Freshman Thoughts

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
#5 - Annexstad- did well.
#2 - Tanner Morgan - got in there for a few handoffs and a toss.

Congrats on #21 - Bryce Williams - getting his first TD and a few touches.
82 Demetrius Douglas, 3 Chris Autman-Bell, and 13 Bateman all got catches.
#24 Mohammed Ibrahim with the nice run. Hope he's not out long with that ankle.

#8 Thomas Rush impressed on defense during his couple drives
#4 Terrell Smith started and played well on D and didn't get exposed.

We knew we had a lot of freshman, but I thought #5, #8, and #13 stood out even a bit extra.

Last edited:

#5 did well.
#2 got in there for a few handoffs and a toss.

Congrats on #21 getting his first TD and a few touches.
82, 3, and 13 all got catches.
#24 with the nice run. Hope he's not out long with that ankle.

#8 impressed on defense during his couple drives
#4 started and played well on D and didn't get exposed.

We knew we had a lot of freshman, but I thought #5, #8, and #13 stood out even a bit extra.

I don't think Ibrahim's injury is a concern at all. Looked like maybe just a cramp after the long run, or possibly a bruise from the helmet hit. They showed him on the sidelines casually climbing over benches. No medical staff or anything by him.

I don't think Ibrahim's injury is a concern at all. Looked like maybe just a cramp after the long run, or possibly a bruise from the helmet hit. They showed him on the sidelines casually climbing over benches. No medical staff or anything by him.

I think it was a bad sprain.
Probably heard a pop. Hurts like hell. Bit of shock hits you with a nauseous feeling. Get it checked out and support it for couple weeks. I would guess he won't play next Saturday then be back week 3.

I think it was a bad sprain.
Probably heard a pop. Hurts like hell. Bit of shock hits you with a nauseous feeling. Get it checked out and support it for couple weeks. I would guess he won't play next Saturday then be back week 3.

How do u come up with any of this supposition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freshman and Seniors looked great, middle classmen not so much.

It looked to me like he took a shot to the side of the shin while his leg was planted. Hopefully just a bruise.

I saw Ibrahim jump over a bench so I think he’ll be OK.

I liked annexstad, Bateman and Smith.

Dunlap Jr had a big push on the TD at the end.

How do u come up with any of this supposition?

It looked like it was an ankle.
It didn't appear broken, since he was walking on it.
Sprain would seem like next likely option.
I badly sprained one of mine once and that's essentially what happened. Bit of shock, nausea, etc.

#3 Bell is going to be a really nice player. His catch on the sidelines looked routine but it was one that receivers in recent years never seemed to come up with. He'll be solid

Per the U's Game Participation List, these true freshman checked off 1 game last night:

Bateman
Annexstad
Oliver
Sapp III
Howden
B Williams
Aune
Dunlap
Sori-Marin
Faalele
Rush
Spann-Ford
Janes

This 4 game red-shirt allowance is one of the best rule changes in a long time

Per the U's Game Participation List, these true freshman checked off 1 game last night:

Bateman
Annexstad
Oliver
Sapp III
Howden
B Williams
Aune
Dunlap
Sori-Marin
Faalele
Rush
Spann-Ford
Janes

I wonder how many of them are targeted to be redshirts this year. My belief is if they played tonight, they probably aren't going to be redshirted.
They played because they are ready now.

I wonder how many of them are targeted to be redshirts this year. My belief is if they played tonight, they probably aren't going to be redshirted.

Or a coaching move to give some early time to hard working freshman while at the same time protecting the starters from injury well after the game was decided. If a starter gets injured later in the season and you need to pull a freshman's redshirt then at least they have a few games under their belt. Also love the rule change, huge help to young developing programs.

I thought Rush looked incredible in the fourth quarter.

As for Ibrahim: The trainer was pointing his toe on the sideline, completely opposite of what you do for a cramp. In fact, I have no idea what pointing the toe does to help any injury and if you do that with a calf cramp you just intensify the cramp.

