Impressions on the Gophers' First Official Depth Chart

DanielHouse

Reaction score
by: Daniel House

The Gophers have released their first official depth chart ahead of the season-opener against New Mexico State on Thursday. It officially highlights a large stable of inexperience which will be asked to play during certain stages of the year. There are currently 28 freshmen players listed throughout the Gophers’ depth chart. Five of those players are listed in top slots, including wide receiver Rashod Bateman, quarterback Zack Annexstad, right guard Blaise Andries, cornerback Terell Smith and wide receiver Demetrius Douglas. All of these players have stood out in practice sessions and will be asked to play on a young roster. The complete team is made up of 53% freshmen and roughly 77 percent of the roster has been with the program less than two years (including transfers). As everyone knows, they’ll be starting quarterback Zack Annexstad, who is the first true freshman walk-on to start Week 1 since Baker Mayfield. Outside of that, youth will be scattered throughout position groups.

Here are a few abbreviated takeaways from the first depth chart:

Wide Receiver
This is the one of the positions where a young player will be thrust into a large role in 2018. In three wide receiver sets, true freshman Rashod Bateman, redshirt freshman Demetrius Douglas and junior Tyler Johnson are all listed at the top. Redshirt freshman Chris Autman-Bell and converted wide receiver Seth Green are also slotted just behind them and will rotate into the group. Bateman is one player who could turn heads and put together huge production as a true freshman.

With the depleted nature of last season’s depth chart at wide receiver, the overall talent injection will help elevate the overall passing game. However, there will be moments of inexperience as the group adjusts to playing college football at a young age. There’s no questioning the talent, though, which will certainly help the Gophers not just this year, but into the future.

Offensive Line
This is one position group where if an injury occurs, a young player will be thrust into a starting role. The Gophers have just two upper classmen backups among all of the offensive line positions. It means Curtis Dunlap Jr. or Daniel Faalele could see action in the event an injury occurs. P.J. Fleck has made it known the team is trying to formulate depth at this position, but it will take time due to the influx of young players the staff added in 2018. The starting core will have some continuity and experience, but the question is whether the unit can make it through the complete slate together.

Defensive Backs
Outside of the top performers like Antoine Winfield Jr., Jacob Huff and Antonio Shenault, the Gophers are inexperienced at the defensive back position. Again, this is another area where young players will need to step up. They’ll probably end up rotating the defensive backs around, but we’ll likely see plenty of true freshmen defensive backs Terell and C.J. Smith this season. Their versatility could allow them to play in the nickel role or outside.

There’s plenty of versatility at the depth spots, which will provide the coaching staff with some flexibility. Terell Smith has been one of the most impressive young players on the roster and is far ahead from a technical standpoint. He has length, size and quickness to get into passing lanes because of his evolving footwork. He is listed as a top option and might rotate into the nickel package with a player like Justus Harris, who benefited from snaps in the late stages of last season. Florida transfer Chris Williamson is listed low in the safety portion of the depth chart and might elevate over time.

Returners
One of the areas where Minnesota didn’t really gain much value was in the punt return game last year. They currently have Antoine Winfield Jr. listed as the starting punt returner. This is fascinating. When Fleck was asked about using him as a return man, he hinted at it being an “experiment.” It’s also worth noting how he has stressed the importance of field position this year. With an explosive playmaker like Winfield Jr. as a returner, perhaps he could create some big plays to set up the offense with a short field. Will he be able to take all of the additional hits? Time will tell.

In addition, Rodney Smith is listed as the primary kick off returner. He has served in this role before, but with added snaps on offense, it will be interesting to see if this is a trend throughout the year.

No. 2 Running Back Job
When asked about the No. 2 running back role behind Rodney Smith, P.J. Fleck has expressed confidence in Mohamed Ibrahim. However, it feels like true freshman Bryce Williams is gaining momentum and could blend into the rotation. He has impressive athleticism and above average agility for a running back. His upside is high and the depth chart currently lists Ibrahim or Williams. When asked about the running back position on Sunday, Fleck highlighted Bryce Williams.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of him as a true freshman,” Fleck said.

The snaps will likely be split and one player will eventually separate themselves though game action. However, don’t be surprised if it’s Williams.

Punter
With Ryan Santoso in the NFL, the Gophers will be using a new punter this year. Jacob Herbers is currently listed as the starter, but this could change throughout the season. SMU transfer Alex Melvin could rotate into the starting role because Fleck indicated they’ll be evaluating the punter position on a week-to-week basis. Special teams is an important component to the game as teams strive to play complementary football.

One of the best football quotes you can live by comes from New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

He said, “What competition is – teamwork and working together and supporting each other and having the offense, defense, and special teams play complementary football and win as a team. This is certainly part of that process and the team building itself together.”

It’s going to be a major key for this team to compete in close games this year.

To see the complete depth chart, you can click here.

