StarTrib: How plunging ticket sales have changed Gophers sports

There are lots of ways the U could go.
Make the "donations" true donations - make them optional, and not mandatory. - Big revenue loss
Restrict the mandatory donations to the very best seats. - Big revenue loss
Have a two-tier ticket policy. If you make a "donation," then tickets cost X$. If you choose not to make a donation, the tickets cost X+? - No idea..
reduce the cost of all donations. - Revenue loss
reduce the cost of all tickets - with or without donations. - Revenue loss

In the end, I suspect the U will sit around with their thumbs up their butts and pray that the Gophers win, and win big.

Depends on what the mandate is. Do they want to slash revenue to sell another 6,800 seats? That's the real question.

With all the empty seats, I don't understand why they don't sell off one hour prior to KO at a reduced rate. Plus offer low ticket prices to youth and high school students in advance. There will be people looking for a last minute "Blue Light Special" which will fill some empty seats.

The UM needs to work out a system to bring back ST holders who dropped with the seat donation. Give them an incentive to renew and restore a percentage of their Gopher Points.

So, if get a couple frozen pizzas, I could score tickets to NMSU.
I've had season tickets since 1995. I am in the seats which basically doubled because of my generous donations. My reward again this year from Loyalty Points is a calendar.
I'd say the marketing folks are idiots, but quite honestly, I've been the idiot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good post.

I have to imagine that the reason they haven't dropped ticket/donation prices is that it would be a net loss in revenue to do so (and they don't want to go to the reagents with a lower number), but they obviously can see the market value of the tickets by looking on stubhub and such. Would love to see the student section packed at the start of every game, but obviously students are not interested enough. Wins will probably help that too, but idk. They definitely have the means to send a survey out to students to inquire why they don't go to football games/get there at the start. Maybe they have and didn't get any actionable things? Sometimes it just seems like they aren't actually collecting data from the fans about how to improve the experience.

Its all of the above but the way things were handled with the firing of Claeys still bothers people and hurt sales. My demographic, 55+, have felt alienated by the new "culture" as well.

I think you have a very polite way of expressing what's on the minds of many of my demographic.

A big inflection point is when low demand causes the secondary market price to fall below the face value.

When it drops below this, any fan who doesn't believe their entire group can fill whatever seats they own for all of the games should bail because it doesn't make economic sense otherwise. Why not just pay (less) as you go and not have to deal with the hassle of selling any extras, likely at a loss?

Getting single game tickets last minute for a hefty discount using super-easy and trustworthy online services has been taught to fans at many NCAA stadiums, and this approach is only going to grow in popularity until there's flat out more demand than supply for Gopher football. Season ticket sales may drop a lot while actual attendance stays flat.

Its all of the above but the way things were handled with the firing of Claeys still bothers people and hurt sales. My demographic, 55+, have felt alienated by the new "culture" as well.

Where to start?
Well 1st, PJ is going for the younger culture for a couple of good reasons. First, demographics. Second, to get the attention of his target audience of young players and even younger commits who converse solely on Twitter and can be bought (if it were legal) with comic books and video games. Third, get students in the stands. There are more than enough Mpls, Stp, and evening students to fill 1/2 the stadium. That could also help generate more crowd enthusiasm. Finally, PJ correctly saw that enthusiasm was the only way to get the program into the prominence of over a half century ago. How many good coaches have tried and failed in the meantime? Remember the now classic definition of insanity - Expecting different results while continuing the same actions.

2nd. This member of the 55+ demographic would have been far more alienated by daU covering up the whole sex party, team revolt incident. MN is not Ohio or MD. The Gopher FB program basically blew itself apart and badly needed a full restart. Could that have been done with Claeys in place?

3rd. What MN sports franchise has a better story and positive media coverage to compete for the sports market?

Did the article mention the poor student attendance? I know that Jerry brought some students back to the games, but it was a struggle. I may be wrong, but doesn't Minnesota have the worst student attendance in the Big Ten?

It mentioned that in a general way...not a college experience priority for Millennials. I do think winning at an elevated and sustained level (9+) is key. Winning is the rising tide...gets more coverage, easier to market, etc.

Did I read it right that Purdue's average attendance per game increased 13K last year?

Gopher football is not great entertainment if you're not a fan.

The only thing shocking about the ticket revenue is how small of an impact that has on the budget. Ticket revenue might be down 8 million but the shared revenue from the conference jumped from 36 million to 54 million this year. The total budget is up to 121 million. Now that we've got the practice facilities built and the tv revenue is better than ever, it's time to cut ticket prices and fill the stadiums.

+1 BTN revenue alone was $51M per school this past season, or roughly double the take from the Football, MBB, and Hockey gates. The moneymaking potential of TV and digital distribution is simply larger than selling tickets to people to sit in seats. As time goes on, the priorities in the game experience will continue to reflect that - innovations will happen to improve the TV/digital experience, possibly at the expense of the live experience.

We're barreling toward a possible future where the games still happen, people still watch, the fan experience may be superior, but the huge stadiums may feel like obsolete relics at all but a few schools and big games. Unless they drop the ticket prices hard in order to make it not look dead as hell for fans watching at home. Someday, it might be like attending a free taping of a TV show, because that's what the games basically will be.

Last edited:

I'm not really sure what it would take to bring back some of us former season ticket holders at this point. Winning rivalry games would get my attention, I'd be inclined to just go to single games again. But my former group has all moved on to other forms of entertainment.

+1 BTN revenue alone was $51M per school this past season, or roughly double the take from the Football, MBB, and Hockey gates. The moneymaking potential of TV and digital distribution is simply larger than selling tickets to people to sit in seats. As time goes on, the priorities in the game experience will continue to reflect that - innovations will happen to improve the TV/digital experience, possibly at the expense of the live experience.

We're barreling toward a possible future where the games still happen, people still watch, the fan experience may be superior, but the huge stadiums may feel like obsolete relics at all but a few schools and big games. Unless they drop the ticket prices hard in order to make it not look dead as hell for fans watching at home. Someday, it might be like attending a free taping of a TV show, because that's what the games basically will be.

There's a few bowl games like that...the TV revenue is most of the $$, the actual gate is a bonus.

Of course, not a single word in the story about the hike in "donation" levels a few years ago. To read the story, you get the impression that people just stopped buying tickets for no reason.

I didn't see Big Ten Hockey anywhere either. This story was A1. What a joke.

These are all good dialogue and discussions. I hope the U is monitoring Gopherhole.

If they can sustain the program from the TV revenue, why can't they make it a goal to lower season tickets costs lower than single season tickets? That is if we want to motivate more fans to become season ticket holders. The question is, with the younger demographics, is there a shift away from buying season tickets?

The most important thing is, we want the Gophers to have sustained winning.

Things I'd like to see which will also may invigorate fan interest:

1. Beat Wisconsin
2. Beat Wisconsin more often.
3. Invigorate the rivalry games by making it a true rivalry instead of a slaughter.
4. Win the B1G West Title.
5. Win the B1G Title outright and go to the Rose Bowl!
6. Dream big and aim for a national title.

This is like looking up the cliff of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. We'll get to the top sooner or later. Let's hope that PJ Fleck is here to stay if his magic works.

Last edited:

These are all good dialogue and discussions. I hope the U is monitoring Gopherhole.

If they can sustain the program from the TV revenue, why can't they make it a goal to lower season tickets costs lower than single season tickets? That is if we want to motivate more fans to become season ticket holders. The question is, with the younger demographics, is there a shift away from buying season tickets?

1. Beat Wisconsin
3. Invigorate the rivalry games by making it a true rivalry instead of a slaughter.

This is like looking up the cliff of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. We'll get to the top sooner or later. Let's hope that PJ Fleck is here to stay if his magic works.
Let the people climb the path to the top of Yosemite Falls and then hike the rim to the top of El Capitan.
My point...
There is an easier path if the Gophers would let people take it.
As it is, the prices are far too high for the value provided.
Last year's Maryland game still is bitter in being. I won't be fooled again (Yes a reference to the Who).

My two daughters graduated from Texas Tech. Student athletic tickets were part of their student fees. In other words all students bought tickets. If you already have tickets, that might be some incentive to attend. Not sure if other Big 12 schools had similar policy.

They can't lower the price much on 44,000 tickets to try and sell those 6800 without killing their overall revenue. Extra programs and concessions won't make up the difference. There won't be a revenue increase there would surely be a revenue decrease.

Selfishly would love to see it, but it's not gonna happen unless that average attendance plummets.

The plan they had sort of worked. Their overall revenue did increase.

I think it's 100% this. Given that they still sell over 40K tickets, they can't lower the price on tickets very much to sell the rest. As you point out, attendance would have to absolutely crater before the math worked out to making even just a 10-20% price reduction financially 'worth it'.

