The Hoosier Network: Preseason Big Ten Football Power Rankings (#13. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Hoosier Network:

13. Minnesota (2-7, 5-7)
This week: Thursday vs New Mexico State (7:00 BTN)

The Golden Gophers are projected to have nine games finish within a touchdown. So, there will be plenty of chances in P.J. Fleck’s second season. However, Minnesota will most likely be starting a freshman quarterback and a lot of their weapons on the outside aren’t returning.

In his first 17 games at Western Michigan, Fleck won three games. After that, he went 27-8, most notably that incredible 2016 season where Western Michigan went 13-1 and lost in the Cotton Bowl to Wisconsin. There’s still excitement around the football program at Minnesota, and with an energetic coach like Fleck, there’s still plenty of upside. However, it will take some patience for Minnesota to eventually reach their full potential under Fleck.

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2...-football-power-rankings-let-the-games-begin/

Go Gophers!!

BuckeyeWire chimes in:

10. Minnesota
Las year can be chalked up to a turn-the-page affair, and the expectation is that P.J. Fleck gets the boat rowing away from the rocky shore this year. There’s still a long way to go though, with the Gophers needing to show improvement under center first and foremost.

https://buckeyewire.com/2018/08/27/buckeye-wire-big-ten-preseason-power-rankings/

Go Gophers!!

Lots of predictions for the Gophers to struggle this year.

Lots of predictions for the Gophers to struggle this year.

There is going to be surprises this year. The BOAT is going to be far enough off shore to catch some big fish!

per The Hoosier Network:

13. Minnesota (2-7, 5-7)
This week: Thursday vs New Mexico State (7:00 BTN)

The Golden Gophers are projected to have nine games finish within a touchdown. So, there will be plenty of chances in P.J. Fleck’s second season. However, Minnesota will most likely be starting a freshman quarterback and a lot of their weapons on the outside aren’t returning.

Go Gophers!!

Zero "weapons" on the outside aren't returning. Tyler Johnson was our only 'weapon' last year. I can buy that we might have a down year, but it won't be because our pass receiving options are worse. They are unquestionably a huge improvement from last year.

Zero "weapons" on the outside aren't returning. Tyler Johnson was our only 'weapon' last year. I can buy that we might have a down year, but it won't be because our pass receiving options are worse. They are unquestionably a huge improvement from last year.

i thought that too, what outside weapons left?

we had a weapon outside of TJ and RS?

per The Hoosier Network:

Man, I'm going to really miss those outside weapons we had a year ago.

Yahoo chimes in:

12. Minnesota (5-7)
Based on the number of underclassmen who played and the lack of skill at quarterback, it’s impressive that Minnesota was able to win five games in P.J. Fleck’s first season. The Gophers will have to scratch and claw to surpass that total in 2018.

Like Rutgers, Minnesota is rolling with a true freshman QB this year. For the Gophers, it’s Zack Annexstad, a teammate of Rutgers’ Sitkowski at IMG Academy. Annexstad, a Minnesota native, accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Fleck over a few FBS scholarships. He has two potential all-conference players — running back Rodney Smith and receiver Tyler Johnson — to distribute the ball to and a solid line to play behind.

On defense, there’s good production back at linebacker and two sturdy safeties, but the rest of the unit is underwhelming.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-big-ten-power-rankings-ohio-state-wisconsin-top-154526479.html

Go Gophers!!

Man, I'm going to really miss those outside weapons we had a year ago.

LOL

While I think we have a better shot at 7 wins than most people think, I think it is completely fair to project us at 5-7 this year. I'm actually surprised not to see more 3-9, 4-8 projections.

Top Bottom