Want more premium Gophers content? Purchase a copy of my 2018 Gophers Football Guide. $15 gets you nearly 70 pages previewing the season, future recruiting, film breakdowns and much more! 25% of each purchase will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Minnesota! Get yours here.

by: Daniel House

The Gophers have released their first official depth chart ahead of the season-opener against New Mexico State on Thursday. It officially highlights a large stable of inexperience which will be asked to play during certain stages of the year. There are currently 28 freshmen players listed throughout the Gophers’ depth chart. Five of those players are listed in top slots, including wide receiver Rashod Bateman, quarterback Zack Annexstad, right guard Blaise Andries, cornerback Terell Smith and wide receiver Demetrius Douglas. All of these players have stood out in practice sessions and will be asked to play on a young roster. The complete team is made up of 53% freshmen and roughly 77 percent of the roster has been with the program less than two years (including transfers). As everyone knows, they’ll be starting quarterback Zack Annexstad, who is the first true freshman walk-on to start Week 1 since Baker Mayfield. Outside of that, youth will be scattered throughout position groups.

Here are a few abbreviated takeaways from the first depth chart:

Wide Receiver
This is the one of the positions where a young player will be thrust into a large role in 2018. In three wide receiver sets, true freshman Rashod Bateman, redshirt freshman Demetrius Douglas and junior Tyler Johnson are all listed at the top. Redshirt freshman Chris Autman-Bell and converted wide receiver Seth Green are also slotted just behind them and will rotate into the group. Bateman is one player who could turn heads and put together huge production as a true freshman.

With the depleted nature of last season’s depth chart at wide receiver, the overall talent injection will help elevate the overall passing game. However, there will be moments of inexperience as the group adjusts to playing college football at a young age. There’s no questioning the talent, though, which will certainly help the Gophers not just this year, but into the future.

Offensive Line
This is one position group where if an injury occurs, a young player will be thrust into a starting role. The Gophers have just two upper classmen backups among all of the offensive line positions. It means Curtis Dunlap Jr. or Daniel Faalele could see action in the event an injury occurs. P.J. Fleck has made it known the team is trying to formulate depth at this position, but it will take time due to the influx of young players the staff added in 2018. The starting core will have some continuity and experience, but the question is whether the unit can make it through the complete slate together.

Defensive Backs
Outside of the top performers like Antoine Winfield Jr., Jacob Huff and Antonio Shenault, the Gophers are inexperienced at the defensive back position. Again, this is another area where young players will need to step up. They’ll probably end up rotating the defensive backs around, but we’ll likely see plenty of true freshmen defensive backs Terell and C.J. Smith this season. Their versatility could allow them to play in the nickel role or outside.

There’s plenty of versatility at the depth spots, which will provide the coaching staff with some flexibility. Terell Smith has been one of the most impressive young players on the roster and is far ahead from a technical standpoint. He has length, size and quickness to get into passing lanes because of his evolving footwork. He is listed as a top option and might rotate into the nickel package with a player like Justus Harris, who benefited from snaps in the late stages of last season. Florida transfer Chris Williamson is listed low in the safety portion of the depth chart and might elevate over time.

Returners
One of the areas where Minnesota didn’t really gain much value was in the punt return game last year. They currently have Antoine Winfield Jr. listed as the starting punt returner. This is fascinating. When Fleck was asked about using him as a return man, he hinted at it being an “experiment.” It’s also worth noting how he has stressed the importance of field position this year. With an explosive playmaker like Winfield Jr. as a returner, perhaps he could create some big plays to set up the offense with a short field. Will he be able to take all of the additional hits? Time will tell.

In addition, Rodney Smith is listed as the primary kick off returner. He has served in this role before, but with added snaps on offense, it will be interesting to see if this is a trend throughout the year.

No. 2 Running Back Job
When asked about the No. 2 running back role behind Rodney Smith, P.J. Fleck has expressed confidence in Mohamed Ibrahim. However, it feels like true freshman Bryce Williams is gaining momentum and could blend into the rotation. He has impressive athleticism and above average agility for a running back. His upside is high and the depth chart currently lists Ibrahim or Williams. When asked about the running back position on Sunday, Fleck highlighted Bryce Williams.

“I think you’re going to see a lot of him as a true freshman,” Fleck said.

The snaps will likely be split and one player will eventually separate themselves though game action. However, don’t be surprised if it’s Williams.

Punter
With Ryan Santoso in the NFL, the Gophers will be using a new punter this year. Jacob Herbers is currently listed as the starter, but this could change throughout the season. SMU transfer Alex Melvin could rotate into the starting role because Fleck indicated they’ll be evaluating the punter position on a week-to-week basis. Special teams is an important component to the game as teams strive to play complementary football.

One of the best football quotes you can live by comes from New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick.

He said, “What competition is – teamwork and working together and supporting each other and having the offense, defense, and special teams play complementary football and win as a team. This is certainly part of that process and the team building itself together.”

