Quarterback woes vs. 'Quarterback Whisperer': StarTrib

Iceland12

Reaction score
The Gophers haven’t had an All-America QB since Sandy Stephens in 1961. Decades passed between their last three All-Big Ten QB selections — Tony Dungy (1976), Rickey Foggie (1987) and Adam Weber (2008). They haven’t had a quarterback picked in the NFL draft since Craig Curry in 1972.

Doesn’t that checklist make recruiting quarterbacks difficult, leaving a hard cycle to change?

“I look at it the other way,” said Ciarrocca, the team’s raspy-voiced offensive coordinator. “We talk openly about the quarterback history here, and what an unbelievable opportunity it is to be the one who leads us to a Rose Bowl. They’ll be legendary. They’ll be building statues of them.”

That was part of Fleck and Ciarrocca’s pitch to Zack Annexstad last year, when they recruited him from the IMG Academy in Florida.

Annexstad had scholarship offers from Pittsburgh and Illinois but walked on at Minnesota, where he edged out redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan for the starting job.

If Annexstad, Morgan or one of the current high school seniors who’ve committed to the Gophers — Eden Prairie’s Cole Kramer or Texas native Jacob Clark — blossoms into an all-conference player, it won’t be the first time for Ciarrocca.

At Delaware, he developed Joe Flacco into a future Super Bowl MVP, and quietly molded Andy Hall into a 2004 sixth-round pick by Philadelphia. At Rutgers, Ciarrocca coached Tom Savage, an eventual 2014 fourth-round pick by Houston. At Western Michigan, Ciarrocca turned a little-known recruit, Zach Terrell, into a three-time All-Mid-American Conference selection who had 33 touchdown passes and four interceptions as a senior.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned is elite quarterbacks come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, packages and skill sets,” Ciarrocca said. “Because those guys were all great young men, but they couldn’t have been more different.”...

Since Foggie, the Gophers have had some solid if unspectacular quarterbacks. Glen Mason coached Bryan Cupito and Asad Abdul-Khaliq, who rank first and second, respectively, among the Gophers’ all-time leaders in touchdown-to-interception ratio. Mason also recruited Weber and redshirted him in 2006 before getting fired that winter.

Weber started every game the next four years under Tim Brewster. As a sophomore in 2008, the Mounds View grad ranked among the nation’s completion percentage leaders as the Gophers started 7-1. But the team’s play deteriorated from there, with Weber unable to keep Brewster’s sinking program afloat.

“Not to cry in my milk, but when we signed Adam Weber, there was no doubt in my mind we had finally gotten the quarterback that would take our offense to the next level,” Mason said. “When you think about our power running game, if you would have thrown the ability to run effective option, we really could have been something.”

http://www.startribune.com/quarterb...ugly-past-meets-optimistic-present/491722731/

Decades passed between their last three All-Big Ten QB selections — Tony Dungy (1976), Rickey Foggie (1987) and Adam Weber (2008).

Perhaps it's just me, but the quoted sentence is misleading. When someone says that a player was the All Big Ten QB, they are talking first-team All Big Ten. None of these three were first-team All Big Ten.

Perhaps it's just me, but the quoted sentence is misleading. When someone says that a player was the All Big Ten QB, they are talking first-team All Big Ten. None of these three were first-team All Big Ten.

Nah, it's just you. Not a surprise though. It's what you do.

I believe All BigTen has three tiers: first, second, third team. I can see Foggie and Weber on those lists at least one season, Dungy I don't know enough about.

Doesn’t that checklist make recruiting quarterbacks difficult, leaving a hard cycle to change?

“I look at it the other way,” said Ciarrocca, the team’s raspy-voiced offensive coordinator. “We talk openly about the quarterback history here, and what an unbelievable opportunity it is to be the one who leads us to a Rose Bowl. They’ll be legendary. They’ll be building statues of them.”

I went to the U of South Carolina as a grad student. They have had the same problem at QB and I recall that a coach named Jim Washburn recruited a hot shot QB named Todd Ellis using the same argument ("there has never been a great Gamecock QB.") and it worked. That was 1985 but they are still looking for that QB too. Maybe some places are snake bit in terms of QBs. I have been a fan since 1971 and I'm still waiting for a Gopher QB emerge as a star. But I can still hope.

Other than a short time under Wacker, the Gophers have never run an "air-it-out" offense. If you're a hot-shot QB recruit, you want to go to a school that throws the ball, throws it a lot, and throws it with success. That does not describe the Gophers. The Gophers have had adequate QB's who played well within the offense. (Cupito, Abdul-Kahliq, etc). They were just asked to do different things.

And, like it or not, MN is a northern school, and people have this idea that we occasionally have bad weather here. (I don't know what gave them that idea....)

Add it all up, and it's really not that shocking that the U of MN is not Quarterback U.

Until the day when the Gophers commit to running an air-raid offense, they are not going to land big-time QB recruits. Now, it's possible they might get lucky and land some under-the-radar guy who develops into an outstanding QB. But again, that QB will have to be given the opportunity to throw the ball - not hand it off 40+ times a game to tailback #1 and Tailback #2, with the occasional dump-off pass, quick hitch or curl to the TE.

The Gophers have had a number of very good RB's. Because they emphasize the run. What a coincidence.

Other than a short time under Wacker, the Gophers have never run an "air-it-out" offense. If you're a hot-shot QB recruit, you want to go to a school that throws the ball, throws it a lot, and throws it with success. That does not describe the Gophers. The Gophers have had adequate QB's who played well within the offense. (Cupito, Abdul-Kahliq, etc). They were just asked to do different things.

And, like it or not, MN is a northern school, and people have this idea that we occasionally have bad weather here. (I don't know what gave them that idea....)

Add it all up, and it's really not that shocking that the U of MN is not Quarterback U.

Until the day when the Gophers commit to running an air-raid offense, they are not going to land big-time QB recruits. Now, it's possible they might get lucky and land some under-the-radar guy who develops into an outstanding QB. But again, that QB will have to be given the opportunity to throw the ball - not hand it off 40+ times a game to tailback #1 and Tailback #2, with the occasional dump-off pass, quick hitch or curl to the TE.

The Gophers have had a number of very good RB's. Because they emphasize the run. What a coincidence.

Mike Hohensee

Mike Hohensee

Yep and Cory Sauter too. Then Mason and his one year O.C. made Sauter run the option. Mason has said that was one of his worst decisions as a Head Coach.

Yep and Cory Sauter too. Then Mason and his one year O.C. made Sauter run the option. Mason has said that was one of his worst decisions as a Head Coach.

This bothered me a lot back then.
It just didn't make any sense. I thought at first it was just a wrinkle to throw teams off, then I thought the OC would watch game film and change the plan after a week or two.
Nope.
Cory Sauter, option QB.
Painful.

Elliot Uzelac was not a good fit at all. I hated his play calling...

Top Bottom