Week 1 Other Games Thread

Maryland looking very sharp so far. Illinois is looking like a dumpster fire again this year. And to think that Juice Williams took them to a Rose Bowl ten years ago.

They dropped a coach or two but Canada is a really good coach. They may have stumbled into an upgrade. Obviously early and obviously Texas might be overrated as they were last year. But Maryland has too much talent and competent coaching to be a 1-11 or 0-12 type team

I’m going to go with Texas will be nowhere as good as advertised

Maryland is a scary team with a ton of talent. It'll be interesting to see how their coaching situation pans out.

Last edited:

Maryland up 24-7, midway through 2nd are. Texas driving now

EDIT: Texas ripped down the field, now 24-14

Last edited:

Maryland is a scary team with a ton of talent. It'll be interesting to see how their coaching situation pans out.

They did recruit well:
2016 - 41
2017 - 18
2018 - 28
2019 - 75

Compared to the Gophers:
2016 - 46
2017 - 59
2018 - 38
2019 - 30

I'd expect PJ Fleck to improve the Gophers Recruiting. It is a question of by how much. He needs to win more games in order to push the recruiting talent level. No lie. It will be a tough battle with Purdue, Nebraska with new talented coaches, and the three powers above the Gophers - Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW not intend on giving up ground.

All that being said. I think Maryland is a 4-8 to 7-5 type team this year

Looks like I'll have to eat crow. I figured that Lovie could re-establish himself at Illinois. He had some success at the NFL level, figured he would recruit somewhat well and turn the defense into a fundamentally sound unit that could compete. Still a season to go, but this performance against Kent State is just another bad example for his tenure there.

Man that Lane Kiffin can coach! Really wish MN would have hired him! lmao

Looks like TX made some good adjustments. Closed the gap pretty quickly. Based on the small sample of one half, they both look similar to last year.

Man that Lane Kiffin can coach! Really wish MN would have hired him! lmao

Nice and no kidding!

Should also say that I heard him on the Dan Patrick show this week. Patrick tried to "pump-up" FAU for the Oklahoma game and Kiffin was having none of it. He was pretty funny explaining, not quite in a "Lou Holtz like way", how the Owls would have zero chance in beating the Sooners today.

Guess he was right. ;)

Patrick led the interview off by asking why they were called the "Owls". Kiffin, sounding pretty befuddled admitted that why he should know, he had no idea. :cool:

Texas all the way back and now leading Maryland 29-24. Shocking amount of empty seats at Maryland considering a quality opponent.

It looked like their are less fans at the Maryland game than our game. I would think people would Ben pretty excited about playing Texas. I know it’s not at their home stadium but still.

The Maryland game is at Fed Ex Field and not Maryland's home. Doesn't Fed Ex have like 80,000+ seats or so?

Good thing the tOSU/OSU game had a weather delay and they haven't switched to the Auburn/Washington game.

Urban will have to fire his DC. No wife beating needed.

Pierce is da man.

Jordan Taamu starting for University of Miss. Still the most head-scratching, frustrating miss by Claeys. What’s the inside story on that? We can see why he wanted Green as his QB, a huge dual threat load in the mold of Leidner for better or worse. What doesn’t make sense is why he’d pass on a talent like Taamu even as a backup, unless Jordan turned him down.
Completely agree ... it's baffling. While not talking about it in depth, on a recent podcast Ryan Burns said Claeys preferred McLauren because he was faster. Eems like a bad reason. Sounds like the OC wanted Ta'amu.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LETS GO WASHINGTON!!! (I've got it on ESPN+)

And NIU blocked Iowa's punt. :)

Kinnick looks different when did they redo the end zone seating?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Maryland game is at Fed Ex Field and not Maryland's home. Doesn't Fed Ex have like 80,000+ seats or so?

It still looked very empty to me.

Auburn up early in the "neutral" game with Washington.

Wisconsin is really good. But due to how tough their road schedule is I think someone else wins the west.

5 tough road games.

I agree they’re good and that RB is elite but IMO their talent up and down the roster doesn’t seem to justify the hype as a serious contender for the CFP. Caveat is it was an early game and new starters on D. Could be a different team by Nov.

Top Bottom