STrib: Rodney Smith, Gophers' undisputed go-to guy, must carry big load

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Back in late November of 2013, Rodney Smith of Jonesboro, Ga., decided to accept the Gophers’ offer of an official recruiting visit to campus. The running back had piqued the interest of then-coach Jerry Kill and his staff, and Smith wanted to take a look.

His mother, however, was skeptical. After all, Minneapolis is quite a way from the small town about a half-hour drive south of Atlanta.

“He came back and said, ‘I love Minnesota. I think I want to go there,’ ” Essie Smith said. “I said, ‘That’s kind of far, but I won’t hold you back.’ ”

Still, there was the matter of the school’s distinctive nickname.

“I said, ‘You want to be a Gopher?’ ” Essie recalled. “He said, ‘Momma, it’s a Golden Gopher.’ ”

And that’s just what Smith’s time at Minnesota has been — golden.

On Thursday night, Smith will begin his senior year with the Gophers in the season opener against New Mexico State. A workhorse for three different head coaches, Smith now has the chance to break Darrell Thompson’s school record of 5,109 career all-purpose yards.

“I’m definitely excited,” the soft-spoken Smith said. “My last first home game [of a season]. I’m pumped up and ready to go. I can’t wait to step out there Thursday and give it all I have.”

The Gophers will need that, because Smith basically is their backfield. Fellow senior and Georgia native Shannon Brooks, who has split carries with Smith over the past three years, is on the mend from a torn ACL and won’t be able to return for at least a few more weeks, according to coach P.J. Fleck. Behind Smith on the depth chart are redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim and true freshman Bryce Williams.

“Rodney Smith has the toughest job for a player, because behind him, with Shannon being out, are freshmen,” Fleck said. “It’s funny to watch Rodney be able to coach them, because he’s got to be a coach plus a player and expedite [true freshman] Nolan Edmonds and Bryce Williams and Mohamed Ibrahim and their growth. … Every day he comes to work and practices like a pro.”

http://www.startribune.com/rodney-smith-gophers-undisputed-go-to-guy-must-carry-big-load/492048281/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom