PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 8-26-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the sports huddle on WCCO radio on Sunday. (Fleck was on by phone, with the hosts at the State Fair).

Sid: Scouting report on NMex St.
PJ: people got to watch them last night. they played a very talented Wyoming team. (Wyoming) may be the favorite team from the group of 5 for a NY Day's bowl. one game doesn't dictate how we think of our opponent. last year they won 1st bowl game in school history. one game won't dictate how we prepare for them. they're very talented on defense -have everybody returning. their offense is going through changes, with a new QB, new WR's. they're going to want to play a lot better against us.

Sid: have you ever had this young of a squad?
PJ: it's similar to our 2nd year at WMU. We might have more FR on the 2-deeps here. it's one of the most youthful teams we've had. when we got here, we knew that we got the '18 and '19 classes in here, people will see the future of Gopher FB. we're young, inexperienced, but we're also talented, led by some guys who have played football here, like Rodney Smith. the upperclassmen have got to do a great job of leading.

Sid: is this like the 2nd year at WMU when you went 8-5?
PJ: I don't like to compare seasons. everyone looks at results. it's 2 different places, different conferences, different types of situations. At WMU, I think we started the year 1-4, then it clicked for our young guys. here, we've got a chance to be good - just a question of how fast can the young players help us to provide depth. excited about Thursday.

Sid: name some of last year's red-shirt players who could play
PJ: Blaise Andries will start as a RS FR. have some RS who could start as WR - Bell, Douglas. Big O at DE (Otomewo) will play. a ton of other true FR, more RS FR. lot of players for fans to be excited about.

Sid: lost all those games at end of season. (something about losing close games........I think.....)
PJ: that was last year. as a staff we look at what could we have done better - what did we do well. we lost 4 close games that we weren't good enough to pull out. we wanted to win, but we didn't refuse to lose, and that may have showed up in those games at the end of the year. last 2 games were not close. we had lot of close games where, maybe if we win, it does more to impact the end of the year. games are not played hypothetically. this is a new year. Kick things off on Thursday at 6pm.

Mona: (asks 2 questions) decision on Annexstad? Use of red-shirts?
PJ: (RS's) staff will meet today. talk about who's going to play, who we use the RS rule on. when to use. may be some with an injury - don't want to play them right away, or we may happen to need them at the end of the year. look at all types of scenarios. every single player comes into play on how you want to RS them. it's more difficult, but allows us to be more creative.

As far as the QB - they're both good enough to play. it was the hardest decision I've had to make as a coach. Zack won the job, but Tanner was really close. If Tanner plays, he'll do a great job. I trust both QB's. Will Tanner play - that's a possibility as we go through the season. But Zack is the starter - he deserves the opportunity.

Sid: you were 11th in pass defense last year in the country but not good against the run.
PJ: lot of factors go into that. we're rebuilding this toward what we want to be. it takes personnel - schemes - recruiting - development. we know what we have to get better at, and how much time it's going to take. on defense, we want to make people 1-dimensional - force them to do something, and take away the success they have. (something about last year - I missed it..........)

Sid: healthy Cashman, Winfield make a difference.
PJ: helps a lot. they're 2 of the best players on the team. they've worked hard in the off-season. we're taking things one day at time. excited to get going.

Mona: who will you use in the return game?
PJ: Rodney on KR. as we go through year, could look at other RB's or WR's on KO Return. Punt return is up in the air. Winfield is one of the best athletes on the team. We could also look at Shenault or Douglas. need to develop more guys in that role.

Max: Kicker and punter?
PJ: Carpenter is our place-kicker. I know he wanted to be more consistent last year. proud of him. he's had a tremendous training camp. Punter - losing Santoso hurts. Alex (Melvin) and Jacob Herbers have done great job competing. we'll find out as we get closer to game day. we can improve at every position. need to do what we do well. as a team, we have different strengths and weaknesses than last year.

Sid: deeper at WR than last year.
PJ: we're a lot deeper at every position than last year. Our depth is filled with FR. FR everywhere you look providing backup roles. that's what we have to be able to do for long-term success. we have a lot of youthful players. 20-some FR on 2-deeps. very exciting for the future. I love to play young players. young people can surprise you in a lot of ways. need upperclassmen to lead the way.

Mona: win coin toss - do you defer or receive?
PJ: we always defer.

Sid: good ticket deals, Murrays
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

It would appear that "competing" is code word for....lack of talent but tries really hard. Our punting game is a real concern!

"As far as the QB - they're both good enough to play. it was the hardest decision I've had to make as a coach. Zack won the job, but Tanner was really close. If Tanner plays, he'll do a great job. I trust both QB's. Will Tanner play - that's a possibility as we go through the season. But Zack is the starter - he deserves the opportunity."

That is a good thing.

Thanks for the summary S.O.N. Can't listen to Sid anymore. Makes me sad more than anything else.

Sid's questions are as routine as our traditional RUTM play-calling. Glad to hear Zack gets time to develop. I know the "not on a short leash" comment was made, but it's nice to have that notion reiterated. Always defer on the coin toss, eh? Always wondered what the strategy was on coin tosses.

Sid: Scouting report on NMex St.
PJ: people got to watch them last night. they played a very talented Wyoming team. (Wyoming) may be the favorite team from the group of 5 for a NY Day's bowl. one game doesn't dictate how we think of our opponent. last year they won 1st bowl game in school history. one game won't dictate how we prepare for them. they're very talented on defense -have everybody returning. their offense is going through changes, with a new QB, new WR's. they're going to want to play a lot better against us. .

This is how I see it too. While NMST surely did not scare any team on their schedule based on last night's game, my guess is that they will be a different team on Thursday.

we've got a chance to be good]

My biggest takeaway. This is probably the most positive thing I’ve ever heard from PJ. Maybe we’ll surprise some people (including myself).

Thanks son! Lots of talk about the depth chart, have they posted one anywhere yet?

Great job as usual SON. NMSU will be a good litmus test on the progress of the Gophers 2018 edition. Although they weren't up to snuff against Wyoming, they have an experience defense.

It may be that the Gophers defense and the TOP that will decide the game. I am excited to see if which Gophers team will show up. One that is tentative and uneasy and end up playing it safe. Or one that will shake the cobwebs and take chances on opening up the passing game to augment the running attack.

The longer their defense is on the field, the greater the chances for the Gophers to win IMHO. I'd expect a Gophers run dominant night intersperse by an opportunistic passing attack.

I'd venture to say a 60/40 Run/Pass ratio. Gophers win. It is a question of margin.

Last edited:

Great job as usual SON. NMSU will be a good litmus test on the progress of the Gophers 2018 edition. Although they weren't up to snuff against Wyoming, they have an experience defense.

It may be that the Gophers defense and the TOP that will decide the game. I am excited to see if which Gophers team will show up. One that is tentative and uneasy and end up playing it safe. Or one that will shake the cobwebs and take chances on opening up the passing game to augment the running attack.

The longer their defense is on the field, the greater the chances for the Gophers to win IMHO. I'd expect a Gophers run dominant night intersperse by an opportunistic passing attack.

I'd venture to say a 60/40 Run/Pass ratio. Gophers win. It is a question of margin.

Their defense has experience but not in a good way. Bad defense last year and returning most...add that they lost their key skill play makers on offense and the Gophs should win going away.

Great recap, thenk you.

Don’t buy that TM won’t get some meaningful snaps with offense in NM St game. Have to know what you have, when neither guy has any game experience.

Thanks, shorty. You always come through. Gophers win big on Thursday. Good experience for all this youth. Annexstad 16 for 24 and 200+ yards, 3 TDs, no INTs. Morgan looks real good in clean up.

Thanks, shorty. You always come through. Gophers win big on Thursday. Good experience for all this youth. Annexstad 16 for 24 and 200+ yards, 3 TDs, no INTs. Morgan looks real good in clean up.

I love the forecast.

It would appear that "competing" is code word for....lack of talent but tries really hard. Our punting game is a real concern!

