Nebraska down to 11 scholarship offensive lineman

Looks like they've gotten a lot younger in a hurry...

This can't be right, since Frost said this wasn't a rebuilding year. :confused:

So if they lose 7 more they will have the same amount we had last spring...

Well I bet they’re pretty concerned. I mean last I checked 11 is more than 5 ... but you just don’t know these days.

This can't be right, since Frost said this wasn't a rebuilding year. :confused:

Headline should have been included and people should have read the link:

Offensive lineman Jalin Barnett leaves Huskers after fifth concussion suffered at Nebraska

O-line coach Greg Austin confirmed the news following Wednesday's practice. The assistant said Barnett made the decision last week after suffering his fifth concussion as a college player. Barnett ranked second-highest among members of Nebraska's 2015 recruiting class.

"He's done a great job for us," Austin said. "He really improved his game since we arrived and (we were) really counting on him to get some quality depth and some quality backup reps. But when you sustain those (concussions) too many times, you kind of start thinking about it. And he decided it was in his best interest to step away at this point in time."

Maybe someday, Gopher fans will actually believe the Gophers are capable of beating another team when that team is at full strength - instead of always hoping that the other team will have key injuries or suspensions.

The next time the Gophers beat Wisconsin, I want Wisconsin to have all 22 starters healthy - so there are no excuses when they lose. That will make the loss sting worse.

Yup, SON, hate these schadenfreude threads. Don’t care about other teams’ losses or injuries.

Maybe someday, Gopher fans will actually believe the Gophers are capable of beating another team when that team is at full strength - instead of always hoping that the other team will have key injuries or suspensions.

The next time the Gophers beat Wisconsin, I want Wisconsin to have all 22 starters healthy - so there are no excuses when they lose. That will make the loss sting worse.

I don't think anyone was 'hoping' for Nebraska to have injuries or suspensions in this thread.

Do you remember how healthy wisconsin was when we beat them in 2003? I don't and I don't care.

Of course, all things equal I'd rather beat a team at full strength but I'd rather beat an injured wisconsin team for the Axe than lose to a healthy team.

Yup, SON, hate these schadenfreude threads. Don’t care about other teams’ losses or injuries.

Do you need us to call 911?? Obviously someone has a gun to your head, making you open the thread, and post in it

Maybe I'm dead wrong - but when I see one of these threads where it's all about "Team X lost a key player" or "Team Y lost a key player," I see a sub-text that translates to - "now the Gophers have a better chance of beating Team X or Team Y because they'll be weaker without the injured player."

And again - I would love to see a day when the Gopher fans - and presumably the Gopher players - have the attitude that "I don't give a bleep who is playing for Team X - we're going to beat them." "We're the bleeping Gophers - we don't need any help to win. We don't need a mulligan to win. We don't need to have their best player out of the lineup to win." "We're the bleeping Gophers and we're going to kick your bleeping butts."

I think winning teams have that attitude. Does this year's Gopher team have that attitude? We'll find out.

We've got a lot more to worry than other teams. Every team has injuries. The difference is good team depth that the Gophers lack previously.

I am glad that the Gophers are aggressively trying to get quality players both on scholarship and on PWO. In the past, when they get highly rated players that don't pan out for one reason or another it really hurts the program because we don't have many of them.

Information about other B1G teams isn't an opportunity to say MN has a better chance to win. It is a way to glimpse the bigger picture of the conference. The stories out of Maryland, OSU, and WI are national level and affect the conference as a whole. If players are leaving Nebraska left and right, I am more curious about why or what the bigger story is if there is one.

I'm not wringing my hands saying "yes, without their 3rd string LB, the Gophers will be able exploit that weakness and dominate!"

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I agree with what you're saying but the odds of us being completely healthy and Wisconsin being completely healthy, especially in late November are nill

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm dead wrong - but when I see one of these threads where it's all about "Team X lost a key player" or "Team Y lost a key player," I see a sub-text that translates to - "now the Gophers have a better chance of beating Team X or Team Y because they'll be weaker without the injured player."

And again - I would love to see a day when the Gopher fans - and presumably the Gopher players - have the attitude that "I don't give a bleep who is playing for Team X - we're going to beat them." "We're the bleeping Gophers - we don't need any help to win. We don't need a mulligan to win. We don't need to have their best player out of the lineup to win." "We're the bleeping Gophers and we're going to kick your bleeping butts."

I think winning teams have that attitude. Does this year's Gopher team have that attitude? We'll find out.

I can be a good fan of the gophers AND enjoying hearing when something bad happens to the badger or the hawkeye. The other teams that I don't hate for hate's sake, less interested in kicking while they are down. On the plus side, being apprised on other teams dealing with injuries/suspensions/etc... makes me less likely to feel like the gophers are specifically targeted by providence for misery when those things happen to us.

