notices?

It was better than in past years when the Vikings were playing and we got the B production team....

The home side was out of ketchup for a longtime... pretty terrible.

Also the Dramatic Gopher is missing again ... I fear they aren't doing that anymore.

I sit in Sec 117 and bought a hot dog one minute in to the second quarter. When I turned around and went to the condiment stand all of bins that held onions, relish, sauerkraut, etc were completely empty! The ketchup and mustard dispensers had product in them, so I just put mustard on my dog. How the heck can you be out out of the other condiments so early at a game that was sparsely attended? Isn't somebody charged with checking on the condiment stands and making sure they are fully stocked? (I know I might be bitching about something people may consider minor, but it pissed me off at that time).

Still haven't got the 3rd-4th transition back to where it was a couple years ago. Better than last year, but their timing is off, music playing over music and ran too long and had to be stopped as play was beginning. First game, so they have time. I think they must believe "Doing the Gopher" needs to go on longer than it does.

BTW, what was the announced attendance last night? When we showed up to our seats ten minutes before the game it looked like the Spring game from 2-3 years ago. Early start affected that as it filled in as the game went on, but i figured maybe 30,000 - 35,000

BTW, what was the announced attendance last night? When we showed up to our seats ten minutes before the game it looked like the Spring game from 2-3 years ago. Early start affected that as it filled in as the game went on, but i figured maybe 30,000 - 35,000

I’m sure they will exaggerate attendance. Thursday opener needs to end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Band is still playing over PA seems to be an issue every year. its not that hard to communicate oblivious they going to play music on the PA before every kick off.
2. Microphone clicking issues.

Anything else you guys notices?

Do they have registers at the food booths yet? j/k

I tried to use my NEW Gopher Loyalty Card for the $5.00 discount at a Stadium Snacks concession and they had no idea what I was talking about and would not honor the card....this is what's supposed to make my game day experience better??? Really???

Mrs. Billd was not keen on the "emcee" for some of the promos. I figure she's there to connect with the kids. Certainly a looker.

Also, gave away two $1000 scholarships in the 4th quarter. Most of the students had left (just an observation, not a complaint) so chances better than earlier in the game.

Not sure about the Channel 45 Weather Guy. I'll take Dave Dahl any time.

I think the media timeout clock is new this season and a welcome addition. Also, just a reminder that the break between the 3rd and 4th quarters was shortened last season.

There were some minor issues with the replay early. For a while, I thought they weren't going to show a Gopher dropping a pass. My favorite replay came after a pass completion in the first quarter: the replayed part was Zack and Rodney looking to the bench a couple of times.

Anyone else notice the stadium announcer referred to "Antwan Shenault?" C'mon...he's a senior...they should know his name by now! Of course Darrell Thompson referenced Chris "Autumn" Bell late in the game. Guess it is pre-season for the announcers as well.

One thing that bugged me: Sitting in the lower bowl, I could hear the radio coverage blaring in the concourse. I wasn't sure if it was because there were so few people in the stands or if it was just too damn loud. I don't mind that they have the broadcast piped into the bathrooms, but is it necessary on the concourse?

The “music” they played before kicks was pure torture. Mic the band properly and let them play.

I sit in Sec 117 and bought a hot dog one minute in to the second quarter. When I turned around and went to the condiment stand all of bins that held onions, relish, sauerkraut, etc were completely empty! The ketchup and mustard dispensers had product in them, so I just put mustard on my dog. How the heck can you be out out of the other condiments so early at a game that was sparsely attended? Isn't somebody charged with checking on the condiment stands and making sure they are fully stocked? (I know I might be bitching about something people may consider minor, but it pissed me off at that time).

I was in 110 same deal. How do they not have people who keep them filled up? Minor but annoying. My kid was pretty mad there wasn't onions for his dog, 11 year old drama LOL.

The “music” they played before kicks was pure torture. Mic the band properly and let them play.

+1 I ended up liking the purple lamborghini pre kickoff last year, thought it was cool. This was terrible.

The replays was RIDICULOUS. Very poor job. PA always drives me nuts, last night was no different. Poor crowd and too many showed up late.

What I want to know is, who's in charge of getting replays up on the board? Very frustrating not being able to get a second look at certain plays. This was an issue last year, as well. As far as I'm concerned, this is the biggest downer of the game-day experience.

And while this next one isn't a stadium issue, the overabundance of media timeouts are a complete buzzkill. Hard to get into the flow of the game when it's constantly interrupted for commercial breaks. But I guess that's the price we pay for having the games televised.

