What grade would you give Zack Annexstad in his first career start?

• A

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • B

Votes: 94 64.8%
  • C

Votes: 17 11.7%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Not super sharp, but talented. For the most part this first-time driver kept the car out of the ditch.

Super accurate passing first half, not so much second half.

The deep ball needs work.
Better to over-throw than under throw.

But on a couple the WR's got jostled a bit so that timing may have been off.

It's refreshing to see the coaches going for downfield shots and first down passing.

Gave a B mainly because of the fumbled snap. Couldn't tell if was early but did look a little to the side. Like Coach says it's all about the ball.

Looked like he was in command. Great start.

A!

When is the last time someone threw for over 200 yards? Weber? I think he surpassed Leidner on the all time Gopher passing yards list in the fourth drive?

Over 500 of total offense tonight? That would have taken 7 years under Claeys

On a curve for being a walk on true freshman, A.

Very good B without a curve.

A!

When is the last time someone threw for over 200 yards? Weber? I think he surpassed Leidner on the all time Gopher passing yards list in the fourth drive?

Leidner had thirteen 200+ yard passing games in his career.

C

He showed potential to be the best Gopher QB in recent memory, and it was nice to see someone play okay at the QB spot after several years of disappointment.
However, he fumbled a snap, some of his balls were late arriving, more were overthrown, and he lost focus in the second half.

Not a great performance when measured against the entire body of college QBs. ****ing awesome performance compared to what I'm used to seeing.

He looked comfortable and confident. Maybe a little too confident. Overthrew quite a few balls. The deep pass needs work. But otherwise, he looks sharper than any QB I've seen for the Gophers since 2010.

Nice little piece on him on Sports Center with Scott Van Pelt tonight after the win

I give him a B

Strong first half, seemed off in the 2nd. A few missed balls but that's to be expected. Looks to have great poise in the pocket and great vision which are all things I've never been able to say about a Gophers QB.

B

Great game for a true freshman. I’m worried about his progression. He focuses on a receiver after the snap and that’s where he goes.

I voted "B" in the spirit of a "4" on a 1-5 star scale.

★★★★

B on the academic scale is more of a middle of the road.

Leidner had thirteen 200+ yard passing games in his career.

The team had 461 total yards against Michigan when Kill stepped away.
But if 500 total yards is the benchmark, the team had 593 against Indiana State.

Some of you are saying Annextad got hurt. When did that happen?

They were working on Zach's left arm at some point during the game.

I gave him an "A". First start as a walk-on freshman, no interceptions, only one snap miscue, stayed in the game after an injury and threw for 2 touchdowns. Add in that both of his recruits played on the offensive line and I'd say he had a great night.

I gave B. Might have gone A, but I attribute some his success to the WR. He might have the best group of targets that we have seen here in some time.

I gave B. Might have gone A, but I attribute some his success to the WR. He might have the best group of targets that we have seen here in some time.

TJ trying hard to prove you wrong on his first drop.

Some of you are saying Annextad got hurt. When did that happen?

When he actually kept the ball on that silly read-option thing. Handed off about 15 times before then, their DE's started to completely ignore him, so he decided to keep it. Had a really nice run, first down. And got hurt. Was hurt for the rest of the time he was in.

I'd give him a B+ if that was an option. Tough to expect much more from an 18 year old, than what ZA has already given this program. Other than the botched snap, maybe some early jitters, he did really well. He kept throwing some long balls that weren't quite on target .... but honestly I think they wanted him to keep working on that. We were so far in the lead at that point, why not? Can bank that, and might be crucial later on in the year, or even next game!

Grade A for true freshman/game 1. Versus the overall QB landscape maybe a C to C+. Showed some good things, nice throws with anticipation and I can’t recall any really dangerous throws. Did seem to lock in at times, throw falling backward, and the accuracy downfield was a bit off although part of that seemed to be miscommunication. Showed decent wheels. Caveat is this was a mediocre defense so hard to get too euphoric until we see some more games but he seems to have some solid building blocks.

Concerning the targets, how many passes were on-target (hit 'em in the hands type) and dropped? How many early on by TJ? Don't get me wrong. Zack & WR's really put on a clinic in explosive FB once they got rolling.

Somewhere between a c+ and b-. Played decent and had more confident as the game went on but has a ways to go imo. I suppose if you grade on a curve because he is a true freshman you'd have to give him an a-.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A!

Leidner was what he was, but he threw for more than 200 yards more than a few times in his career, including nearly 300 (295) against #7 Penn State in 2016 - his most recent season.

Claey's racked up 593 yards against a similar opponent in his first year as the Head Coach (Indiana State). He also put up over 450 yards against the same #7 Penn State during the same season.

None of which matters. None of which makes last nights game better or worse. It only shows you don't know what you're talking about and have some need to compare last night to two people who don't figure into Gopher Football in 2018.

B. Couple overthrows and the fumble didn't help. But, overall, a solid game for a freshman walkon.

I'll give him a B, it would be an A but the turnover lead to their Touchdown. As ZA plays more he will hit on those deep throws, has the arm strength, just needs the timing, tough to get when you're competing most of camp and not getting the lions share with the ones until the end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom