Top 5 American Bands of all time

In college a buddy of mine was arrested for public urination at some music fest in northern Minnesota or Wisconsin. He shared a cell with Molly Hatchet. Evidently, they’d get drunk and show up late to shows, so tgeir manager kicked term out and they were arrested for trespassing trying to climb a fence to get into the show that they were playing at.

My top five:
Slave Raider (to include Letitia Rae’s other work)
Powermad
The Coup de Grace
Morticia
Touched

You, me and the boys...

If I'm going off of bands I'm quite fond of who hit big:

Nirvana
Allman Brothers Band
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Pearl Jam
CCR

If I'm limiting to my personal favorites:
Wilco
Los Lobos
Old 97s
Kings of Leon
The Talking Heads

And if we can include hip-hop, bump Kings of Leon and Old 97s for:
The Beastie Boys
A Tribe Called Quest

Please list bands, not artists with backing bands. A majority of members must be from the U.S.

1. Metallica
2. Pearl Jam
3. the Doors
4. Aerosmith
5. Guns n Roses
6 Lynard Skynard
7 the Eagles
8 CCR
9 Van Halen
10 REM

I grew up in the late 80's, early 90's as you could guess.

Dude! No Earth , Wind & Fire? The list is bogus?[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favorites and successful:
The Doors
Beach Boys
REM
Van Halen
The Ramones

Beach Boys[emoji15]? You are not allowed to comment bands...ever again![emoji41]

Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Smashing Pumpkins
Incubus
Rage Against the Machine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is music other grunge......are you from Seattle?[emoji41]

In no particular order:

Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Grateful Dead
The Allman Brothers Band
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Steely Dan
The Talking Heads

(and if you just want to say successful bands - not necessarily a critical success)
Chicago
the Jackson 5
all the Motown Groups - the Temptations

I absolutely love your list! The Temptations are a top 10 group but I would not classify them remotely as a band (ditto for The Jackson 5).

I absolutely love your list! The Temptations are a top 10 group but I would not classify them remotely as a band (ditto for The Jackson 5).

It was the same group of Detroit studio musicians who played on most of the Motown hit records during the 1960's and early 1970's. The Funk Brothers!

Last edited:

R.E.M.
Green Day
Replacements
Beach Boys
Foo Fighters/Nirvana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In college a buddy of mine was arrested for public urination at some music fest in northern Minnesota or Wisconsin. He shared a cell with Molly Hatchet. Evidently, they’d get drunk and show up late to shows, so tgeir manager kicked term out and they were arrested for trespassing trying to climb a fence to get into the show that they were playing at.

My top five:
Slave Raider (to include Letitia Rae’s other work)
Powermad
The Coup de Grace
Morticia
Touched

Slave Raider was great. Dooleys in Rochester and The Pines in Wisconsin.

Stairway To Heaven was so good. And Heart songs.

Great.

It was the same group of Detroit studio musicians who played on most of the Motown hit records during the 1960's and early 1970's. The Funk Brothers!

Some of the best studio musicians that ever lived!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deal! I'll drive. When do we leave?

Not very friendly to the Mid West.

The 50th anniversary Sweetheart Of The Rodeo Tour includes newly added shows in New York City on September 24, in Boston on September 26, in Nashville on October 8 and in Roanoke, Virginia on October 10. They join previously announced performances on July 24 and 25 in Los Angeles, along with July 29 in Saratoga, California, followed by September 17 and 18 in Albany, New York; a September 20 concert in Hopewell, Virginia and a night in Akron, Ohio on October 3.

Everyone is forgetting:

Honorable Mention: Beach Boys, Chicago, Eagles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, ELO...

For me:
Metallica
Slayer
Allman Brothers
Steely Dan
Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers

The 50th anniversary Sweetheart Of The Rodeo Tour includes newly added shows in New York City on September 24, in Boston on September 26, in Nashville on October 8 and in Roanoke, Virginia on October 10. They join previously announced performances on July 24 and 25 in Los Angeles, along with July 29 in Saratoga, California, followed by September 17 and 18 in Albany, New York; a September 20 concert in Hopewell, Virginia and a night in Akron, Ohio on October 3.

...or the mountain states. Imagine seeing them at Red Rocks.

I thought one of the criteria for being an American Band was they came to my town to help me party down.

In no particualar:

Beach Boys
Eagles
Chicago
The Cars
Steely Dan

I'm trying to think of the most popular all-time American bands would be. For myself, I can only go back to the 60s, so I'm excluding anything before then.

In no order:
* Aerosmith
* Pearl Jam
* Guns 'N Roses
* The Eagles
* Metallica

Some others that easily could be interchanged in this list:
* Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beach Boys, Chicago, The Cars, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Van Halen (both eras), Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac, Prince and the Revolution and/or the NPG, Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, Heart

And seriously, we don't have to go there, but...
* The Backstreet Boys
(hehe)

The lack of love for Van Halen is interesting.

Top Bottom