Zack Annexstad

Moron_4life keeps reinforcing on every post that he knows nothing about football, let alone...anything.

Try me. I’ve forgotten more football than you know.

How does it smell, living inside my rear end??

Play action pass is not what I am talking about. That is a pass play disguised as a running play.

Fleck's offense is RPO and that play was exactly that...RPO. In a vast majority of those plays the running is done by the RB. Based on what Zack sees, he can either hand if off, pull it back and pass, or on rare occasions pull it back and run himself. On that play (go look at the highlights) he pulled it back and ran himself, which was exactly the right play. In all the other RPO plays where he pulled it, he passed and he was right on those as well.

No that wouldn’t work, the way you describe, because the OL can’t go downfield on a pass play. They’d need a call at the line, if it was going to be a pass, so as to avoid a penalty.

But hand off vs keep is a valid running option. Didn’t say it was invalid. What I said was that ZA handed t off the first 15 times and so their DE weren’t respecting his run. Then he kept it and had Avery nice run for a first down ... while getting injured.

Last edited:

A couple of thoughts on the management of the QB by the coaching staff. First, for those of you advocating he should have been pulled in the 4th quarter that would have been a mistake. He needs game experience regardless of the scoreboard. Every snap gives him a chance to build his body of knowledge and he needs lots of snaps. Period. Secondly, the coaching staff realized he had been dinged and was hurting. Had it been his throwing shoulder he would have been yanked. Much is learned about a player when playing with some pain. It's part of football or any other sport for that matter. The coaching staff gets an "A" from me on how they managed ZA's inaugural start.

Can’t disagree with you any more, on these points.

BUT, you could be exactly correct, which would make me wrong. I guess that’s why Fleck gets the big bucks, and I’m a nobody posting in an internet message board!

No that wouldn’t work, the way you describe, because the OL can’t go downfield on a pass play. They’d need a call at the line, if it was going to be a pass, so as to avoid a penalty.

But hand off vs keep is a valid running option. Didn’t say it was invalid. What I said was that ZA handed t off the first 15 times and so their DE weren’t respecting his run. Then he kept it and had Avery nice run for a first down ... while getting injured.

You probably should bone up on RPO...

Lol, I gave a football-specific reason you were wrong, and you play dumb. Whatever

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In an RPO the OL blocks as if it was a run either way, thus avoiding the issue described.

Thanks everyone. LOL bottlebass.

She's a keeper. We were going to get married on the gopher bye week but 9/22 works better for other reasons. At least It's an away game.

I worked in a Rose Bowl Clause. WHEN the Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl we have to go to the game.

You will soon learn if it's not in writing it doesn't count. You still have time if the date is in september! You are welcome.

Yep, I am concerned too.

Crazy thing is: everyone in the stadium knows that ZA isn't going to run the ball. Yet they still do that stupid thing where the QB stands there with the ball stretch out, like he might take off any time! Well, ZA finally did keep it ... and that's what happened. Left shoulder was hurting him pretty bad the rest of the game. Was pretty easy to see on TV, him grimacing most snaps after that.

The run/pass option offense only works if the QB can do both. Ever since we've run that, we've had Leidner (couldn't pass), Croft (couldn't pass) and Rhoda (couldn't do either) so there was little surprise to the defense and they gang up on the RBs. The QB doesn't have to rush for 100 yds, just enough to keep the defense honest.

The run/pass option offense only works if the QB can do both. Ever since we've run that, we've had Leidner (couldn't pass), Croft (couldn't pass) and Rhoda (couldn't do either) so there was little surprise to the defense and they gang up on the RBs. The QB doesn't have to rush for 100 yds, just enough to keep the defense honest.
If Leidner played in the offense we saw last night he'd be on a 53 man roster, tough, to throw when you only do it 3rd and long with one WR on the field

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lol, I gave a football-specific reason you were wrong, and you play dumb. Whatever

If you knew the basics of RPO, you would not have tried to make your point with that reason. If you had Googled What is RPO in football one of the first links is the one swelna provided in his post. So, yeah, you probably should bone up a bit on RPO...

Try me. I’ve forgotten more football than you know.

How does it smell, living inside my rear end??

You have no clue what RPO is and your forgetting more football comment is contradictory to the knowledge you've tried to portray in all the threads including this one.
See if you can follow this as some other posters have tried to enlighten you with their posts on it. I'm going to give it a try as well.
A play is called that starts out looking like a running play. The OL blocks for a running play, the RB moves towards the QB to take the hand off, but the WR do not block like a running play, some or all of them run pass routes. The QB then has to read a defender or an alignment to determine if he is going to give the ball to the RB for the running play or pull the ball and throw it to a WR. Most of the time, that decision making takes place post snap.
D coordinators believe that when RPO's happen, the OL are blocking illegally downfield and if you watch closely in games, it does happen but rarely gets called. One thing that helps the OL is when they run RPO wide plays where they are moving laterally as they are less likely to go downfield when it does turn into a pass play.
On the play Zack pulled it and ran, it was absolutely the correct read as the DE crashed hard to chase Rodney, his shoulders were turned and he was way past the mesh point of the RB and QB, thus the pull and run by Zack as there was nobody left to defend the edge. One of the plays shortly after that one, we ran the same action and that DE froze at the LOS to check to see if Zack actually handed it off. Leaving Rodney with more time to get wide and find a seam.

We finally have a really good short passing game (shades of Bud Grant), which is a kind of running game because of yards-after-catch. Zack very good at that, but didn't throw the long ball well and can't run - got hurt on the one play when he did. Also didn't have to scramble, so we don't know how well he'll do when the big boys of the B14 come after him. Overall, a really solid debut, though. We will have a passing game this year after years of drought.

Again, the main threat is that there is a run/pass option (RPO) on almost every play, not who actually does the run. So when the QB makes the read and pulls the hand off back from the RB, it is to pass the ball a vast majority of the time.

Read option is where the main threat is who (QB or RB) is going to run.

You have no clue what RPO is and your forgetting more football comment is contradictory to the knowledge you've tried to portray in all the threads including this one.
See if you can follow this as some other posters have tried to enlighten you with their posts on it. I'm going to give it a try as well.
A play is called that starts out looking like a running play. The OL blocks for a running play, the RB moves towards the QB to take the hand off, but the WR do not block like a running play, some or all of them run pass routes. The QB then has to read a defender or an alignment to determine if he is going to give the ball to the RB for the running play or pull the ball and throw it to a WR. Most of the time, that decision making takes place post snap.
D coordinators believe that when RPO's happen, the OL are blocking illegally downfield and if you watch closely in games, it does happen but rarely gets called. One thing that helps the OL is when they run RPO wide plays where they are moving laterally as they are less likely to go downfield when it does turn into a pass play.
On the play Zack pulled it and ran, it was absolutely the correct read as the DE crashed hard to chase Rodney, his shoulders were turned and he was way past the mesh point of the RB and QB, thus the pull and run by Zack as there was nobody left to defend the edge. One of the plays shortly after that one, we ran the same action and that DE froze at the LOS to check to see if Zack actually handed it off. Leaving Rodney with more time to get wide and find a seam.

Adding to this is that the pass happens quickly so the chances of the lineman down field is minimal.

Top Bottom