It’s going to be a major key for this team to compete in close games this year.

To see the complete depth chart, you can click here.

Want more premium Gophers content? Purchase a copy of my 2018 Gophers Football Guide. $15 gets you nearly 70 pages previewing the season, future recruiting, film breakdowns and much more! 25% of each purchase will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Minnesota! Get yours here.

Way too much talk about underclassmen in this post. We need Swingman to balance this out with his "old" "fourth and fifth year" dead horse beating. ;)

Last edited:

When are they supposed to announce who's been reshirted? Great write up Daniel and thanks for posting it.

When are they supposed to announce who's been reshirted? Great write up Daniel and thanks for posting it.
Seeing as injuries could change who they want to be red-shirted, as well as the 4-game allowance for red-shirts, I don't think anything will be official until the end of the season. Not exactly sure how that works though.

Seeing as injuries could change who they want to be red-shirted, as well as the 4-game allowance for red-shirts, I don't think anything will be official until the end of the season. Not exactly sure how that works though.

You can't wait until the end of the season to redshirt someone. You have to do it before the season starts unless it's an injury early in the season. You can pull them at any time though.

You can't wait until the end of the season to redshirt someone. You have to do it before the season starts unless it's an injury early in the season. You can pull them at any time though.

What? All you have to do with s not let them play more than 4 games...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First year watching college football?

Yeah! And Freshmen aren't allowed to play.(Wish the NCAA would change that rule.)

Not at all trying to start an argument. Think 18 of the 22 starters are from the previous staff.

I'm curious to see where Andries (rFr) and Dunlap (Fr) end up playing over their careers. Both at RG now but highly unlikely to remain that way over the next 3-4 years with both being so talented. Both will play significant amounts over their career IMO (not exactly a hot take)

You said this with such vigor and conviction. I applaud you, sir.

Off topic but when did Elijah Teague changed his first name to Jamaal?

Not at all trying to start an argument. Think 18 of the 22 starters are from the previous staff.
Correct if you’re only counting the 2018 class and oj Smith. I’m the 2017 class I believe it was just Demetrius Douglas who was Flecks guy so that’d be 5 starting players.

Correct if you’re only counting the 2018 class and oj Smith. I’m the 2017 class I believe it was just Demetrius Douglas who was Flecks guy so that’d be 5 starting players.

If you’re counting

Nice summary Daniel.

Two position groups that I am most curious about: How the offensive line and the special teams will perform.

But does bring up an interesting question (to me) -- are there any formal reporting requirements at the conclusion of the season, for which players did indeed redshirt? Like does the program have to submit an official list to the NCAA or the Big Ten?

Last edited:

But does bring up an interesting question (to me) -- are there any formal reporting requirements at the conclusion of the season, for which players did indeed redshirt? Like does the program have to submit an official list to the NCAA or the Big Ten?

I know they have a stat sheet of each game of participants. I assume it gets turned into the NCAA and they in turn keep tabs on the redshirts and eligibility.

I know they have a stat sheet of each game of participants. I assume it gets turned into the NCAA and they in turn keep tabs on the redshirts and eligibility.

I believe it is each school's responsibility to ensure their players are eligible. So they don't have to submit anything to the NCAA saying these players played, these didn't. However, if they get caught using a player that played in more seasons than allowed, any wins would be vacated and the school would be punished. Especially if it should have been or was known.

That said I think they do have to submit participation lists somewhere (NCAA? B1G? STATS inc.?), so the information is probably already somewhere accessible.

FYI......It is my understanding that the redshirt rule that allows 4 games of participation does not include a bowl game. So in theory, many teams can play kids 5 games and still redshirt.

FYI......It is my understanding that the redshirt rule that allows 4 games of participation does not include a bowl game. So in theory, many teams can play kids 5 games and still redshirt.

My understanding is that it DOES include bowl game. Why? Because coaches have been arguing, forever, to let true freshman play in just the bowl games, without losing redshirt, as so many guys are usually lost to injuries, etc. over the regular season.

So they did that, and gave them 3 more games to boot.

That's not how I understand it

Do you have any sources to back this understanding? Everything I've read just says "4 games" and doesn't explicitly call out bowl games as an exception. A bowl game is a game, so I don't know why it wouldn't count toward the 4.

Bowl games do, in fact, count as part of the "4 game" rule. But - if you're not in the playoff, you'd be crazy to waste a year of a player for a corporate exhibition.

Bowl games do, in fact, count as part of the "4 game" rule. But - if you're not in the playoff, you'd be crazy to waste a year of a player for a corporate exhibition.

It would make sense to keep that game open for kids you want to stay motivated through the bonus practice period. Could really change what bowl games look like as coaches could be looking ahead to future season and less worried about playing departing seniors and more wanting to get returning players work.

Top Bottom