The part you didn't cover here is what that really means: the University basically gave the middle finger to middle class folks who used to be able to justify the expense. They almost literally said, "we don't need you because we make more $ selling 40K tickets at much higher prices to rich folks and corporations than we do selling 50K tickets at a price regular folks can actually afford."

Even putting aside the irony of the U's BS lip service to 'loyalty' after such a move, this is simply a short-sighted approach and we are starting to see the inevitable result.

Plain and simple they are reaping what they've sown.

EDIT: and what it really means is they are creating a new generation of young folks and families that simply couldn't care less about the program...

Last edited:

Gopher football is not great entertainment if you're not a fan.

This is true, with respect to last year. The team looked so incompetent at times that if you are not a gopher fb fan you are not going to take 5 hours out of your day to watch a poorly performing team at the stadium. On top of that, ending last season with 2 shut outs in a row is really going to drive down interest. Ask yourself, "Who is going to be breaking down the doors to TCF to watch this team?" Other than die hard fans, no one.

I don't think any pricing gimmicks are going to increase attendance. When you are asking people to spend about 5 hours (figure drive time, tailgate and game time) of their day to watch your team, you better make it a worthwhile experience. Getting shut out will cause a fan base to lose interest quickly.

This is true, with respect to last year. The team looked so incompetent at times that if you are not a gopher fb fan you are not going to take 5 hours out of your day to watch a poorly performing team at the stadium. On top of that, ending last season with 2 shut outs in a row is really going to drive down interest. Ask yourself, "Who is going to be breaking down the doors to TCF to watch this team?" Other than die hard fans, no one.

I don't think any pricing gimmicks are going to increase attendance. When you are asking people to spend about 5 hours (figure drive time, tailgate and game time) of their day to watch your team, you better make it a worthwhile experience. Getting shut out will cause a fan base to lose interest quickly.

I think this is ridiculous.
The idea that last two games of the year made potential ticket buyers think they shouldn't buy tickets this year is one of the dumbest things I've read today.
Like losing at NW 27-20 would have made things better?

Sure, here I am casual sports fan.
Hey, maybe we should get some Gopher tickets!
Wait, let me look at their schedule LAST YEAR and see how they did.
Hmmm 5-7. That's okay.
"Oh wait, look at those last two games. They didn't score a point. I can only assume this is the start of a new trend which may last a very long time."
Let's go watch soccer instead.

1. Beat Wisconsin

In mountain climbing, best to do it one step at a time. The best way to start winning the rivalry games would be beating Iowa for Floyd at Homecoming. Suggest GH'rs do everything possible to rock TCF and support the turnaround. Or, to really mix my metaphors, let's get the football rolling uphill! The return of Floyd is much more likely this year than going into Madison and getting the Axe back from a possible CF championship team. A rivalry trophy in hand is better than ....

I agree. Honest question, do you think they are even trying to reach your demographic?

Based on what people have told me, no. The "row the boat" thing pretty much answers the question. Out of my 10 or so friends who have had tickets previously and those who do, simply despise the whole RTB thing.

They have to start winning more home games to bring fan enthusiasm up first of all. Then Beat Wisconsin. Beat Wisconsin. Beat Wisconsin!

Your statement is not overstated and Ill say it again BEAT WISCONSIN!! which doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. I canceled my tickets when they started raising prices due to mandatory donation fee and was not willing to pay more for my seats with the product I was seeing on the field.

I think it's 100% this. Given that they still sell over 40K tickets, they can't lower the price on tickets very much to sell the rest. As you point out, attendance would have to absolutely crater before the math worked out to making even just a 10-20% price reduction financially 'worth it'.

The part you didn't cover here is what that really means: the University basically gave the middle finger to middle class folks who used to be able to justify the expense. They almost literally said, "we don't need you because we make more $ selling 40K tickets at much higher prices to rich folks and corporations than we do selling 50K tickets at a price regular folks can actually afford."

Even putting aside the irony of the U's BS lip service to 'loyalty' after such a move, this is simply a short-sighted approach and we are starting to see the inevitable result.

Plain and simple they are reaping what they've sown.

EDIT: and what it really means is they are creating a new generation of young folks and families that simply couldn't care less about the program...

Yep.

When they first announced that massive increase in Donation fees, I called the ticket office. Just couldn't believe it could be that much that soon. I'll paraphrase the response I got but it was along the line of "Understood, but we shouldn't have much trouble selling your tickets. We have corporations waiting to buy them".

