Chad Courrier: Starting this soon is risky for Gophers' Annexstad

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

It's quite an accomplishment for Annexstad. It also could end up being the worst thing for his future.

True freshmen shouldn't play at Division I programs. Those 18-year-olds should get a year to adjust to college life and top-level athletics, usually needing to get stronger and more mature to stand up to the rigors of year-round training and games. It's the same reasons that eighth-graders rarely start on varsity in the more powerful high-school programs.

Putting these young men into games, especially at the quarterback position, isn't fair to the player, who certainly isn't going to tell a coach that he doesn't want to play.

Annexstad will do the work, and he clearly is serious about football. But he's sacrificing a year of growth to help a program that hasn't been able to recruit or develop a game-ready quarterback. That's on the coaching staff, even if they have only been in place for a short time.

Annexstad may turn out to be the Gophers' long-term answer at quarterback, but he's going to struggle at some point this season. Hopefully, he doesn't get injured, though few college quarterbacks make it through the season completely healthy.

Three years from now, he's probably going to wish he had this season to be more prepared, physically and mentally. Even at Minnesota State, it's rare that a true freshman plays anymore, especially at quarterback.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...cle_3c265d4a-a791-11e8-993a-cbc2d859ad2b.html

Go Gophers!!

With negativity like this, Chad should be writing for one of the metro rags quite soon I would think.

IMG Academy is no ordinary HS. They played against high echelon teams.

Regardless of who PJ Fleck starts, they have zero collegiate experience. He had to decide, and I think he made a very fine choice. I'd be happy with either of them starting.

This is no Philip Nelson situation. Morgan and Annexstad appears to be very positive and mature.

Not playing your best option at QB is even riskier.

This guy is a Reusse wannabe. He’s a Fleck critic on twitter as well. Some of it is fair but it does seem he has an agenda.

This guy obviously wasn’t an athlete and has no clue about athletes. Tell the head coaches of Oklahoma, Georgia, and Alabama that true freshman shouldn’t play. Both QB’s in the National Championship game last year were true freshman. What an absolute a$$ clown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell the head coaches of Oklahoma, Georgia, and Alabama that true freshman shouldn’t play. Both QB’s in the National Championship game last year were true freshman.

Not wrong, but also completely glosses over that an Alabama & Georgia true freshman might be just a little bit different than a Minnesota true freshman. But, he (the author) didn't make that distinction, so you're not wrong.

Last edited:

Thing is this: we can technically still redshirt ZA this year so long as he doesn't play in more than 4 games.

I'm not advocating for ZA to be redshirted. If him being the starter and playing most of the games this year gives us the best chance to win this year, then that's what should be done.

But if it isn't working out like they thought it would, after the non-conf schedule is completed .... I think they must, and absolutely will, give some hard though to "saving" him the rest of the season (with one additional game allowed), barring injury of course.

Thing is this: we can technically still redshirt ZA this year so long as he doesn't play in more than 4 games.

I'm not advocating for ZA to be redshirted. If him being the starter and playing most of the games this year gives us the best chance to win this year, then that's what should be done.

But if it isn't working out like they thought it would, after the non-conf schedule is completed .... I think they must, and absolutely will, give some hard though to "saving" him the rest of the season (with one additional game allowed), barring injury of course.

Your takes on ZA are so bizarre.

Let me know which part of what I just said is bizarre to you. I'm sure I can explain it so it doesn't seem that way.

Year zero for Zach. If he lights up the Big Ten it will be a pleasant surprise. If he struggles there’s always next year. My relatively safe prediction is there will be some angst at times this year. I’m not putting totally unreasonable expectations on a young guy with a still-developing offense. If he can keep the TD/INT ratio around or slightly better than 1:1, completion percentage 55+%, not take bad sacks/throw it away, create with his legs that’s a plus going into 2019.

I’m more worried about the defense being any good. That’s more the foundation of a winning team.

This guy obviously wasn’t an athlete and has no clue about athletes. Tell the head coaches of Oklahoma, Georgia, and Alabama that true freshman shouldn’t play. Both QB’s in the National Championship game last year were true freshman. What an absolute a$$ clown.

Also tell Frost at Nebraska. Reports are he is still trying to decide between a true vs. RS freshman QB starter.

The only way that I see ZA being red-shirted is if he totally tanked or a season ending injury.

He is going to make mistakes which will provide more valuable lessons. PJ Fleck said the team will learn from failures. ZA is not on a short leash.

Last edited:

If you 'red-shirt' a QB, that means you want him to have four full years of eligibility remaining. But, at the same time, you're also trying to recruit a new QB with each recruiting class - and ideally, the new QB would be just as good or better than the incumbent QB.

What does it mean - that in most situations, you are not going to see one QB start every game for 4 years. Due to injuries, or getting beat out by a better player, a 4-year QB is extremely rare. So, worrying about red-shirts and preserving eligibility is probably over-done.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed in life - or in coaching. All you are guaranteed is today. So, whichever QB gives the team the best chance to win TODAY is the QB who should start. If you make too many decisions based on what might happen next year, you may miss out on what you need right now.

Having said that, both QB's will play this year - either due to injury or on-field struggles.

The odds of Annexstad taking every snap this season are really low. don't wish anything bad on the young man, just stating the obvious.

