Gaard w/Greder

swingman

Reaction score
Greder on with Gaard on Bumper to Bumper Tuesday...38 minutes in or so

Greder notes Annexstad as a junior almost beat out at IMG the guy who started for Texas A&M last year as a true frosh in 2017.

Says Annexstad has that rise to the moment ability.

Greder says Seth Green, Douglas, Bateman all have athletic ability to get separation, go up and get it. Will be good to complement Tyler Johnson.

Says Can't overstate importance of getting freshman AllAmerican Antoine Winfield.

Says OJ Smith looks good in middle.
Thinks Cashman should replace Celestin nicely.
Barber very good in middle.
Gary Moore maybe strongest guy on team.

Greder notes Gophers could find three Big Ten road games easier going with problems in Maryland, Ohio, Wisconsin.

Said it was interesting to note Frost bravado at Big Ten days in Chicago "You better get us now" comment.

I think he has the year mixed up. Looks like ZA didn’t play in 2016. But in 2017 he did replace the starter at IMG.

I think he has the year mixed up. Looks like ZA didn’t play in 2016. But in 2017 he did replace the starter at IMG.

In 2016, as a junior, Zack almost beat out the five star guy at IMG who went on to start for TAMU in 2017, Mond

In 2017, as a senior, Zack beat out the four star guy who was committed to Miami, Sitkowski.

Why Minnesota is starting a true freshman walk-on at quarterback

“In today’s world there are not a lot of quarterbacks that want to compete,” Annexstad’s coach at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy Kevin Wright told 247Sports on Monday evening. “Everyone wants the job handed to them, and when it’s not you see them transfer. That’s at the high school level, college level — that’s just common place. I think he knew it’s a marathon not a sprint.”

Wright said, after hearing the news that PJ Fleck indeed named him the starter, the football facility at IMG was buzzing all day Monday about Annexstad. From walk-on to Day 1 starter is certainly the road less traveled to being named QB1 at a Power Five school, but it’s the ultimate goal that Annexstad has been working towards for over two years, aiming to play at his father Scott’s alma mater.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Annexstad didn’t look much into scholarship opportunities from Cincinnati, Illinois, Pittsburgh and Western Kentucky. His plan was always to return to his home state and play for the Gophers. So with that, halfway through his high school career the Norseland, Minn. native sought the best competition available, opting to transfer from Mankato West where he was the starter to IMG Academy and it’s roster full of future Division-I players.

That summer all the way into the fall, Annexstad battled now-Texas A&M sophomore Kellen Mond for the starting gig and ended up starting the last game of the season. Then when Annexstad thought the job was finally going to be his heading into senior year, another touted quarterback in Artur Sitkowski (who could win the job at Rutgers in fall camp) transferred in and beat him out at the start of the season for the job.

“He’s used to competing,” Wright reiterated. “Zack is a guy that’s always had the mentality, 'I’m going to win the job.' Nothing else has really mattered. It’s not arrogance. It’s a confidence. He has a great personality. His teammates loved him. That’s one of the things we noticed here when he was in the game. He had a calming effect on his teammates and they really believed in him. They were always confident when he was in the game they were going to make things happen. That it factor is something that carries with you when you go to the next level. It doesn’t surprise me at all what he’s doing.”

When Annexstad beat out Sitkowski, Wright said he “never looked back.” He completed 63-of-112 passes for 10 touchdowns as IMG finished an undefeated season ranked No. 2 in the MaxPreps XCellent Top25. He had already accepted a preferred walk-on spot to Minnesota back in September, joining his older brother Brock who is now a red-shirt freshman. Pitt offered a scholarship in December but Annexstad was bought in to returning home.

Wright said his coaches and players loved Annexstad because of his approach and because, frankly, they knew his underdog mentality had several years of seasoning. Competing against Mond and Sitkowski, who had the scholarship offers from coast to coast, he continued to grind towards his own ambition.

“First and foremost, they’re getting a guy that knows how to lead,” Wright said. “He knows how to rally people around him and get the best out of those guys. That’s a trait. It’s hard to develop guys that want to lead. It’s hard to develop alphas around alphas. It takes a level-headed kid that exudes confidence and pulls people up. I think he’s tremendous leader and savvy kid who’s tough.”

247Sports ranked Annexstad as the nation’s No. 31 pro-style passer in the 2018 class. Wright says he has the traits to help second-year coach Fleck take this program where he wants to take it.

“I saw a picture of him (Monday) and his upper body has really developed,” Wright said. “He had a good frame to start with. He’s always been a tough kid. He can take shots, he stays in the pocket, really good at RPOs and processing. He’ll give them a chance and get them in the right play and know where the ball needs to go. He runs the ball well enough they can utilize him at times in the run game. I doubt they’ll make a living with it but he’s a big strong kid. He has that ability and I know Coach Fleck’s offense is pass first but he wants his quarterbacks to have some ability to run the football.

I think he’s a guy he’s able to make all the throws and more than anything he stands in the pocket and he can go through progressions and he processes. He has a good arm but he also has good touch on the ball. I think with Zack he makes a mistake doesn’t get down on himself and nothing rattles him which I think will be important as a true freshman.”