Just wondering ..... how does it get to the point where you actually take pleasure in another team's players getting injured? Or getting charged with sexually assaulting someone?

I take no pleasure in that, regardless what team it is, and doubt I ever will.

Don't get me wrong, I take very much pleasure in defeating another team, especially certain teams. But taking pleasure in the above stuff??

Just wondering ..... how does it get to the point where you actually take pleasure in another team's players getting injured? Or getting charged with sexually assaulting someone?

Don't get me wrong, I take very much pleasure in defeating another team, especially certain teams. But taking pleasure in the above stuff??

Good people don't take pleasure in other people's misfortune. I said I was a good fan, not a good person. I've already built my own wing in hell. A little malicious hate towards the badgers isn't going to significantly add to the weight of my sins.

Appreciate the honesty. But I’m still wondering ... how does it get to that point?? I’m assuming you didn’t start out that way?

Appreciate the honesty. But I’m still wondering ... how does it get to that point?? I’m assuming you didn’t start out that way?

Take a road trip to Wisconsin for a gopher game a few times and interact with their fans before and after the game. All will be made clear.

Information about other B1G teams isn't an opportunity to say MN has a better chance to win. It is a way to glimpse the bigger picture of the conference. The stories out of Maryland, OSU, and WI are national level and affect the conference as a whole. If players are leaving Nebraska left and right, I am more curious about why or what the bigger story is if there is one.

I'm not wringing my hands saying "yes, without their 3rd string LB, the Gophers will be able exploit that weakness and dominate!"

Exactly this.

The German's have a word for it. Schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Personally view O.P. like these as a much needed reminder that it's not only teams in Minnesota that suffer injuries, transfers (free agents) or suspensions. The first responses to this thread seem to confirm that. Ignoring the kid's terrible trouble with concussions to focus on how it would or wouldn't effect the Gophers.

Doubt that most people get satisfaction from the misfortune of people that they've never heard of, though tv, newspapers and the internet are full of people that do.

Oh and count me among those who don't give a tinker's damn on how they beat the Badgers or how well Wisconsin is doing at the time.

1993 was far too long ago to care about that either.

Agreed. I think it also helps mitigate or level-set the "whoa are us" mentality that it's always worse for the Gophs (injuries, inexperience, off field, etc...) and that Gophs never improve as much as our opponents.

It's amazing that some on here still don't get swingman's bit. This year Nebraska is 'down to 11 scholarship offensive lineman', but when the Gophers had a similar number last year, swingman went on and on about how deep and talented we were. Rinse and repeat for all of swingman's posts.

Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Personally view O.P. like these as a much needed reminder that it's not only teams in Minnesota that suffer injuries, transfers (free agents) or suspensions. The first responses to this thread seem to confirm that. Ignoring the kid's terrible trouble with concussions to focus on how it would or wouldn't effect the Gophers.

Doubt that most people get satisfaction from the misfortune of people that they've never heard of, though tv, newspapers and the internet are full of people that do.

I'm struggling to summarize the punchline of your post ... but my best guess is: Gopherhole'ers take pleasure in knowing other Big Ten suffer as much as Minnesota does.

Must be a good view from that high horse

It's amazing that some on here still don't get swingman's bit. This year Nebraska is 'down to 11 scholarship offensive lineman', but when the Gophers had a similar number last year, swingman went on and on about how deep and talented we were. Rinse and repeat for all of swingman's posts.

This.

Swingman's posts read a lot like former poster Foggieguy. He was a major Jerry Kill advocate who hates Fleck. After Fleck was hired, he started posting the most passive aggressive posts listing the flaws of other teams and all the great qualities of the Gophers.

Many viewed it as someone hopelessly optimistic and spreading sunshine about the Gophers. In reality, his sole purpose was to illustrate how other teams have flaws and how Fleck's "excuses" aren't legitimate. That way, when the team inevitably doesn't live up to all of his feigned positivity, the problem must be the coach!

I think Swingman is Foggieguy's new username, and he's trying to get everyone to hate Fleck as much as he does.

Who is Gophers_4Life? They joined in June have been nothing but a contrarian and wet blanket on anything MN. Troll?

This is hilarious! SON, you have numerous post about how pessimistic you are about the Gophers, how everyone needs to not get to excited, you will believe it when you see it, etc... Now you aren’t even willing to take a win as being acceptable. It has to be against a full rostered opponent. I am sure that Sconny still counts those games they stoled from us as wins (blocked fg, etc..). We will be bringing home the axe soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom