NMSU top two tacklers, another defensive player out.

swingman

Reaction score
Aggies injured on the defensive side of the ball

New Mexico State could be without its top two tacklers from Saturday.

Middle linebacker Javahn Fergurson and weak side linebacker Leon McQuaker were both injured on Saturday against Wyoming. Fergurson is doubtful with a knee injury and McQuaker is questionable with a knee injury, Martin said.

McQuaker led the Aggies with 18 tackles against Wyoming and Fergurson was second with 15 tackles. Jonathan Hood was listed on the two-deep as the starter for Thursday if McQuaker does not play and senior Lui

Defensive end Jassavia Reese also suffered a knee injury against Wyoming and is doubtful for Saturday.

True freshman Donovan King and converted tight end Jackson Solbeck filled in for Reese on Saturday and should split time on Thurs day.

Injuries suck, even when it is an opponent. Terrible to see a kid hurt in the first game.

Yeah - unfortunately for them, defending 57 run plays against a team that primarily runs out of power sets is a good way to get your front 7 banged up.

Injuries suck, even when it is an opponent. Terrible to see a kid hurt in the first game.

Yeah. Three D linemen (2 LB, 1 DE) down with knee injury in 1st game of year. This is one reason why PJ talks up the Strength and Conditioning and Nutritional programs and coaches. He feels they can really help his team reduce this type of injury. He has also said that he wishes he had Sapp earlier so that he could have been in the program to minimize chances of the type of leg injuries that plagued him in High school. Hope he is correct.

Last edited:

And the rest of the defense took a physical beating, that can be assured. With a short turn around ... the Gophers offense better pile on the yards.

That is too bad. You don't wish this on any team.

The Gophers offense should have a much better time against the NMSU defense. Strange things can happen.

Injuries derailed the Gophers in the 2015 campaign, the year they played TCU at TCF Bank Stadium. The team was never the same after that game. They were like a regular MASH unit.

They went 8-5 (5-3) in 2014 with lots of optimism for for 2015. The Gophers ended up 6-7 (2-6).

Jerry Kill was miffed with Mega Tongue. They paid $800K to cancel a preseason game against North Carolina. Jerry Kill wanted a non-threatening noncon to help in the team development. What does Mega Tongue do? He schedules a game against TCU.

Last edited:

I’m still taking the Under in this one. No brainer. I’ve seen this movie before

Brian Edwards Sports
@vegasbedwards

New Mexico St. jr. DE Cedric Wilcots is out for the team's 1st 2 games due to academic reasons. Wilcots was a 1st-team All Sun Belt pick last yr. when he produced 29 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 3.5 TFL's, 6 QB hurries, 3 PBU & 3 forced fumbles. Aggies open vs Wyoming & @ Minnesota.

7:15 AM - 16 Aug 2018

https://twitter.com/vegasbedwards/status/1030095756127023104

Last edited:

Yeah. Three D linemen (2 LB, 1 DE) down with knee injury in 1st game of year. This is one reason why PJ talks up the Strength and Conditioning and Nutritional programs and coaches. He feels they can really help his team reduce this type of injury. He has also said that he wishes he had Sapp earlier so that he could have been in the program to minimize chances of the type of leg injuries that plagued him in High school. Hope he is correct.

Sorry but there isn't any exercise that strengthens ligaments or protects the knee from cartilaginous injuries. No amount of muscle strength will protect the MCL and/or ACL from a direct lateral blow to the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&C can reduce practice/noncontact injuries (“use” or strain injuries) but it really can do little to prevent a ligamentous injury from a 300 lb DT rolling up on you or having your knee blown up at full speed. That’s just physics, no amount of nutrition or muscle can prevent those things.

S&C can reduce practice/noncontact injuries (“use” or strain injuries) but it really can do little to prevent a ligamentous injury from a 300 lb DT rolling up on you or having your knee blown up at full speed. That’s just physics, no amount of nutrition or muscle can prevent those things.

Correct. When you have guys blowing ACLs non-contact, simply because their leg muscles are so powerful and generate so much side-to-side force on a cut ... it tells you our knees didn’t evolve with football in mind!

Sorry but there isn't any exercise that strengthens ligaments or protects the knee from cartilaginous injuries. No amount of muscle strength will protect the MCL and/or ACL from a direct lateral blow to the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vast majority of ACL tears are non-contact. Unless you get a Willis McGahee situation, its typically due to cutting in the open field or turning. So muscle definitely helps, though you can't prevent all injuries obviously.

PJ and the Gopher coaching staff are being proactive in reducing these injuries. Forgot to mention all the knee braces being worn esp. by OL. Also forgot to mention the importance of returning a strong & healthy Shannon Brooks this season.

It is highly likely that range of motion and stretching exercises could be more important than increasing muscle mass in reducing knee injuries. Combining specialized exercises with advanced nutrition may be a breakthrough. Always remember the now classic definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

All the naysayers (will not use the term "trolls", yet) seem to be offering no other solution. Even if it is only minimally effective, PJ and crew should be praised for trying something new. Other teams may also come up with improvements that should be implemented ASAP for the good of the boys and the game.

A personal note. My UMN degrees and professional experience are in foods and nutrition. Defining moments in my undergrad life were spent in the Keys/Taylor lab under the old Memorial Stadium.

PJ and the Gopher coaching staff are being proactive in reducing these injuries. Forgot to mention all the knee braces being worn esp. by OL. Also forgot to mention the importance of returning a strong & healthy Shannon Brooks this season.

It is highly likely that range of motion and stretching exercises could be more important than increasing muscle mass in reducing knee injuries. Combining specialized exercises with advanced nutrition may be a breakthrough. Always remember the now classic definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

All the naysayers (will not use the term "trolls", yet) seem to be offering no other solution. Even if it is only minimally effective, PJ and crew should be praised for trying something new. Other teams may also come up with improvements that should be implemented ASAP for the good of the boys and the game.

A personal note. My UMN degrees and professional experience are in foods and nutrition. Defining moments in my undergrad life were spent in the Keys/Taylor lab under the old Memorial Stadium.

Yeah. It's revolutionary that only PJ Fleck has ever tried to minimize injuries. One of the thing I hated most about the Wacker through the Kill years was how those coaches tried to get their players hurt.

Oh wait.

The O-line has been wearing knee braces since the Mason years, if not sooner.

I would venture a guess that all P5 conf schools have some level of effort behind this. I'm glad Fleck does it, but it is hardly revolutionary and goes back decades. Hershel Walker famously studied ballet to help his flexibility and body control and that was a long time ago.

Suggesting that PJ Fleck is doing something revolutionary when he's doing what is common place is a problem. If that makes me a troll so be it.

Man, tough break for NMSU. I'm sure they were pretty pumped about this opportunity coming off the historic season and having notched a win here a few years back. If these guys are even slightly hurting tomorrow, I'm guessing they get held out because of the short turnaround and now increasing chances of a blowout.

Top Bottom