Aggies look to rid bad taste from mouths - Albuquerque Journal

Iceland12

Reaction score
On the glass-half-empty side, NMSU is still licking its wounds after Saturday’s 29-7 home loss to Wyoming. Defensive lineman Jassavia Reese and linebackers Javahn Fergurson and Leon McQuaker range from questionable to doubtful with various leg injuries for Thursday’s contest.

Preparation will also be cut short for the Aggies, while Minnesota figures to be well-rested and locked in for its season opener.

“That’s one of the things that’s negative,” NMSU defensive lineman DeShawnte Lloyd said Tuesday. “There’s not much time for us to get the game plan down and really prepare for (the Golden Gophers’) schemes. Everything is tighter than usual.”

But Martin, Lloyd and the rest of the Aggies can also see the glass as half-full. From a preparation standpoint, much of New Mexico State’s game plan for Minnesota was developed during the summer. Thursday’s matchup also gives NMSU a chance to put its disappointing opener in the rearview mirror.

“I think most of us are glad for the quick turnaround,” Martin said. “We can get that bad taste out of our mouths fairly quickly. The Wyoming game was an eye-opener and I didn’t like what we looked like on the video. I don’t think our players did either.”

Martin did not think NMSU was physical enough against Wyoming, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. While not entirely satisfied with the play of junior transfer Matt Romero at quarterback, Martin felt much of the blame for his team’s lackluster offensive performance should be directed elsewhere.

“We were too tentative,” Martin said. “Our play-calling was too conservative and we did not protect at all. Our offensive line was horrendous that entire game. Matt can play better, but he completed 60 percent of his passes and didn’t turn the ball over. At the end of the day we have to do more to help him.”...

Thursday’s game, which will be televised on the Big Ten Network, also has a financial bright side for NMSU. The Aggies will receive an $800,000 guarantee for visiting TCF Bank Stadium...

https://www.abqjournal.com/1214502/college-football-aggies-look-to-rid-bad-taste-from-mouths.html

Were paying them $800K?

Sounds right, for a payoff game. IE, a game where you don't make a return trip to their stadium (which we're not). For a G5 team, the P5 schools I think pay around the $1M per game area, and for FCS (I-AA) schools the P5 I think pay around $300k-$600k or so.

Top Bottom