Gopher Football Quietly Not Selling Student Single Game Tickets

Reaction score
Came across this exchange on Twitter tonight.

https://twitter.com/GopherSports/status/1034642872287551488

The university just isn't selling student single game tickets online? Forcing students to either buy season tickets or zero tickets doesn't seem like a great way to get new people to come to games...

If somebody is on the fence about attending a game or knows they can't attend other games, the U is forcing them to commit to season tickets. The ticket office can't get out of their own way....

It doesn’t really say they can’t be bought in-person however. Or did I miss it?

dumb if true, even if they sell walk ups. Everyone does everything online nowadays that most i feel wont make the effort to show up unless there ticket is secured online.

dumb if true, even if they sell walk ups. Everyone does everything online nowadays that most i feel wont make the effort to show up unless there ticket is secured online.

Can anyone say Student Pizza Parties this year. Win Win and then Win!

Foolish unless they’re planning giveaways or something

Coyle should fix this quickly. I feel like I shouldn't be surprised by the incompetence in our athletics department, but they always seem to find a way to out do themselves. Crap like this is the reason we have had the second worst change in ticket revenue over the last few years per that Strib article.

They can't be bought online, that's all. Gee, non-STH first-come first-served at ticket office, just like every year and every game.

Terror! Disaster! Marketing nightmare!!!

They can't be bought online, that's all. Gee, non-STH first-come first-served at ticket office, just like every year and every game.

I wouldn't say it's a disaster or a nightmare, but times have changed and people expect to be able to buy things online. So even though it never used to be that way, when we live in a world where the vast majority of ticket sales are done online, you should offer them online. If you want to sell tickets, make it as easy as possible.

And I remember the days of waiting outside a Musicland store to buy concert tickets. I would never do that these days though.

Frankly the not being able to buy them online is new this year. I did it multiple times last year

Don't disagree they should be available online, but my guess is they don't have a way to gate the tickets to only students. I.e. purchase through a student portal that is linked to their ticketing software.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't disagree they should be available online, but my guess is they don't have a way to gate the tickets to only students. I.e. purchase through a student portal that is linked to their ticketing software.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would guess something similar versus they had too many people jumping on student tickets over the last few years on guest passes with no students around and didn’t like that getting mixed with the student population

Guessing they want students to actually show up. “Too easy” to buy a single student ticket and then not show up, in previous years?

I can't complain. Pretended to be a student for 2-3 years after I graduated and get the discounted single game student tickets. Not sure if there were a lot of people like me or not, but if there was then they likely want to keep that in check.

I can't complain. Pretended to be a student for 2-3 years after I graduated and get the discounted single game student tickets. Not sure if there were a lot of people like me or not, but if there was then they likely want to keep that in check.

^ This, i did this last year. There are LOTS of former students who did this. When you buy/pickup in person I believe they can check your student status and not give you the ticket, but they couldn't online since I'm assuming the Gopher Sports site can't access student records for security reasons.

You can still buy student season tickets since you have to pick them up in person, and they'll check your student status then. Unfortunately this change makes a lot of sense.

I haven't been a student at the U for a few decades, but I remember the week of any matchup there would be different kinds of events around campus. It was hard not to know that there was a home game to be played and who they were playing. Does this still happen? Does the average student know who and when the football team is playing?

^ This, i did this last year. There are LOTS of former students who did this. When you buy/pickup in person I believe they can check your student status and not give you the ticket, but they couldn't online since I'm assuming the Gopher Sports site can't access student records for security reasons.

You can still buy student season tickets since you have to pick them up in person, and they'll check your student status then. Unfortunately this change makes a lot of sense.

Did it in 1972 for basketball also. How I got to witness the brawl with Ohio State.

All I know is that the Student Ticket deals are out and they look great. $99 for season FB, $175 for season FB & season BB or Men's Hockey, $260 for season FB, BB, and Men's Hockey. Single game FB $15 non-con, $20 BIG, $30 Homecoming. Tickets can be loaded into mobile devices. Best of all, free admission to all other Gopher sports. Much better deal than in my yute.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/7/18/student-tickets

Last edited:

I don't know if this is new, but it looks like students can just "load" their tickets on their phones via a mobile app. Similar to how you see some people just use their phones as a boarding pass at the airport.

There won't be such a thing as paper tickets, soon, I bet.

So if that's the case, then the software must be smart enough to link into the University's system for telling if a student is active or not (ie, eligible to buy student tickets). And thus, the decision to discontinue student single game tickets must not be related to people "faking out" the old system?

I don't know if this is new, but it looks like students can just "load" their tickets on their phones via a mobile app. Similar to how you see some people just use their phones as a boarding pass at the airport.

There won't be such a thing as paper tickets, soon, I bet.

So if that's the case, then the software must be smart enough to link into the University's system for telling if a student is active or not (ie, eligible to buy student tickets). And thus, the decision to discontinue student single game tickets must not be related to people "faking out" the old system?

I'm not a current student and just got tickets sent to my phone. Fingers crossed they work.

All I know is that the Student Ticket deals are out and they look great. $99 for season FB, $175 for season FB & season BB or Men's Hockey, $260 for season FB, BB, and Men's Hockey. Single game FB $15 non-con, $20 BIG, $30 Homecoming. Tickets can be loaded into mobile devices. Best of all, free admission to all other Gopher sports. Much better deal than in my yute.

Thank you Gopher Ticket Office employee!

Thank you Gopher Ticket Office employee!

Snark Attack!

Pls note for record. 1. Am not and have never been a card carrying member of Gopher Ticket Office. 2. Would have to be a very long commute if I were. My profile clearly identifies me as living in Northern San Diego county. That is CA. 3. Even if guilty as charged, could just be pointing out relevant info to GH community and maybe even recommend it as a great deal. 4. Any comment from a frowning "Smiley Face" is likely to be snarky. You just reinforced the strereotype.

I think student tickets were $3 a ticket during the Wacker years.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Snark Attack!

Pls note for record. 1. Am not and have never been a card carrying member of Gopher Ticket Office. 2. Would have to be a very long commute if I were. My profile clearly identifies me as living in Northern San Diego county. That is CA. 3. Even if guilty as charged, could just be pointing out relevant info to GH community and maybe even recommend it as a great deal. 4. Any comment from a frowning "Smiley Face" is likely to be snarky. You just reinforced the strereotype.

I have never denied being snarky.

Top Bottom