Agree 100%. It looked awful in the spring game. Our special teams needs to be better. They weren’t nearly as good last year as they were under Kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great recap, thenk you.

Don’t buy that TM won’t get some meaningful snaps with offense in NM St game. Have to know what you have, when neither guy has any game experience.

Why don’t you buy it?

Maybe it's just my nature, but when people start saying "the Gophers should win easily," those are the games that worry me the most. It's like tempting fate. And fate is saying "Oh no, those Gopher fans are at it again. I guess it's time to teach them another lesson......."

Maybe it's just my nature, but when people start saying "the Gophers should win easily," those are the games that worry me the most. It's like tempting fate. And fate is saying "Oh no, those Gopher fans are at it again. I guess it's time to teach them another lesson......."

Gophs are in trouble if that isn't the case Thursday...NMSU is not a good team.

That is too funny. I laughed out loud. I can literally here fate speaking those words to us Gopher fb fans.

No, just no. Fate doesn't conspire against them, they've just been pretty bad except for a handful of seasons since they finished 3rd in the Big Ten in 1973! There is no reason to follow the Gophers, let alone buy Season Tickets, if it means you need to have a sense of dread before every damn game!

Wyoming started a Freshman against NMSU last night and did pretty well. Pretty confident that Fleck and that Offensive Line will be able to protect ZA and give Rodney some holes to get upfield.

If we're giving up to the Aggies already what's the point?

If the line can give Zack some time, Zack will complete some passes.

If the line can run block, we'll get some good yardage in the running game.

If we get both of those two things, we will score.

If we score more points than NMSU, we will win the game.

Agree 100%. It looked awful in the spring game. Our special teams needs to be better. They weren’t nearly as good last year as they were under Kill.

Special teams last year were not the problem.

Firm grasp of the obvious.

"As far as the QB - they're both good enough to play. it was the hardest decision I've had to make as a coach. Zack won the job, but Tanner was really close. If Tanner plays, he'll do a great job. I trust both QB's. Will Tanner play - that's a possibility as we go through the season. But Zack is the starter - he deserves the opportunity."

That is a good thing.

Thanks for the summary S.O.N. Can't listen to Sid anymore. Makes me sad more than anything else.

Great recap S.O.N.
The if Tanner plays comment along with the trust in both QB's was interesting.
On if Tanner plays, it means that the staff is fully in on letting Zack play without having to look over his shoulder wondering if he's going to be pulled. Can't have QB playing in fear of making a mistake.
The trusting each is also good as I don't believe the staff had any trust in either guy last year and the play calling along with the results showed that.

No, just no. Fate doesn't conspire against them, they've just been pretty bad except for a handful of seasons since they finished 3rd in the Big Ten in 1973! There is no reason to follow the Gophers, let alone buy Season Tickets, if it means you need to have a sense of dread before every damn game!

Wyoming started a Freshman against NMSU last night and did pretty well. Pretty confident that Fleck and that Offensive Line will be able to protect ZA and give Rodney some holes to get upfield.

If we're giving up to the Aggies already what's the point?

I didn't say I was giving up, or had a sense of dread. It was a light-hearted comment about over-enthusiastic fans often winding up being disappointed. Given a choice, I would rather anticipate a close game, and get a blowout, as opposed to anticipating a blowout and getting a close game.

Maybe it's just my nature, but when people start saying "the Gophers should win easily," those are the games that worry me the most. It's like tempting fate. And fate is saying "Oh no, those Gopher fans are at it again. I guess it's time to teach the I have nevm another lesson......."

SON, we should have learned sooooooo many lessons! I remember being at Mason's last game in Tempe, in the 2nd deck of the south grandstand. It was near 1/2 time and a lady said to me, "why are concerned? Minnesota has this game won." I briefly explained to her that we could easily lose the game because we had some very stupid coaches. OK, they weren't all stupid, but their play calling was idiotic at times, especially with leads. Any Gopher fan that needs aother lesson about overconfidence is a very slow learner.

Top Bottom