All eyes on true freshman QB in Minnesota opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per LindysSports:

Year 2 of the P.J. Fleck era kicks off Thursday against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium. Despite several new faces in the starting lineup, expectations for the Gophers, mostly due to Fleck’s attention-grabbing antics, are once again high.

The Gophers enter the season with numerous question marks, most notably at quarterback.

True freshman Zack Annexstad won the starting job, just another example of Fleck going against the grain in attempting to develop a consistent winner at Minnesota. Annexstad, a three-star recruit out of IMG Academy in Florida, is a pro-style quarterback who managed to beat out redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan for the job.

The 6-foot-3, 199-pounder is believed to be the only true freshman walk-on to start an opener for a Power 5 school since Baker Mayfield started for Texas Tech in 2013.

Unlike the up-and-down quarterback battles last season, Annexstad might bring some stability despite his youth. His strong arm, size and background have all the makings of a potential four-year starter. Plus, the Gophers have a soft schedule, with their first games at home.

“Listen, there is a process to this whole thing,” Fleck said. “I hear everybody. I get everybody’s e-mails. I understand 51 years of not winning a championship. I get all of that. But that process and that position is starting to take shape.

“Why do I say it’s starting? Because there will always be competition. We’re bringing in a few quarterbacks next year and there’s going to be more competition. … My job is to out-recruit everybody on this football team every year. Our players’ job is to keep their job.”

http://www.lindyssports.com/college...-true-freshman-qb-in-minnesota-opener/476300/

Go Gophers!!

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball.

Give Zack easy throws. Play action. Quick slants. etc. If it's 3rd and long, run a screen.

Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball.

Give Zack easy throws. Play action. Quick slants. etc. If it's 3rd and long, run a screen.

Agree. Lull their defense to sleep, then throw over the top. Ground and pound them into submission. Shouldn't be a need to show future opponents more than a few pages of the playbook.

Agree. Lull their defense to sleep, then throw over the top. Ground and pound them into submission. Shouldn't be a need to show future opponents more than a few pages of the playbook.

I feel like Gopher fans have heard this before...

I feel like Gopher fans have heard this before...

Beat me to it. I hope they open it up tonight and in all the non-con games so there's actual game tape to analyze and make adjustments/improvements for the B1G.

Beat me to it. I hope they open it up tonight and in all the non-con games so there's actual game tape to analyze and make adjustments/improvements for the B1G.

I'd like to see some work on the passing game. It's been an issue for a long time, and I'd rather get the kinks worked out now than try to work them out later against a tougher opponent.

Anything that goes on game tape for us .... goes on game tape for opponents. Just sayin ...

I'd like to see how the Offensive Line comes together. They are very important for Zack Annexstad's success. Give ZA that extra 0.5 to 1 second. They have to protect his blind side.

IMHO, one added advantage with Annexstad is his field vision being truly 6'3" tall. He is always looking downfield and seems to have a quick release.

For reference:

Full Spring Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_xceWFx0w

Full Game Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SNxmd9QyfI

Last edited:

Top Bottom