New Mexico State Hosts Wyoming Tonight

Iceland12

Reaction score
Take a look at the team the Gophers will be playing Thursday night. It's on ESPN2. Actually, a couple of potentially decent games on TV. Oh hell, at least they count and signals that College Football Season is back!:drink:

Hawaii at Colorado State 6:30 pm CBSSN / CBSSN Video
Wyoming at New Mexico State 9:00 pm ESPN2 / WatchESPN Video

Will be interesting to see how this game plays out. New Mexico has a chance to learn from its mistakes tonight. Should be a good test for the Gophers.

Wyoming is a power, run up the middle, play action pass offense. They’re going to put a pounding physically on NM St’s defense. They’re run by former ND St head coach Craig Bohl.

I’ll definitely catch some of this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming has outstanding defense. With 9:19 in the 2nd Qtr, they have not allowed an Aggies 1st down!

They will kill NMSU with play action and RUTM.

The Gophers defense better good against the Aggies. It is really important for the Gophers offense to crank up the passing game to augment Rodney Smith's running attack.

Last edited:

Wyoming has outstanding defense. With 9:19 in the 2nd Qtr, they have not allowed an Aggies 1st down!

They will kill NMSU with play action and RUTM.

The Gophers defense better good against the Aggies. It is really important for the Gophers offense to crank up the passing game to augment Rodney Smith's running attack.

Up 2 scores and no first downs for the other team.

Yeah I'll ok some RUTM and generic play action the rest of the game.

3:41 and still no 1st downs, -11 yards offense.

NMSU's defense is somehow keeping them in this game. Reminds me of some Kill era moments.

Half-time stats: Score 15-0. 119 to 8 yds 1st half. NMSU only had 1 1st down.

Was Craig Bohl considered for being the Gopher's head coach after Claeys was fired?

Half-time stats: Score 15-0. 119 to 8 yds 1st half. NMSU only had 1 1st down.

And that first down was in the last 20 seconds. Wyoming pretty much let them run for it.

Was Craig Bohl considered for being the Gopher's head coach after Claeys was fired?

IIRC he had a pretty expensive buyout at Wyoming. I think he signed that deal intending to stay a while.

I am glad we have Coach Fleck but I wouldn’t have been disappointed if we hired Coach Bohl.

Bohl would have been familiar with recruiting Minnesota as well from his time at NDSU.

It was smart for Wyoming to lock him in with a huge buyout in exchange for a nice incentive laden contract. I think Mark Coyle was keen on the youth movement. But, it would be an intriguing thought if Craig Bohls had become the Gophers coach.

https://gowyo.com/news/2016/12/2/58422995e4b06c8a32d883be_131478132425916125.aspx?path=football

I was also wondering how he would be doing with the Gophers. He's already had a highly drafted QB, something that seems impossible for Gopher QB's, but then I would guess that some former Gophers coaches have had QB's drafted, before they took the Gopher job. Anyway I have high hopes for Fleck. Go Gophers!

I was also wondering how he would be doing with the Gophers. He's already had a highly drafted QB, something that seems impossible for Gopher QB's, but then I would guess that some former Gophers coaches have had QB's drafted, before they took the Gopher job. Anyway I have high hopes for Fleck. Go Gophers!

I'll give him a high five for the QB.... but let's see lighting strike twice before we're sure he can do that thing reliably, or if it was some thing else.

I don't think he would have been a bad choice, I'm just not as sure as some folks seem to be that it would have worked out, or had a high chance of it....

Last edited:

He failed to win more than 8 games with Josh Allen.

I'll give him a high five for the QB.... but let's see lighting strike twice before we're sure he can do that thing reliably, or if it was some thing else.

I don't think he would have been a bad choice, I'm just not as sure as some folks seem to be that it would have worked out, or had a high chance of it....

Already struck twice
Carson Wentz
Josh Allen
Both Bohl recruits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought it was just stupid for the NMSU coach to yank his QB. I watched the uncharted videos and it was obvious from them who their QB should be. No way you were coming back to win this game, it’s obvious to me in my living room watching a few videos and live play Romero should be there starter. He’s way better than that other QB, who is awful. Stupid move coach, let your young guy get experience and grow.

MN chose well in NM State, should be an easy win.

Bohl’s best QB he recruited at NDSU was Brock Jensen who has the most wins as starting QB in DI FCS (AA) history, and had a 2 year stint in the CFL with a few starts. Wentz spend 3years watching him play. Wentz will be a better pro, but his college career was well short of Jensen’s 48 wins and 3 rings.

Last edited:

Already struck twice
Carson Wentz
Josh Allen
Both Bohl recruits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he meant, let's see if it strikes twice at Wyoming.
NDSU is such a football power that recruiting superior athletes there isn't even recruiting. It's just accepting your favorites from those who want to come there.

/sacrcasmfont

After Wyoming won 39-7 in New Mexico, it's hard not to expect a home field blow out this week. As nice as it will be for the frosh to get acclimated, I was hoping for stiffer competition before Fresno.

After Wyoming won 39-7 in New Mexico, it's hard not to expect a home field blow out this week. As nice as it will be for the frosh to get acclimated, I was hoping for stiffer competition before Fresno.

Sounds like a jinx. Be careful what you wish for.

Not to nitpick, but it was 29-7.

Wyoming dominated from the opening bell. NMSU didn't have a first down until about 30 seconds before half. Wyoming should have scored more and put the game away earlier, but their defense was something NMSU couldn't solve.

That all said, I bet NMSU looks much better against us. I'm worried about this game.

Top Bottom