I believe the 2nd string QB at IMG last year is starting as a true freshman at Rutgers this year.

per Chad:
It's quite an accomplishment for Annexstad. It also could end up being the worst thing for his future. True freshmen shouldn't play at Division I programs... blah blah
Let me get this straight: this writer posts an uneducated, negative article on Annexstad starting this year and you felt it was good to post it? The result is forum users will prove his words garbage. Another result is many will click the link to the article of this garbage story which promotes this "Chad" person's story, which is good for him and his news agency. You have just helped encourage him to write more garbage. We have enough Reusse's.

If you 'red-shirt' a QB, that means you want him to have four full years of eligibility remaining. But, at the same time, you're also trying to recruit a new QB with each recruiting class - and ideally, the new QB would be just as good or better than the incumbent QB.

What does it mean - that in most situations, you are not going to see one QB start every game for 4 years. Due to injuries, or getting beat out by a better player, a 4-year QB is extremely rare. So, worrying about red-shirts and preserving eligibility is probably over-done.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed in life - or in coaching. All you are guaranteed is today. So, whichever QB gives the team the best chance to win TODAY is the QB who should start. If you make too many decisions based on what might happen next year, you may miss out on what you need right now.

Having said that, both QB's will play this year - either due to injury or on-field struggles.

The odds of Annexstad taking every snap this season are really low. don't wish anything bad on the young man, just stating the obvious.

Yes.

Agreed SON. Have to know what TM brings to the table, at a bare minimum. Give him a meaningful series or two in the first half or early second half of NM St game.

Let me get this straight: this writer posts an uneducated, negative article on Annexstad starting this year and you felt it was good to post it? The result is forum users will prove his words garbage. Another result is many will click the link to the article of this garbage story which promotes this "Chad" person's story, which is good for him and his news agency. You have just helped encourage him to write more garbage. We have enough Reusse's.

Leave Bleed alone. He posts articles about the Gophers that most of us would not see without his post. He is just trying to keep us up on what is being written about the Gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is correct, and not consistent with a coaching philosophy we heard last year.

I agree.

We come to this forum to find out about news and information about the Gophers and noteworthy football tidbits. We may not all agree or like what we read.

But, there are lots of exciting stuff and discussions here (sometimes very passionate). Like the commitment announcements and about the recruitment of certain players like Max Duggan and Rashod Bateman.

We lost out on Duggan. But, I can see where we were so close. PJ Fleck was very heavily invested in his recruiting. Gary Patterson and Sonny Cumbie came out of nowhere and sweet-talked Duggan to the "everybody knows everybody"- a small town feeling gimmick down in TCU.

Duggan rather compete against five other QBs than being the sure starter with the Gophers. Two of them are high 4-Stars: 2018 Justin Rogers (0.9772), and 2017 Shawn Robinson (0.9222).

It's also more likely than not to make zero difference.

Most college QBs have no football career outside of college so what happens as far as "career" goes ... probabbly doesn't matter.

Year zero for Zach. If he lights up the Big Ten it will be a pleasant surprise. If he struggles there’s always next year. My relatively safe prediction is there will be some angst at times this year. I’m not putting totally unreasonable expectations on a young guy with a still-developing offense. If he can keep the TD/INT ratio around or slightly better than 1:1, completion percentage 55+%, not take bad sacks/throw it away, create with his legs that’s a plus going into 2019.

I’m more worried about the defense being any good. That’s more the foundation of a winning team.

Dear Pompous (love the monicker BTW), agree on the importance of the D. Concerning the success and estimated career of frosh QB, the O-line is vital. Our O-line is young but has anyone formed an opinion on how well and rapidly they are coming together as a unit? This is probably a critical area where coaching can be decisive.

This ^^^^^^

Thanks Son for your comments. Also to Bleed for finding this story. Super thanks to both of you.

Dear Pompous (love the monicker BTW), agree on the importance of the D. Concerning the success and estimated career of frosh QB, the O-line is vital. Our O-line is young but has anyone formed an opinion on how well and rapidly they are coming together as a unit? This is probably a critical area where coaching can be decisive.

Not that I've seen, but I seem to miss a lot of the reports. Chances are we'll be better considering who's coming back and coming up, year older yada yada but nope, no idea. Last year wasn't so good and led to some of the problems IMO. Agree with you this is the ultimate team game.

I believe the 2nd string QB at IMG last year is starting as a true freshman at Rutgers this year.

Correct. Sitkowski is listed ahead of that Giovanni {can’t remember last name} kid on the depth chart. At IMG, he completed completed 45-of-79 passes for 370 yards and two touchdowns as a senior in seven games while rushing for two TDS.

The comparison to 8th graders made me laugh. So ridiculous.

I love to read Some Day's responses when someone questions Fleck. I agree with him on this one, but it is the same passion I have if someone were to say something bad about my wife.

How often do you see quarterbacks play for four years in college? Even more curious, how often do you see true freshmen start? The opinion piece by Kyle Allen of ESPN looks at an increasing trend.

In the Gophers' case, it is out of necessity. They only have two options - a PWO freshman or a RS freshman.

For PJ Fleck, he needed to decide on the QB he thinks will best position the team to win. And, IMHO he needs to have true competition each Spring. In the 2018 campaign, he only has two choices and he is very decisive on picking ZA. Pick one and run with it if they are that close in the evaluations. That doesn't mean that TM is out of the picture although he realizes he needs to develops his QBs fast. The leash will be shorten very quickly if ZA falters miserably. I don't think it will, and I hope that doesn't happen. The thing to fear is season ending injuries.

ESPN: The Rise of the True Freshman Quarterback:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23396659/the-rise-true-freshman-qb

Last edited:

Top Bottom