B1G Schedules for 2022-2025 Announced

Wasn't Randle El starting the last time the Gophers played Indiana?

2023 looks tough.

MSU, Mich, and OSU.

Sept. 2 – Nebraska
9/9 Eastern Mich

9/16 - AT NORTH CAROLINA

Sept. 23 – Michigan
Oct. 7 – at Purdue
Oct. 21 – at Northwestern
Oct. 28 – Michigan State
Nov. 4 – at Iowa
Nov. 11 – Illinois
Nov. 18 – at Ohio State
Nov. 25 – Wisconsin

Our annual matchup with Maryland is replaced with MSU it appears.

Last edited:

We should be very elite by then.

Updated with non-conf so far:

Sept. 2 – Nebraska
9/9 Eastern Mich

9/16 - AT NORTH CAROLINA

Sept. 23 – Michigan
Oct. 7 – at Purdue
Oct. 28 – Michigan State
Nov. 4 – at Iowa
Nov. 11 – Illinois
Nov. 18 – at Ohio State
Nov. 25 – Wisconsin

2023 looks tough.

MSU, Mich, and OSU.

Sept. 2 – Nebraska
9/9 Eastern Mich

9/16 - AT NORTH CAROLINA

Sept. 23 – Michigan
Oct. 7 – at Purdue
Oct. 28 – Michigan State
Nov. 4 – at Iowa
Nov. 11 – Illinois
Nov. 18 – at Ohio State
Nov. 25 – Wisconsin

...And @ the Tar Heels. Who knows if they will be good or not by then. Still a road game

"For the six-year block from 2022-2027, all crossover series were drawn randomly. They include: Nebraska-Michigan, Wisconsin-Ohio State, Iowa-Rutgers, Minnesota-Michigan State, Northwestern-Maryland and Illinois-Penn State
League officials have arranged future rotations over a 36-year time frame so every team in each division plays each other 16 times, except for Indiana and Purdue, which meet 36 times. The Hoosiers and Boilermakers will face each cross-divisional opponent 12 times over 36 years."

"For the six-year block from 2022-2027, all crossover series were drawn randomly. They include: Nebraska-Michigan, Wisconsin-Ohio State, Iowa-Rutgers, Minnesota-Michigan State, Northwestern-Maryland and Illinois-Penn State
League officials have arranged future rotations over a 36-year time frame so every team in each division plays each other 16 times, except for Indiana and Purdue, which meet 36 times. The Hoosiers and Boilermakers will face each cross-divisional opponent 12 times over 36 years."

Penn St.-Illinois & Iowa - Rutgers is interesting

What is the so-called reason for even having such a stupid 6 year crossover block schedule? On the plus side at least Wisconsin got screwed.

Would love to trade that Illinois-PSU and Iowa-Rutgers matchups.

But who knows by then...

What is the so-called reason for even having such a stupid 6 year crossover block schedule? On the plus side at least Wisconsin got screwed.

I agree. Makes little sense to me.

Because there are 7 teams in each division, and Indiana-Purdue is "thrown out". It's basic scheduling 101. It's fair--it just takes 36 years to get it fair.

Wisconsin doesn't get screwed. No one gets screwed. Everyone plays everyone in the other division the exact same amount of times in 36 years.

Purdue and Indiana have to play every year. Who knows who's doing the screwing there.

Screwed by getting a great matchup every season? Iowa and MSU are the ones getting screwed if you ask me.

Because there are 7 teams in each division, and Indiana-Purdue is "thrown out". It's basic scheduling 101. It's fair--it just takes 36 years to get it fair.

Wisconsin doesn't get screwed. No one gets screwed. Everyone plays everyone in the other division the exact same amount of times in 36 years.

