Zack Annexstad

I felt like the snap was bad and/or the snap count was off. Annexstad seemed to be looking to the right and the ball hit his left hand, not between his hands. I'm not upset about it for a first game, regardless of blame.

Agreed.

Pretty sure they checked his arm out right after that play.

Pretty sure they didn't-he never left the game.

But he didn't seem to complain about being hurt. My only complaint was he and RS didn't need to be in during the 4th qtr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt like the snap was bad and/or the snap count was off. Annexstad seemed to be looking to the right and the ball hit his left hand, not between his hands. I'm not upset about it for a first game, regardless of blame.

Correct, pretty bad snap.

My quick impression was he looked great on the short routes, specifically the second TD pass to Johnson was perfect, but overall the deep attempts were pretty ugly. We kept trying to go there too, and it just wasn't happening.

Maybe the Gophers did everything right. Maybe they checked him out, he said he was just sore and he was fine. But the broadcast didn't do them any favors. The NCAA is under the microscope right now in regard to player safety. Keeping someone in a game when it appears as though they are injured looks real bad.

My quick impression was he looked great on the short routes, specifically the second TD pass to Johnson was perfect, but overall the deep attempts were pretty ugly. We kept trying to go there too, and it just wasn't happening.

Nice thing is that it doesn't seem like he's overthrowing because of a lack of arm strength which means that it can be fixed.
He isn't throwing his entire body into the throw to get it to go 20+ yards in the air.
Recent Gopher QBs have been overthrowing because they didn't have the strength to flick it downfield. Zach looks like he can make those throws but needs to work on accuracy.

Hard to make that judgement from a TV set though so maybe I'm wildly off.

Pretty sure they didn't-he never left the game.

But he didn't seem to complain about being hurt. My only complaint was he and RS didn't need to be in during the 4th qtr

You are incorrect. They checked him out on the sidelines. I watched the doctor manipulate his arm into different positions. The announcers were discussing it while it happened. Zack grimaced when the arm bend reached a certain point.

I don't buy the theory that they labeled a starter just to be different from their "split" decision last year. If the choice is between two mediocre QBs you hedge by labeling the QB competition as a dead heat. When they come out so confidently on a clear winner in a QB battle you know there is something extraordinary there.

Based on a small sample size, the accuracy/arm is up there with Weber, Cupito etc.

All signs look good.

Last edited:

My thoughts too. He had the arm strength, just over shot TJ6 slot. The Bateman one was a catch, he had a foot down, bull**** call, but we were up 30 plus

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bateman's was not a catch. He stepped out the step right before he caught the ball and did not re-establish himself inbounds.

As far as the over throws, watching live it seemed like the recievers let up halfway through the route on 3-4 occasions and just couldn't turn it back on to catch back up to the ball. On many other instances, there seemed to be a lot of grabbing going on that they did not call early. It was both ways though, seemed like they let them play.

My thoughts too. He had the arm strength, just over shot TJ6 slot. The Bateman one was a catch, he had a foot down, bull**** call, but we were up 30 plus

So when do we think we will hear anything on Zack's injury and whether it is anything to be concerned about? The angle and the way he went down made me think of collar bone.

Bateman's was not a catch. He stepped out the step right before he caught the ball and did not re-establish himself inbounds.

As far as the over throws, watching live it seemed like the recievers let up halfway through the route on 3-4 occasions and just couldn't turn it back on to catch back up to the ball. On many other instances, there seemed to be a lot of grabbing going on that they did not call early. It was both ways though, seemed like they let them play.

By rule, Bateman was ineligible to catch the ball because he stepped out on his own power not forced out by the defender. It's possible that he could have made the play if it was touched by another player first and Bateman then gained control after establishing himself inbounds. Not clear if that is a correct ruling though.

I liked what I saw and was pleasantly pleased with his production.

HOWEVER, if he throws as many balls off his back foot per game the rest of the season it won't be good.

