PJ Fleck gave a scholarship to safety Calvin Swenson with a game ball after 48-10 win

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow - Good for him! He earned it, worked hard and had a good Spring.

Is the three PWOs on scholie this year? Bailey Schoenfelder, Brock Annexstad, and Calvin Swenson. When was the last time the Gophers give out this many scholies in one season? That is a big thumbs up on the PWO program.

Wow - Good for him! He earned it, worked hard and had a good Spring.

Is the three PWOs on scholie this year? Bailey Schoenfelder, Brock Annexstad, and Calvin Swenson. When was the last time the Gophers give out this many scholies in one season? That is a big thumbs up on the PWO program.

I know what you meant, but would also like to point out that Sam Renner (#90, DL) played quite a bit with the #1 defense, and I don't think he was a scholarship player to start out?? Think he got a scholly last year.

Beat out a lot of guys it appears ... good for him, and all the guys who have earned a scholly!! Love it

Cool stuff. Love the way the moment is shared with his teammates and the love and enthusiasm they respond with -- Keep rowin', men!

I really get a kick out of Fleck, but I think he should change his middle initial to "R," as in PR Fleck. I love his energy and I hope it translates to a good product on the field.

I really get a kick out of Fleck, but I think he should change his middle initial to "R," as in PR Fleck. I love his energy and I hope it translates to a good product on the field.

Publicizing giving walk ons scholarships definitely can’t hurt in recruiting them. Could very well see an improvement in the quality of walk ons we see in the next few years because of the visibility ours are getting. Cool to see

Congratulations to this Calvin Swenson. Getting a scholarship is a blessing to his entire family.
That being said, I thought Fleck said the reason why Annexstad didn't get a scholarship was because we had none to give out. Someone please explain how Fleck can then find a scholarship to hand out? What am I missing?

Not all scholarships fall into the same category.

Congratulations to this Calvin Swenson. Getting a scholarship is a blessing to his entire family.
That being said, I thought Fleck said the reason why Annexstad didn't get a scholarship was because we had none to give out. Someone please explain how Fleck can then find a scholarship to hand out? What am I missing?

We've already used up all of our 2018-specific scholarships (25 per year), so you have to wait to give a scholarship to a freshman until at least next spring.

NCAA rules do not allow him to receive a scholarship immediately. Can get one in January at the earliest.

Otherwise teams could just sign 30 guys, have 5 of them be preferred walk-ons and then just give them scholarships as soon as they step on campus.

Annexstad can't receive one until next year.
Fleck didn't have one to give him from the 2018 class because he used it on those two IMG lineman Zack recruited.
After a few Sophomores or Juniors leave after this season, he'll have another scholarship for Zack.

PJ out here giving Oprah a run for her money... "YOU get a scholarship, and YOU get a scholarship, and YOU get a scholarship"

Each scholarship does apply to our 85 max cap. I wonder if the two recent scholarships will renew next year? If so, that limits the number of recruits we can sign.

Great PR! You walk-on and work hard, and you can earn a scholie. The word has to be out to guys who dreamed of playing for the U, but opted NDSU, SD, etc... for financial reasons with assured scholies.

I'd wish Trevor Oppedal, the 6'7" 275 OT from Blue Earth would have considered sticking to his PWO commitment with the U. He opted for Winona State instead. The Gophers can always use more OTs. But, in the end he chose what is best for him and his family.

Current or former walk-ons started at QB, led the team in tackles, and blocked a punt last night, among other things I didn't list. A great walk-on program bringing in the types of guys who would have defected to places like NDSU is definitely something to keep growing and promoting.

One thing that we can be very proud of is how many MN kids contributed to the winning effort against NMSU.

Each scholarship does apply to our 85 max cap. I wonder if the two recent scholarships will renew next year? If so, that limits the number of recruits we can sign.

If they didn’t get the scholly their first year, then it’s not required to renew it. Fleck might still choose to, but he has the option.

Calvin is 2nd on depth chart at DB behind Jacob Huff.

Just had to watch this again. Super awesome click! He knows how to fire these guys up as well as the supporters of Gopher Football.

Top Bottom