Purdue and Indiana have to play every year. Who knows who's doing the screwing there.

who knows what the conference will look like in 36 years, there might be more teams, there might be less teams, they may have to redo it if the number of teams changes, not even sure what football will look like then. if it does change some teams will fair better than others

Amen Brick House. The chances of this schedule NOT being changed sometime in the next 36 ( I repeat, 30-freakin-6 years) are approximately 0.11%.

2023 looks tough.

MSU, Mich, and OSU.

Sept. 2 – Nebraska
9/9 Eastern Mich

9/16 - AT NORTH CAROLINA

Sept. 23 – Michigan
Oct. 7 – at Purdue
Oct. 28 – Michigan State
Nov. 4 – at Iowa
Nov. 11 – Illinois
Nov. 18 – at Ohio State
Nov. 25 – Wisconsin

Who thought this was a good idea? On a positive note, get through the season with one loss or undefeated and there should be no doubt about being CFP bound.

No, it's silly:

Frank the Tank
‏ @frankthetank111
10h10 hours ago

"Frank the Tank tweet

My question for the Big Ten ADs: why aren’t cross-division opponents simply rotated on a close-to-even basis as possible? Outside of IU-PU, it can be rotated where every East team plays every West 3 or 4 times in an 8-year period to make it fairly evenly distributed."

Makes sense, because odds are every Big Ten team will remain exactly static in terms of difficulty to beat, over 36 years. None will improve or decline, at all. :rolleyes:

No, it's silly:

Frank the Tank
‏ @frankthetank111
10h10 hours ago

"Frank the Tank tweet

My question for the Big Ten ADs: why aren’t cross-division opponents simply rotated on a close-to-even basis as possible? Outside of IU-PU, it can be rotated where every East team plays every West 3 or 4 times in an 8-year period to make it fairly evenly distributed."

Actually, he's wrong. You can't achieve the equal home and home every two years with this method. Also, two teams would have to play 5 road or home games two years in a row.

If you're all for that, fine.

I've been creating complicated sports schedules for 30 years. It's not easy, especially when you have odd-numbered teams in a division.

Last edited:

Honest question, is there an East division team that would cause you great concern if Minnesota never played them again in football?? The only one for me would be Michigan ... but that’s only because of the historic jug. On the football field, Michigan is simply not a reasonable peer for the Gophers. They are so far ahead of us in terms of fan/monetary support, that the gap will never close (short of the sport collapsing completely). Same goes for Ohio State. Simply would not care if we never played them again. Are there many OSU alumni in Mpls?? I guess not.

That leaves Michigan St and Indiana from the historic Big Ten. The latter I’d only miss because they’re actually a fair matchup for the Gophers on the field. I have no affinity for either school.

The remainder are non-historical teams. Penn St is in the same boat as Michigan and Ohio St. Too far ahead, not a fair matchup. Maryland and Rutgers, don’t care, but they are good matchups.

To expand on my previous post, this would be a more ideal/fair conference slate for the Gophers every year:

Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, K-State, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State. 5 home 5 road every year. Remaining two games are payout home games to MAC, Mountain West, etc

To expand on my previous post, this would be a more ideal/fair conference slate for the Gophers every year:

Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, K-State, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State. 5 home 5 road every year. Remaining two games are payout home games to MAC, Mountain West, etc

You realize four of those teams aren't in the B1G right?

Yep! That was the point ... IE, you have to read the post before it. Saying that the Big Ten East teams really aren't great or worthwhile matchups for the Gophers, for several reasons.

Sorry, I have no interest in watching us play Kansas, Missouri, K-State, and especially not Iowa St.

Iowa plays Iowa St.
No reason for us to also play Iowa St.
Why would Iowa St want to play two Big Ten teams in their non-conference.

Not to mention, what do you gain by beating Iowa St who is often a perennial doormat in the Big 12 except for the periodic blips in which they lose their head coach?

I would far rather play Maryland, Rutgers, or Penn St when recruits might actually watch the games.
I just don't think a lot of talented youth are watching Iowa St games.
Far better to get the east coast exposure for the east coast athletes.

Top Bottom