Zack Annexstad

Football is a game of being dinged up. If it is a ding, you play through it. If it requires medical attention, you heal it up. If the trainers weren't working on him, it isn't a big deal. Was it even iced on the field? Certainly it was in the locker room. Everything gets iced there. If it turns out he needs a rest, there is a reason we have two freshman QBs. I expect Seth would be QB #3. I highly prefer him catching and running the ball. He will leave his mark on this team well beyond 2 Wildcat TDs.

Last edited:

My thoughts too. He had the arm strength, just over shot TJ6 slot. The Bateman one was a catch, he had a foot down, bull**** call, but we were up 30 plus

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Bateman stepped out of bounds before he ever touched the ball. He could not have legally caught the ball even if his feet landed in the field of play on the catch.

Yep, I am concerned too.

Crazy thing is: everyone in the stadium knows that ZA isn't going to run the ball. Yet they still do that stupid thing where the QB stands there with the ball stretch out, like he might take off any time! Well, ZA finally did keep it ... and that's what happened. Left shoulder was hurting him pretty bad the rest of the game. Was pretty easy to see on TV, him grimacing most snaps after that.
Zack will learn how to baseball slide in the future to not take a hit like he did last night. Intelligence over valor next time.

Nice try. He actually ran it ONE time. Every other time, he stood there holding the ball out ... and handed it off. Hence why the DEs were crashing hard every time he did that.

Then the time he did run it, he got hurt. That's why you don't run the ball with your QB, unless he's really a running back (the SG formation).

Ah, no...he pulled it a few times and passed. What we saw was the basics of Fleck's RPO. I expect to see more motion and thus more opportunities for Zack to pull it and pass next week and the following week. his decision to run that time was spot on.

Ah, no...he pulled it a few times and passed. What we saw was the basics of Fleck's RPO. I expect to see more motion and thus more opportunities for Zack to pull it and pass next week and the following week. his decision to run that time was spot on.

Yep, he made good decisions on the play multiple times, will only get better as he gets more use to reading defenses.

You’re correct about play action passing. That wasn’t what’s I was talking about.

Yes if you have a running QB, the run-option or whatever is fine. ZA got a first down on the run. He is athletic! Would prefer they don’t run that play though. Oh well

You’re correct about play action passing. That wasn’t what’s I was talking about.

Yes if you have a running QB, the run-option or whatever is fine. ZA got a first down on the run. He is athletic! Would prefer they don’t run that play though. Oh well

Play action pass is not what I am talking about. That is a pass play disguised as a running play.

Fleck's offense is RPO and that play was exactly that...RPO. In a vast majority of those plays the running is done by the RB. Based on what Zack sees, he can either hand if off, pull it back and pass, or on rare occasions pull it back and run himself. On that play (go look at the highlights) he pulled it back and ran himself, which was exactly the right play. In all the other RPO plays where he pulled it, he passed and he was right on those as well.

My only debate is will he be have an NFL Hall of Fame career or just an NFL Ring of honor career. My gut feeling is Canton bound.

Right, so he did run it. Thanks for reinforcing this fact.

You may as well rent a big flashing billboard stating "I don't understand how the read option works."

Have you ever watched football? Ever? I mean, really? The idea of a QB running the football is a new concept to you?

Moron_4life keeps reinforcing on every post that he knows nothing about football, let alone...anything.

4life keeps reinforcing on every post that he knows nothing about football, let alone...anything.

This is one of those times I hope a user really is just a troll because being this out of it would be sad.

I can't tell if you are serious. He would be leaving college early. I hope so but who knows. Everyone is just guessing at this point lol.

You read the post I quoted, and the post I typed and couldn't tell if I was serious? Seriously?

A couple of thoughts on the management of the QB by the coaching staff. First, for those of you advocating he should have been pulled in the 4th quarter that would have been a mistake. He needs game experience regardless of the scoreboard. Every snap gives him a chance to build his body of knowledge and he needs lots of snaps. Period. Secondly, the coaching staff realized he had been dinged and was hurting. Had it been his throwing shoulder he would have been yanked. Much is learned about a player when playing with some pain. It's part of football or any other sport for that matter. The coaching staff gets an "A" from me on how they managed ZA's inaugural start.

You read the post I quoted, and the post I typed and couldn't tell if I was serious? Seriously?

I figured it out eventually. I'm a little slow sometimes. Plus lack of sleep and I'm getting married in a few weeks etc. Life has been busy.

A couple of thoughts on the management of the QB by the coaching staff. First, for those of you advocating he should have been pulled in the 4th quarter that would have been a mistake. He needs game experience regardless of the scoreboard. Every snap gives him a chance to build his body of knowledge and he needs lots of snaps. Period. Secondly, the coaching staff realized he had been dinged and was hurting. Had it been his throwing shoulder he would have been yanked. Much is learned about a player when playing with some pain. It's part of football or any other sport for that matter. The coaching staff gets an "A" from me on how they managed ZA's inaugural start.

+1

Excellent analysis. All of life has some pain. How you deal with it indicates character.

I figured it out eventually. I'm a little slow sometimes. Plus lack of sleep and I'm getting married in a few weeks etc. Life has been busy.

Congrats! Be sure to name one of your babies after your favorite head coach.

Agreed. He looked completely fine in the post game locker room video as well. I'm guessing he immediately thought Remember to slide next time after the run...and I'm sure the coaches reinforced it when he got to the sideline. If the offense runs like Fleck wants, that option will be there maybe once a game...with his other runs opportunistic scrambles
on straight-up pass situations or broken plays.

Thanks everyone. LOL bottlebass.

She's a keeper. We were going to get married on the gopher bye week but 9/22 works better for other reasons. At least It's an away game.

I worked in a Rose Bowl Clause. WHEN the Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl we have to go to the game.

I have to disagree with that statement. Maybe for an upperclassman, who has played through and dealt with injuries in the past, you have a longer leash.

But, we're talking about the starting QB. On a team that, for all practical purposes, only has 2 QB's on the roster. In that case, you don't take the risk - even if it's just a tiny risk - of playing a kid who might have an injury. Also consider - non-conf game, with a comfortable lead. that changes the equation.

If it's the last game of the season, and you're playing for a spot in the playoffs, or to become bowl-eligible, that's a different story. But in the first game of the season, I err on the side of caution.

I have to disagree with that statement. Maybe for an upperclassman, who has played through and dealt with injuries in the past, you have a longer leash.

But, we're talking about the starting QB. On a team that, for all practical purposes, only has 2 QB's on the roster. In that case, you don't take the risk - even if it's just a tiny risk - of playing a kid who might have an injury.

I agree, which is why I suspect he doesn't have an injury. The coaches aren't dumb.

Thanks everyone. LOL bottlebass.

She's a keeper. We were going to get married on the gopher bye week but 9/22 works better for other reasons. At least It's an away game.

I worked in a Rose Bowl Clause. WHEN the Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl we have to go to the game.

So..you're saying you outkicked your coverage with her?

Top Bottom