It looked like it was an ankle.
It didn't appear broken, since he was walking on it.
Sprain would seem like next likely option.
I badly sprained one of mine once and that's essentially what happened. Bit of shock, nausea, etc.

On TV it looked like a high ankle sprain. That's where, rather than rolling your ankle, you twist it. His foot was planted in the turf and the defender hit his leg. That cause his leg to twist relative to his planted foot. Or so it appeared on the screen.

Unfortunate thing is that HAS usually take longer to heal than just rolling your ankle. Maybe it wasn't a bad one. Probably bruised and tender this morning ... but hope for the best!

Agree!!

One of the most beautiful things about it is you can tell a high end recruit "you WILL play for us this coming fall", and it can actually be true for many of them.

You could end up being exactly right ... but let's see what happens with Fresno. I have a feeling a lot of these guys got in for mop up duty, because we were so far ahead.

I liked Rush.

Tom Sawyer is an awesome song!

Anyway, on Planet Earth, one can see why folks are excited about Bateman. Shoestring tackle is the only thing that kept him out of the end zone. Looks to have that easy speed. Autman-Bell also looked good. Terell Smith is going to be tested as a freshman CB, but he clearly has the speed to play out there.

Or a coaching move to give some early time to hard working freshman while at the same time protecting the starters from injury well after the game was decided. If a starter gets injured later in the season and you need to pull a freshman's redshirt then at least they have a few games under their belt. Also love the rule change, huge help to young developing programs.

This.

Disagree. This was an opportunity to get guys who are going to redshirt playing time. Obviously not all will but I think the O-lineman will for sure.

Disagree. This was an opportunity to get guys who are going to redshirt playing time. Obviously not all will but I think the O-lineman will for sure.

Tough to predict based on one game ... and it's also possible to keep a true fr as the backup, but if it happens that he never goes into more than 4 games, well then that still counts as a redshirt.

That said, seems like some obvious true FR who are going to play a lot this year, in addition to ZA:
Bateman at WR
Bryce Williams at RB, especially now with Ibrahim possibly sidelined at least a couple weeks (I don't know that as fact, just guessing)
T Smith at CB
Rush at LB ... maybe, he has the talent to play, but *IF* our starting LB stay healthy, plus Huff, I don't know if we'll need him this year

Might be more. Maybe the big TE? I would say that in this offense the TE seems to be basically just a glorified offensive guard. Motions around, lines up different places, blocks for running plays. Might stay in to pass-pro, or might go run a route. But can't really recall when a TE was even targeted.

Rush is going to be really good. Bateman looks like a player. Falale is going to be very solid, he moves well for such a big guy and he's not built like he's 400 pounds.

Last edited:

Bateman is the longest 6-2 200lb receiver I have ever seen. His arms go forever!
Reminds me of Tony Delk the basketball player. 6-1 player with 7'2" wingspan.

Bateman
Annexstad
Oliver
Sapp III
Howden
B Williams
Aune
Dunlap
Sori-Marin
Faalele
Rush
Spann-Ford
Janes

Oops, Missed Teague and Smith

Kind of surprised Malcolm Robinson didn't get any run

Concerning the playing of Dunlap and Faalele, they were on the field with the 2nd O-line as a unit in the 4th qtr. Apparently PJ is serious about his depth chart when making substitutions. If you're listed as a 2-deep you're probably going to play for him if the game situation is good.

Expecting me to have freshman jersey numbers memorized is ridiculous. We get it dude you follow the team closely.

Not listing the names just takes a lot away from from the post when you have to waste time trying to look up the names associated with the jersey numbers. This is especially true with the freshmen.

I had the roster pulled up on my phone all game long. Had to look at it a good amount.

Speaking of names .... everything on the dang jersey was maroon on white, which was great, who is the dummy that said “let’s make the name plates yellow on white!” ???

Top Bottom