McNiff's Riffs: Gopher football poised to win... next year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Tim McNiff:

For the record... I DO believe in P.J. Fleck and I do believe this football program is going to win. I’m just pretty sure you’re going to have to be patient for one more year.

One more year.

The Gophers kick-off Season 2 of the PJ Fleck era tonight at TCF Bank Stadium against the Aggies of New Mexico State, and expectations locally and nationally around the Gophers and their energetic head coach are mixed at-best.

What we have yet to see is how those young players put in their time in the weight room this off-season, and how ready these true and redshirt freshmen are to play. The Gophers' non-conference schedule appears to be favorable, but the true indicator will be how the Gophers are able to get through the non-conference schedule from an injury standpoint.

I had the Gophers winning the three non-conference games of their 2018 schedule, then losing their Big-10 opener at Maryland. The Terps, however, are in the midst of their own crisis following the death of a player at practice, leaving the future direction of the program in doubt.

IF the Gophers can beat Maryland and win their Big-10 home opener against Iowa the next week, you can expect to see them in a low-rent bowl game during the holidays. For me, the over/under record on wins for this team is six. Anything below that will be mildly disappointing (if not surprising) and any wins beyond that will be a pleasant surprise.

I'll say it again: I like and believe in P.J. Fleck. I believe he is the right man for the job and I do believe that better days ARE coming for the Golden Gopher football program. Time will tell just how quickly we’ll see evidence of that.

https://www.kare11.com/article/opin...football-poised-to-win-next-year/89-589017094

Go Gophers!!

Can absolutely see Gophs 4-0 through Maryland. Hope it goes that way. Could also see them 3-1 or even 2-2, hope not but possible.

Don't agree that Iowa has to be a win, to go bowling.

Can absolutely see Gophs 4-0 through Maryland. Hope it goes that way. Could also see them 3-1 or even 2-2, hope not but possible.

Don't agree that Iowa has to be a win, to go bowling.

Agreed. I think the 4-0 start plus wins against Illinois & Indiana is a much more feasible and likely path to a bowl.

So according to McNiff, if the Gophers go 5-0, they will get a low-rent bowl game? Bold prediction.

If MN gets off to that kind of start, and with Illinois and Indiana likely wins, I'd imagine a middle-to-high rate bowl!

Top Bottom