Previous Gopher staff said Annexstad brothers were “North Dakota State-type players”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ya, maybe Zack can go into Iowa and win. We’ll see.

This story doesn't make sense. When have we last played NDSU? Was Zack in about 5th grade then? Am I missing something? This guy was alreaady recruiting them that young? I think Coach Rich is confused...or maybe I am.

This story doesn't make sense. When have we last played NDSU? Was Zack in about 5th grade then? Am I missing something? This guy was alreaady recruiting them that young? I think Coach Rich is confused...or maybe I am.
Definitely thinking the same thing here...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Maybe Claeys? Year zero didn’t count, right?

If you read beyond the headline grabber, he goes on to say it was a sarcastic remark to highlight the good players that end up at NDSU that are ignored by the U of M. He knows we did not lose to them a couple years ago.

Pure fantasy. The "old" staff did not say this.

Zack didn’t even enroll at IMG until he was a junior right? That would have been Claeys’ only year as head coach. Nice that he throws Coach Kill under the bus for no good reason. The guy sounds like a punk. How many schools were on Zack Annexstad his junior year??? Moreover, let’s see if his brother ever contributes in any meaningful way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he meant Mason.

Comsidering he had next to no game tape and few offers until a third of the way through his senior season I wouldn’t get too excited about it. It’s a nice story so far but don't muck it up before he’s proven a thing.

By the way ... if it were actually true, would he really feel the need to literally say "True story" as the first line in the tweet???

What exactly is his motive for bashing the old staff with this nonsense?. Just don't see a reason for it at this point.

I am going to take this as gospel. And I'm shocked the previous staff(s) were this bad at evaluating talent.

Zack didn’t even enroll at IMG until he was a junior right? That would have been Claeys’ only year as head coach. Nice that he throws Coach Kill under the bus for no good reason. The guy sounds like a punk. How many schools were on Zack Annexstad his junior year??? Moreover, let’s see if his brother ever contributes in any meaningful way.

Yea, the junior year where he almost Beat out a 5 ⭐️ QB at a football academy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I think it's possible. He did come back and say (in his Twitter feed) that his timing was wrong about saying NDSU had beat them "last year" but he stood by his story. He's been offensive coordinator at IMG since June 2015 so he could have told Claey's staff about the brothers in 2016, Zach's first year there.

Bash the previous staff all you want, they were better than any staff in Gopher football history over their first 6 years dating back to Bernie Bierman.

Both staffs thought the players were NDSU recruits.

PJ could have offered Brock at WMU.
PJ could have offered Zack here.

No need to bash the previous staff. Their record spells out exactly what they accomplished.

Bartel, as mentioned is the Offensive Coordinator at IMG.

He's trying to say "We took two kids with lower class talent and made them players for a Big Ten school ! While taking a shot at the previous regime and sucking-up to the present one.

Mr. Bartel tried to be an NFL player starting in '07. He tried that for 5 years. Finally got into a game in December of 2010 and then again in one in January 2011. Even got to throw his only NFL TD in that one. Shoulder injury ended his career before lack of talent did. Ended with a 2 game career and QB Rating of 55.1

On January 29, 2015, after stints at Plano Prestonwood and Argyle Liberty Christian School, he was hired as the football head coach for Southwest Christian High School in Fort Worth. In June 2015, he left to become the football offensive coordinator at IMG Academy.

Guessing his next stop will be QB Coach at Braham.

Though like what they did for Zach.

Hmmm... sometimes being a "bleep" can be fun.

He’s now the OC at a small private school that plays FCS (I-AA) football in the northeast Patriot League.

Maybe he wanted an interview and the OC job with Claeys and thought he could dangle Zack and Brock to help seal the deal, but Claeys didn’t want him so he’s biter.

Stories across the nation I'm sure. Hit and miss sometimes.

It is interesting that a HS coach will reach out to a college coach to let them know about their player(s). Is that how PJ Fleck wound up hearing about the Annexstad boys?

I guess it doesn't matter how as long as we can establish a pipeline to IMG Academy.

From what I heard Verdis Brown would've loved to join Faalele, Dunlop, and the Annexstads. But, they had no scholies available.

Is it all PJ Fleck selling the Gopher football program on his recruiting visit(s), or did Zack Annexstad have a hand in recruiting too?

At every school there are these "OMG THE LAST STAFF" stories.... I suspect most / all are BS.

I think it's possible. He did come back and say (in his Twitter feed) that his timing was wrong about saying NDSU had beat them "last year" but he stood by his story. He's been offensive coordinator at IMG since June 2015 so he could have told Claey's staff about the brothers in 2016, Zach's first year there.

Also possible that his "OMG I KNEW THIS GUY WAS GREAT" story is pure BS.... we'll see if he tells this story anymore if Zack doesn't pan out...

Last edited:

Also possible that his "OMG I KNEW THIS GUY WAS GREAT" story is pure BS.... we'll see if he tells this story anymore if Zack doesn't pan out...

Yep, that's possible too. I will say that I live in Bradenton about 5 miles from IMG and Bartel was pretty well liked and respected from what I heard, so who knows. As an aside, you should see the stadium and facilities at IMG. WOW. Standard tuition is about $60k. Don't know how financial aid works or helps.

This guy seems like he could be BFFs with Tom Herman and Zach Smith.

Top Bottom