Finally, echoing the thread earlier in the week about decreasing attendance -- the Gophers would be well-advised to roll back ticket prices to a level more commensurate with the product (particularly when the visiting team is someone like New Mexico State). I attended last night's game with my oldest son. If tickets weren't ridiculously priced, I would have had my wife and three younger kids along as well.

There's a lot to be said for lowering ticket prices in order to fill the place up, and recouping some of the revenue from food and beverage sales. The ONLY time to consider raising prices is when you're consistently sold out -- particularly when you're a public university playing in a publicly funded stadium.

Otherwise, had a great time at the game. Excited by the potential for this team to grow!

JTG

If they lower prices and the stadium fills as a result, they might as well throw away any ketchup they do have before the game starts because It likely won't last until opening kickoff. The ketchup to patron level would reach the same odds as the powerball.

You guys are looking at it all wrong, I didn't have to wait in line longer than 2 minutes for a beer or food all night and never had to wait in line for a urinal. Also walked right up to the gate and through the metal detector without a line (actually had to slow down and pause to get my keys and phone out) 30 mins before kick off. The small crowd makes for a much better experience if you don't care about the atmosphere ! :rolleyes:

One thing that bugged me: Sitting in the lower bowl, I could hear the radio coverage blaring in the concourse. I wasn't sure if it was because there were so few people in the stands or if it was just too damn loud. I don't mind that they have the broadcast piped into the bathrooms, but is it necessary on the concourse?

I was in 140, very close to the concourse, did not experience that, maybe a local speaker setting issue?

Floss with Goldy was amusing....half the students refused, half participated.

3rd to 4th dance thing got interrupted so I couldn't tell if they fixed it or not.

My eternal vigil to update the flags on the north rim of the stadium continues. I make one post here per year about it. There are eleven flag poles with five shorter ones on each side of a taller center pole. When the stadium was built there were eleven teams in the B1G. The UofM flag was on the taller center pole with each of the other smaller poles sporting flags for the other 10 teams in the conference. Once Nebraska entered the league, instead of adding a pole - they just said "F it" and replaced the conference flags with 100% gopher flags.

My eternal vigil to update the flags on the north rim of the stadium continues. I make one post here per year about it. There are eleven flag poles with five shorter ones on each side of a taller center pole. When the stadium was built there were eleven teams in the B1G. The UofM flag was on the taller center pole with each of the other smaller poles sporting flags for the other 10 teams in the conference. Once Nebraska entered the league, instead of adding a pole - they just said "F it" and replaced the conference flags with 100% gopher flags.

I will support you in this if you help me raise awareness of the stupid grey shack on top of the stadium that is grey rather than painted stadium colors .... would be a good place for logos and such.

Above visiting fan section...... aesthetically very unpleasant.

Also...

Not sure about "Do the Floss" bit. Looks like this is a YouTube thing?

For those who might have already left "Hail Minnesota" postgame was executed flawlessly.

I will support you in this if you help me raise awareness of the stupid grey shack on top of the stadium that is grey rather than painted stadium colors .... would be a good place for logos and such.

Above visiting fan section...... aesthetically very unpleasant.

Weird. Was is it for? I'll have to investigate. I haven't been in that area before.

Weird. Was is it for? I'll have to investigate. I haven't been in that area before.

They are elevators. I agree that some sprucing up of the gray facade would be nice.

I echo the comment of the flags. I miss them.

The security lines were efficient.

I liked the game day programs. I told my wife on the way to the stadium "shoot, I forgot to print a roster". Problem solved.

I also noticed the radio broadcast interfering with the PA at the top of the lower bowl. I watched the last few minutes from there and would hate if it were like that all game.

They are elevators. I agree that some sprucing up of the gray facade would be nice.

I echo the comment of the flags. I miss them.

The security lines were efficient.

I liked the game day programs. I told my wife on the way to the stadium "shoot, I forgot to print a roster". Problem solved.

I also noticed the radio broadcast interfering with the PA at the top of the lower bowl. I watched the last few minutes from there and would hate if it were like that all game.

Yeah the gameday handouts are great. Unexpected great move by the folks planning things. Good size (programs were enormous).

I would love to see them employ some students to make some art for the cover, something like you saw like 40 years ago, lots of mixed styles and such rather than just photos (granted those are cheap).

One more thing: Bob Motzko and Lindsey Whalen should have both had a segment where they were introduced. One less farm family or donor family intro. Not fair to Motzko because obviously everyone is going to go nuts for Lindsey. Actually her introduction might have impacted the game, injected some energy!

Top Bottom