Sid Hartman: Blake Cashman ready to go

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Cashman ready to go

As the Gophers prepare to open their 2018 season Thursday against New Mexico State, linebacker Blake Cashman is a rarity on the roster as one of only 13 seniors (eight redshirt seniors and five four-year seniors).

Cashman knows he will be asked to be one of the leaders on a defense looking to take steps forward after ranking ninth in scoring defense in the Big Ten in 2017 (22.8 points per game) and seventh in total defense (346.7 yards per game).

“The sky is the limit,” Cashman said when asked about his feelings heading into the 2018 season. “We’re very young, but very talented and we’re learning fast. I’ve never been in a fall camp where guys have been able to pick up the playbook [so quickly]. We’re moving fast, guys are getting better, and it’s fantastic to see.”

Will the Gophers improve on their 5-7 overall mark and 2-7 record in Big Ten play last season? Cashman said he thinks it’s doable.

“I hope so; I mean, I think we’re on the right track,” he said. “I think we’ll be a better team, yes. Every year, keep getting better.”

The 6-2, 235 pound Eden Prairie native said he knows the team and Gophers fans have a bad taste lingering after they were beaten 39-0 by Northwestern and 31-0 by Wisconsin to end last season.

“That’s something Coach [P.J.] Fleck has been harping on us,” Cashman said. “He has a saying: Start fast, accelerate in the middle and finish strong. That’s something we struggled with, but I’ve seen great things from our team this year and I have a lot of confidence that we’ll be able to finish games out in a great way.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cope-with-great-expectations/492040751/

Go Gophers!!

Cash is one of the players I will be the most interested to watch. he's always shown play-making ability and great instincts - but in relatively limited opportunities. Can he sustain that for an entire game?

Cash is one of the players I will be the most interested to watch. he's always shown play-making ability and great instincts - but in relatively limited opportunities. Can he sustain that for an entire game?

Always around the ball. Never understood why he did not get more playing time last year after a very good sort of breakout 2016 season.

Why don't you ask Washington State, circa 2016 Holiday Bowl.

It's crazy to me that he didn't get to play more in 2017, but yet we also had three very talented LBs. He will do more than fine, he will be a great player for us this season.

Is it possible that he was playing injured, and they limited his exposure? Didn't he have off season surgery?

Ryan Burns' latest podcast revealed that he had a shoulder injury that was undisclosed during the season. Makes sense why he got limited snaps behind an also injured Celestin. I'm guessing if he was healthy, he would have gotten the start last season.

Ryan Burns' latest podcast revealed that he had a shoulder injury that was undisclosed during the season. Makes sense why he got limited snaps behind an also injured Celestin. I'm guessing if he was healthy, he would have gotten the start last season.

Yes and Fleck has mentioned that as well.

Keeping me fingers crossed that the Gophers remain relatively injury-free this season. I feel bad for people like Cashman and Brooks. zThe two shut outs at the end of the season may be emblematic of the extend of injuries and being thin at certain positions. Cashman embodies the type of player you'd want on the team. He worked hard to earn his scholie.

Last edited:

Top Bottom