Gophers will open season tomorrow at home in white jerseys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

Gophers To Open Season In White Uniforms

The University of Minnesota football team kicks off the 2018 season at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 30 at TCF Bank Stadium.

Minnesota unveiled its new H.Y.P.R.R. Elite uniforms earlier this year and will debut them on Thursday.

However, because of an equipment issue with New Mexico State, the Gophers will be wearing their new white uniforms instead of a traditional dark jersey at home. New Mexico State's white uniforms have not arrived yet, so their only option for the game is a dark uniform. Minnesota has agreed to wear a white uniform on Thursday and the Big Ten has approved this one-time change as well.

Go Gophers!!

How many had White jerseys as their prediction for what the Gophers would wear on opening night?

Clearly NMSU is being supplied by Adidas...[emoji56]

Why not all gold like we did for the inaugural stadium game vs Air Force? Even those ugly anthracite jerseys could have worked. What a dumb decision.

Why not all gold like we did for the inaugural stadium game vs Air Force? Even those ugly anthracite jerseys could have worked. What a dumb decision.

You assume we can do full banana...

I’m assuming that the NMSU equipment manager screwed up and brought the wrong container. Otherwise why would they even have their home unis with them instead of their road whites?

I’m assuming that the NMSU equipment manager screwed up and brought the wrong container. Otherwise why would they even have their home unis with them instead of their road whites?

My guess is this was decided the past day or two & it just became public knowledge to all of us today.

Side note: I understand they aren't a Power 5 school, but not getting your uniforms in time? What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this school? This stuff happens to youth football organizations & junior highs....

The fact that they didn't have all the jerseys they'd need like 1 or 2 months prior to the season starting is kind of odd, isn't it? I guess I know 0 about the logistics of that kind of thing, but that's cutting it a bit close if they were scheduled to show up only a week-ish prior to first being used.

It says in the OP that they're away unis have not yet arrived.

Same thing nearly happened on Last Chance U, FWIW.

Anthracite Gophers with Maroon NMSU? That would be terrible, let alone against the rules (one team has to be "light"). It'd be very tough to tell apart at a distance.

Also, they don't have gold jerseys in the new design. So that isn't an option.

Not sure what else they were going to do other than make NMSU forfeit for not having a light jersey.

Anthracite Gophers with Maroon NMSU? That would be terrible, let alone against the rules (one team has to be "light"). It'd be very tough to tell apart at a distance.

Also, they don't have gold jerseys in the new design. So that isn't an option.

Not sure what else they were going to do other than make NMSU forfeit for not having a light jersey.
Cal & USC do blue vs red. You may be right on the anthracite. They looked light gray to me in photos, but if they’re dark they wouldn’t work. Lastly, the gold from last year is still available this year. This was announced long ago. The only question is whether the gold helmets are also available. Pants and jerseys are for sure. If hockey can do gold vs dark, football can too.

Maybe this could be the start of a new tradition. The good guys wear white at home!

It all goes back to Black and White TV’s. Need to have enough of a contrast in light vs dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that would help clarify: did they bring all their equip on their charted jet up to Mpls, which I assume landed/will land today? Or did they ship all the gear up on a semi-truck, which if so would've needed to leave a couple days ago?

EDIT: this is clearly their chartered jet https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8630/history/20180829/1710Z/KELP/KMSP as Sun Country has no commercial service between MSP and El Paso, and that airport is pretty close to Las Cruces. And so, hasn't landed yet today.

Last edited:

Cal & USC do blue vs red. You may be right on the anthracite. They looked light gray to me in photos, but if they’re dark they wouldn’t work. Lastly, the gold from last year is still available this year. This was announced long ago. The only question is whether the gold helmets are also available. Pants and jerseys are for sure. If hockey can do gold vs dark, football can too.

Correct. The other game that came to mind is FL/GA. They wear Blue/Red against each other sometimes.

The away white had to be approved by the Big Ten. Wow.. Thanks for making the cliffhanger decision on that one. Either MAKE NM St forefeit against MN or let them swap light/dark. I'm sure the local media wouldn't have had anything negative to say if we accepted the forefeit mandated by the big-ten.

Correct. The other game that came to mind is FL/GA. They wear Blue/Red against each other sometimes.

The away white had to be approved by the Big Ten. Wow.. Thanks for making the cliffhanger decision on that one. Either MAKE NM St forefeit against MN or let them swap light/dark. I'm sure the local media wouldn't have had anything negative to say if we accepted the forefeit mandated by the big-ten.

No it wouldn't have been a forfeit. It would've been a penalty against NM St, of some kind, for wearing uniforms against the rules. I mean like a game penalty.

Then it would've been a s___show as you have two teams both wearing maroon. Interception city.

One thing that would help clarify: did they bring all their equip on their charted jet up to Mpls, which I assume landed/will land today? Or did they ship all the gear up on a semi-truck, which if so would've needed to leave a couple days ago?

EDIT: this is clearly their chartered jet https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8630/history/20180829/1710Z/KELP/KMSP as Sun Country has no commercial service between MSP and El Paso, and that airport is pretty close to Las Cruces. And so, hasn't landed yet today.

Maybe read the OP with the post from the Gophers, it explains clearly why.

No forfeit. We absolutely have to play this game for experience. When you are starting an all freshmen squad with the youngest team in football history, you need to get your feet wet early.

More than likely the fault of the supplier. Many teams getting new uniforms so assuming they are busy. Personally I don't think this is a big deal.

There is an NMSU equipment truck at the Mariott on seven corners

More than likely the fault of the supplier. Many teams getting new uniforms so assuming they are busy. Personally I don't think this is a big deal.

Well, if you want to get technical, nothing related to collegiate sports is a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But, in context - a school that runs a ~$27M athletics budget, and yet can't have the appropriate uniforms available for one of their games, is embarrassing. If I were an NMSU booster I would be foaming at the mouth and wondering what kind of rinky dink operation I'm supporting.

Top Bottom