Nebraska names true freshman Adrian Martinez as Starter

husker70

Reaction score

In a place where people are starved for a winner and have no other options, positivity drives clicks.

lol he cant be that good since hes a true freshmen... says a GH expert.

Rutgers is also starting a Freshman QB this week.

Jerry's recruit...

Didn't know that. Wonder if the d-bag Offensive Coordinator from IMG is gonna mention it...? :rolleyes:

Rutgers has named true freshman Artur Sitkowski as the starting quarterback for next week's season opener against Texas State, coach Chris Ash announced Friday.

Sitkowski beat out incumbent Gio Rescigno and Johnathan Lewis in camp to become the first freshman quarterback to start a season opener for Rutgers since Ryan Cubit in 2001. The Scarlet Knights haven't started a freshman quarterback in any game since Gary Nova in 2011.

An ESPN 300 prospect in the 2018 recruiting class, the 6-foot-6 Sitkowski rated as the nation's No. 17 pocket passer. He's the second freshman quarterback from Florida's IMG Academy to be named a Big Ten starter this week, joining Minnesota's Zack Annexstad, a walk-on.

Sitkowski enrolled early at Rutgers, practiced throughout the spring and threw for 280 yards and three touchdowns on 11 completions in the spring game. He played three years for Old Bridge (New Jersey) High School before transferring to IMG Academy.

This coverage is glowing all over the internet. This link is from the Lincoln Journal Star Meanwhile in Minneapolis we have the doom and gloom pessimists saying we cannot expect too much from a true freshman. We need a quarterback whisperer, a wing and prayer

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/freshman-adrian-martinez-wins-huskers-starting-quarterback-job/article_268e830f-4ddd-588e-9e29-61bf8c45bf87.html
When one is a four star and the other is a walk on, the narrative will be different, but that's why the games are played on the field and not on paper

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If you didn't see Nebraska's spring game on BTN, Martinez is top drawer talent: runs very well, quick, and can throw on the run with accuracy. They have a ton of receivers and tight ends this year as targets. their offense will be all over the place. The second place QB, Gebbia, would start at a lot of places.

If you didn't see Nebraska's spring game on BTN, Martinez is top drawer talent: runs very well, quick, and can throw on the run with accuracy. They have a ton of receivers and tight ends this year as targets. their offense will be all over the place. The second place QB, Gebbia, would start at a lot of places.

So he doesn't have that shot-put throwing motion the last Martinez had?

Sitkowaki and Zach were on IMG together if I am not mistaken. Two freshman QB starting in the Bug ten from the same highschool. That might be a first.

JD Spielman - we shouldn't have let him get away.

USC names true freshman JT Daniels to start. Again its all over the internet. And we continue to question a starting a true Freshman QB. Wake up Minnesota sportswriters.

As someone else pointed out, the wrinkle for the Gophers is that the starting QB is a walk-on. And Yes, I know he's not a typical walk-on, but for national writers, or beat writers for other teams, all they see is "walk-on true freshman."

As mentioned before, most people just assume that a scholarship player is better that a walk-on, or more highly regarded. And in most cases, they're probably right.

And finally - whether you like it or not, in some (NOT ALL) college football markets, the media is generally more supportive of the program - or at least not openly antagonistic. the Minnesota media has a strange relationship with Gopher football. (not counting Sid, who loves the Gophers - but there is only one Sid.)

Looks like Nebraska's 4 star QB from last year, Tristan Gebbia, is going to transfer.

Looks like Nebraska's 4 star QB from last year, Tristan Gebbia, is going to transfer.

He has transferred.

The Huskers currently only have JUCO Sophomore and walk-on Freshman (just enrolled August 1st) as eligible backups. The UCF backup from last year transferred to Nebraska, but must sit out a year due to transfer rules.

Nebraska qb situation is suddenly close to being catastrophic with one scholarship qb. No, I didn’t check to see if the pwo had power 5 offers,

This late in the game, what are Gebbia’s transfer options for this year and next?

I don't know much of the details but this seems a bad choice. What's he trying to gain by dropping out and transferring now? He'll miss this season for sure and likely the next. He will see no action, no practices, and create no tape.

I can understand a transfer at season end. But why not wait and see if the Martinez kid is any good, can make it through the season healthy, out of trouble, grades, etc?

There's a well above 50/50 chance the backup would have seen some reps or started a game or three this year at Nebraska. Then who knows? Mitch Leidner/Phil Nelson scenarios happen all the time.

I don't know much of the details but this seems a bad choice. What's he trying to gain by dropping out and transferring now? He'll miss this season for sure and likely the next. He will see no action, no practices, and create no tape.

I can understand a transfer at season end. But why not wait and see if the Martinez kid is any good, can make it through the season healthy, out of trouble, grades, etc?

There's a well above 50/50 chance the backup would have seen some reps or started a game or three this year at Nebraska. Then who knows? Mitch Leidner/Phil Nelson scenarios happen all the time.

Well, if you're 18-19 and you felt like you didn't get a fair shake, the idea of sticking around to help save a team should the #1 QB go down isn't as appealing as leaving and having them crash and burn without you.

Top Bottom