Seriously. They're good seats so maybe the "bleep" was telling the truth. Or he was just tired of getting yelled at. Should add that I didn't do that. No point really. Decision was made way up the line from him.

Fired off an e-mail to Teague. He apologized for the response from the Ticket Office. Pretty "canned response" from there on in. He then went on to justify it. Not sure if he invited me to "discuss the issue with other Season Ticket Holders" then or in a subsequent e-mail.

Turned the offer down. Not big on sales pitches disguised as discussions.

They've got a real problem over there that only a big season or two will change.

It will be nice to polish the pig and place it in the empty trophy case.

Yep.

When they first announced that massive increase in Donation fees, I called the ticket office. Just couldn't believe it could be that much that soon. I'll paraphrase the response I got but it was along the line of "Understood, but we shouldn't have much trouble selling your tickets. We have corporations waiting to buy them".

Seriously. They're good seats so maybe the "bleep" was telling the truth. Or he was just tired of getting yelled at. Should add that I didn't do that. No point really. Decision was made way up the line from him.

Fired off an e-mail to Teague. He apologized for the response from the Ticket Office. Pretty "canned response" from there on in. He then went on to justify it. Not sure if he invited me to "discuss the issue with other Season Ticket Holders" then or in a subsequent e-mail.

Turned the offer down. Not big on sales pitches disguised as discussions.

They've got a real problem over there that only a big season or two will change.

Went to the Iowa game at TCF a year after I gave up my tickets and was sitting directly across from the section I had my seats in, the section was half empty, I think that says it all.

Based on what people have told me, no. The "row the boat" thing pretty much answers the question. Out of my 10 or so friends who have had tickets previously and those who do, simply despise the whole RTB thing.

What do you have against a person taking the loss of their child, using it to refocus his life, putting himself out there to try to better the lives of others.

That's essentially what RTB is about. That's upsetting to you?

Sure, here I am casual sports fan.
Hey, maybe we should get some Gopher tickets!
Wait, let me look at their schedule LAST YEAR and see how they did.
Hmmm 5-7. That's okay.
"Oh wait, look at those last two games. They didn't score a point. I can only assume this is the start of a new trend which may last a very long time."
Let's go watch soccer instead.

Wow. You must literally live in a cave. I'm surprised you have internet access with your neanderthal thinking. You don't think that casual fans in Minneapolis noticed that the gophers got shut out in their last two games? Or, I guess like you, everyone in the Cities live in caves and don't pay attention to anything until the day of purchase. I am sure the poor ticket sales have nothing to do with the gophers past performance. I guess in your world it is the gophers not doing more gimmicky ticket ideas like buying 10 doughnuts at Krispy Kreme and getting season tickets.

If you think that casual fans are unaware of how poorly the gophers played last year and that the casual fan does not take last year's performance into consideration when deciding to go to the NMUSU game or buy any tickets for this coming year, then you clearly do not understand consumer behavior. With the advent of the Internet (I know you may not be familiar with this tool) consumers are more informed than ever.

To think that how the gophers performed last year has no correlation to the poor ticket sales is laughable. Quite frankly, with your neanderthal thinking, I can see why someone like you might think I am stupid, but believe me, you are the one who is ignorant.

Wow. You must literally live in a cave. I'm surprised you have internet access with your neanderthal thinking. You don't think that casual fans in Minneapolis noticed that the gophers got shut out in their last two games? Or, I guess like you, everyone in the Cities live in caves and don't pay attention to anything until the day of purchase. I am sure the poor ticket sales have nothing to do with the gophers past performance. I guess in your world it is the gophers not doing more gimmicky ticket ideas like buying 10 doughnuts at Krispy Kreme and getting season tickets.

If you think that casual fans are unaware of how poorly the gophers played last year and that the casual fan does not take last year's performance into consideration when deciding to go to the NMUSU game or buy any tickets for this coming year, then you clearly do not understand consumer behavior. With the advent of the Internet (I know you may not be familiar with this tool) consumers are more informed than ever.

To think that how the gophers performed last year has no correlation to the poor ticket sales is laughable. Quite frankly, with your neanderthal thinking, I can see why someone like you might think I am stupid, but believe me, you are the one who is ignorant.

To your point, there are a lot of things that play into the lousy Season Ticket numbers. The Coach and some "fans" telling people that winning won't matter for 2-3 years and scoring 10,10,54,zero and zero in their last 5 games certainly have been a part of it.

That Nebraska win really was sweet. Who thought we'd get less than a week to enjoy it?

Top Bottom