I was impressed with his poise for being a true freshman. If he just improves a little each game and each season he could be really special.

So when do we think we will hear anything on Zack's injury and whether it is anything to be concerned about? The angle and the way he went down made me think of collar bone.

Yep, I am concerned too.

Crazy thing is: everyone in the stadium knows that ZA isn't going to run the ball. Yet they still do that stupid thing where the QB stands there with the ball stretch out, like he might take off any time! Well, ZA finally did keep it ... and that's what happened. Left shoulder was hurting him pretty bad the rest of the game. Was pretty easy to see on TV, him grimacing most snaps after that.

Don't you think we would have heard already if it was a broken collar bone? And don't you think he wouldn't have played a snap afterword if the injury was that serious? I'm thinking he is fine.

Crazy thing is: everyone in the stadium knows that ZA isn't going to run the ball.

They do? Then why did he run it?

Yet they still do that stupid thing where the QB stands there with the ball stretch out, like he might take off any time!

You mean the read option - a staple of many high school and college (and to a much lesser extent, NFL) offenses across the country? Yeah, why do they do that?

They do? Then why did he run it?

You mean the read option - a staple of many high school and college (and to a much lesser extent, NFL) offenses across the country? Yeah, why do they do that?

Nice try. He actually ran it ONE time. Every other time, he stood there holding the ball out ... and handed it off. Hence why the DEs were crashing hard every time he did that.

Then the time he did run it, he got hurt. That's why you don't run the ball with your QB, unless he's really a running back (the SG formation).

He did great in his baptism into college football as a true PWO FR. He showed poise and command of the offense. It is so refreshing to see multiple pass catchers not named TJ catching balls.

I love his short passing game where he was accurate. There is lots of potential there for YAC plays. Throwing to the RBs, that can be a game buster. The long passing game needs a little polishing. The timing and accuracy is not dialed in just yet. But, I like the fact the does throw the long ball.

Things that I'd like to see improved:
Someone should teach him to slide feet first. He'll get killed in the B1G. The other thing - he needs to work on putting his full body into his long throws. I realize that he has arm strength, but I'd like to see him step into his long bombs. He was telegraphing his throws to receivers by looking at the receivers more so than in practice.

All-in-all, I am very impressed. I hope that his shoulder injury does not turn into a nagging one. I'd give him a B+.

The Fresno State gsme will be a real test.

I still worry about Zach's injury, along with our RBs and others.

ZA did throw two deep balls I thought looked alright - seam route to open end zone off the outstretched hands of Tyler Johnson and another to the student section end zone that was a jump ball to the front of the end zone to Autman Bell (I believe) which damn near went off his facemask. For a Red Shirt PWO, I don't know how we could complain about yesterday.

He still had a foot in that only applies when you deliberately go out and comeback in

How bad does it have to be that he should have been taken out?
They checked him out and felt he was good enough to keep playing, and Zack's pain tolerance must have been okay where they didn't think it would hurt him worse.
Maybe they wanted to see him tough it out a bit to see how he does playing with a little pain for a drive.

I think it's fair to be critical, but we don't know many facts on this yet.

Looked like he has some discomfort, but he came to the sideline and he and Fleck were laughing during the timeout. Did not look serious at all. I had no problem leaving him in.

Looked like he has some discomfort, but he came to the sideline and he and Fleck were laughing during the timeout. Did not look serious at all. I had no problem leaving him in.

That was my thought.

Nice try. He actually ran it ONE time.

Right, so he did run it. Thanks for reinforcing this fact.

Every other time, he stood there holding the ball out ... and handed it off. Hence why the DEs were crashing hard every time he did that.

You may as well rent a big flashing billboard stating "I don't understand how the read option works."

Then the time he did run it, he got hurt. That's why you don't run the ball with your QB, unless he's really a running back (the SG formation).

Have you ever watched football? Ever? I mean, really? The idea of a QB running the football is a new concept to you?

Top Bottom