Lee Corso picks Wisconsin Football to win National Championship

I don't think he'll be right, but the possibility that he might be is very, very real.

The path for uw to make the playoff is not far-fetched at all. They don't have quite the cakewalk schedule as last year (@Iowa, @Michigan, @PSU, and @jNW are all games they could conceivably lose), but running the table is not a reach for them. All that said, I still think a playoff appearance is all they will achieve. For them to win the natty, I think some weird things would need to happen because I still don't think they can match-up against the likes of Clemson or Alabama.

WI has a very good shot this year, as much as I hate to say it.

So here's the guy that's picking Wisconsin? mmm... Ok.

Well they have a good team and are a trendy pick. But I just don't see them winning two games in the playoffs against top competition. But they have a much better chance than we do...

The path for uw to make the playoff is not far-fetched at all. They don't have quite the cakewalk schedule as last year (@Iowa, @Michigan, @PSU, and @jNW are all games they could conceivably lose), but running the table is not a reach for them. All that said, I still think a playoff appearance is all they will achieve. For them to win the natty, I think some weird things would need to happen because I still don't think they can match-up against the likes of Clemson or Alabama.
I think if they had one of those crossovers at home they'd have a shot. I don't think a one loss Wisconsin team gets into the playoff, even if they win the game in Indy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think if they had one of those crossovers at home they'd have a shot. I don't think a one loss Wisconsin team gets into the playoff, even if they win the game in Indy.

Some believe there might be a two loss team that gets in this year.
That's the type of year some are expecting.

It’s obvious the talking heads are tired of talking about the usual suspects reaching the CFP so Wisconsin is a trendy pick. The wild card is whether they can reload on defense as that is what really matter vs elite teams.

Speaking of elite teams, whom has Wisconsin defeated in the last several years that would make one think they’re ready to defeat the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia? Looking over their records, they seem to always falter vs top 10 teams. Their recruiting suggests they don’t have the depth of talent of elite programs.

I’m willing to bet a substantial sum this (Wisconsin running the CFP) will not come to pass.

Maybe for the big name brands, but Wisconsin doesn't have that respect outside of the Midwest. Not saying it's right but when it's close it becomes a popularity contest. It's why Bama got in last year and it's why Ohio State got in over Baylor and TCU in 3014. The fact both teams won the whole thing isn't going motivate change to the system.

It’s obvious the talking heads are tired of talking about the usual suspects reaching the CFP so Wisconsin is a trendy pick. The wild card is whether they can reload on defense as that is what really matter vs elite teams.

Speaking of elite teams, whom has Wisconsin defeated in the last several years that would make one think they’re ready to defeat the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia? Looking over their records, they seem to always falter vs top 10 teams. Their recruiting suggests they don’t have the depth of talent of elite programs.

I’m willing to bet a substantial sum this (Wisconsin running the CFP) will not come to pass.
LSU at Lambeau

Last year Wisco beat Iowa (#25 at the time) and Michigan (#19 at the time) two weeks in a row, both at home though. Lost to OSU in the champ game. But did beat Miami (#11 at the time) in the Orange Bowl.

Two years ago, beat LSU (#5 at the time) at Lambeau, beat Mich St (#8 at the time) on the road, then lost to Michigan (#4 at the time) on the road, and lost to OSU (#2 at the time) at home. That was a brutal 3-week stretch, then two weeks later beat Nebraska (#7 at the time) at home. Lost to Penn St (#8 at the time) in champ game. Beat WMichigan (#12 at the time) in the Cotton Bowl.

Last edited:

Last year Wisco beat Iowa (#25 at the time) and Michigan (#19 at the time) two weeks in a row, both at home though. Lost to OSU in the champ game. But did beat Miami (#11 at the time) in the Orange Bowl.

Two years ago, beat LSU (#5 at the time) at Lambeau, beat Mich St (#8 at the time) on the road, then lost to Michigan (#4 at the time) on the road, and lost to OSU (#2 at the time) at home. That was a brutal 3-week stretch, then two weeks later beat Nebraska (#7 at the time) at home. Lost to Penn St (#8 at the time) in champ game. Beat WMichigan (#12 at the time) in the Cotton Bowl.

Preseason rankings mean nothing.

This idea that WI can't beat good teams is false.
They beat a highly popular Miami team last year which was a CFP contender until late. The game was played in Miami.

Let’s see them get past Michigan and Penn State before we crown their a**

Here is the general consensus from the reddit thread on this:

Ouch, Sorry Wisconsin. - Nebraska fan
Well ****. - wisconsin Whitewater fan
the kiss of death. - Alabama fan
As long as he doesn't pick us for anything. - Georgia fan
My condolences - Nebraska fan
He's just doomed us to a 4 loss season. - wisconsin fan
Thank god I was afraid it was going to be us. - Clemson fan

Preseason rankings mean nothing.

Absolutely correct, I agree.

The numbers I listed in my post, that you replied to, were rankings during the season (the week of the games, each respectively).

EDIT: you must've just been referring to the LSU game, based on the other posts. That's fine, I won't fight you on that one. But the rest I think are valid.

Last edited:

LSU ended up unranked, their coach was fired one month into the season, and they were horribly overrated.

Yep, I do agree somewhat and totally get the argument that rankings during the season don't count.

But it can't be hand-waived away that during that week there was pressure of playing a ranked team. That's not a zero factor. Might not be a significant factor, but it's there.

I think they have a legit shot, I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't be the greatest upset ever.

I think Alabama in particular is a very bad match up for them

They were smart enough to not put NDSU on their schedule either, so that's an L they dont' have to worry about

So you're saying Alabama is going to have two regular season losses this year...

I think they have a legit shot, I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't be the greatest upset ever.

I think Alabama in particular is a very bad match up for them

They were smart enough to not put NDSU on their schedule either, so that's an L they dont' have to worry about

Why would they?

So you're saying Alabama is going to have two regular season losses this year...

PAC12 might have issues. Washington plays Auburn early. If Washington loses, the PAC12 will look weak.
Unlikely Alabama doesn't win SEC and unlikely Clemson doesn't win ACC.
Big 12 - not sure if there's anyone there.

Big 10 could get two or else SEC will.

PAC12 might have issues. Washington plays Auburn early. If Washington loses, the PAC12 will look weak.

Yeah, I was just joking because it seems like the committee will find anyway possible to get Alabama in the playoffs.

USC and Oregon still have pretty good name recognition nationally.

Top Bottom