Read more at: https://247sports.com/Article/Why-M...ue-freshman-walk-on-at-quarterback-120882326/

Last edited:

In 2016, as a junior, Zack almost beat out the five star guy at IMG who went on to start for TAMU in 2017, Mond

In 2017, as a senior, Zack beat out the four star guy who was committed to Miami, Sitkowski.

I see. So as a junior, he almost beat the starter out so much ... that he didn’t play as a junior.

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1046

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended IMG Academy in Brandenton, Fla. • wore No. 18 for the Ascenders • as a senior, completed 63-of-112 passes for 940 yards and 10 touchdowns, as he helped lead IMG Academy to an undefeated season • finished career with 1,137 passing yards and 14 touchdowns • was the starting quarterback at Mankato West as a sophomore in 2015, but was sidelined by an ankle injury • three-star recruit by 247Sports • the No. 45 ranked pro-style quarterback and No. 214 overall recruit in Florida by 247Sports • enrolled at Minnesota in January 2018.

Note a complete lack of stats for junior year.

What does it mean to almost beat someone out??

I think the following quotes from IMG Head Coach Kevin Wright explains it well enough:

"That summer all the way into the fall, Annexstad battled now-Texas A&M sophomore Kellen Mond for the starting gig and ended up starting the last game of the season."

"Wright said his coaches and players loved Annexstad because of his approach and because, frankly, they knew his underdog mentality had several years of seasoning. Competing against Mond and Sitkowski, who had the scholarship offers from coast to coast, he continued to grind towards his own ambition."

Last edited:

I see. So as a junior, he almost beat the starter out so much ... that he didn’t play as a junior.

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1046

Note a complete lack of stats for junior year.

If he did beat him out he would have played. Almost beat him out means it was a close conpetition but he lost. That means he wasn’t significantly worse than a true freshman SEC starter when Zach was a junior. Let me know if you need me to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page about the facts — sounds like we are: he didn’t play as a junior. He also got beat out as a senior, by did get to play that year.

Call me anti-swingman. Checks and balances, people.

If he did beat him out he would have played. Almost beat him out means it was a close conpetition but he lost. That means he wasn’t significantly worse than a true freshman SEC starter when Zach was a junior. Let me know if you need me to keep going.

Come on now. I'm as intrigued by ZA as much as the next guy, but if I'm reading the coach's quotes correctly he never said he almost beat him out. Saying he "battled" and they "love him because of his approach" and that he "continues to grind towards his own ambition" doesn't exactly say that he almost beat out a 5* kid as a junior.

Having a pair of jacks in poker is not the same as almost having three of a kind.

When Zack was a junior the kid who beat him out was a senior at IMG, not an SEC true freshman starter. He played at IMG for a year, improved, signed with A&M, then became a starter at an SEC school.

Have we determined if Zack is good or not yet?

Have we determined if Zack is good or not yet?

Well he battled as a junior against a senior who rated 5* and went on to sign with Texas A&M. Then as a senior he battled against another senior, and eventually did get to play and did well.

So we know he’s a good battler.

Well he battled as a junior against a senior who rated 5* and went on to sign with Texas A&M. Then as a senior he battled against another senior, and eventually did get to play and did well.

So we know he’s a good battler.

And we also know for some unstated reason you don't like him much.

And we also know for some unstated reason you don't like him much.

I understand that since this is a message board, I’ll have to deal with silly and basically fabricated allegations, based off of “not saying the right thing”.

Of course I don’t not like ZA. His success is the team’s success.

As I’ve stated before, what I hope happens is that the most likely starter for next season also gets a lot of playing time and/or starts this season. At this point in time, I don’t prefer that to be ZA or TM. Neither have any game experience.

But there is nothing wrong with being a check & balance against unfounded, borderline ridiculous optimism about having a true freshman (forget the walkon part, that’s a red herring) be the starting QB.

All that really means is that there were failures by the coaching staff(s) in the past. Wrong bets were placed, bad decisions were made. It shouldn’t happen, but here we are, and we will make the most of it that we can.

Come on now. I'm as intrigued by ZA as much as the next guy, but if I'm reading the coach's quotes correctly he never said he almost beat him out. Saying he "battled" and they "love him because of his approach" and that he "continues to grind towards his own ambition" doesn't exactly say that he almost beat out a 5* kid as a junior.

Having a pair of jacks in poker is not the same as almost having three of a kind.

That's a different argument, and I wouldn't disagree with you. "Almost beat him out" is a vague and difficult to define statement. But one thing it does mean is that you didn't beat him out. So, a counter to that statement is NOT "how could he almost beat him out if he didn't beat him out".

I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page about the facts — sounds like we are: he didn’t play as a junior. He also got beat out as a senior, by did get to play that year.

No, he didn't "get to play", he won the starting job as a senior over a 4* recruit during the season.

I understand that since this is a message board, I’ll have to deal with silly and basically fabricated allegations, based off of “not saying the right thing”.

As I’ve stated before, what I hope happens is that the most likely starter for next season also gets a lot of playing time and/or starts this season. At this point in time, I don’t prefer that to be ZA or TM. Neither have any game experience.

But there is nothing wrong with being a check & balance against unfounded, borderline ridiculous optimism about having a true freshman (forget the walkon part, that’s a red herring) be the starting QB.

All that really means is that there were failures by the coaching staff(s) in the past. Wrong bets were placed, bad decisions were made. It shouldn’t happen, but here we are, and we will make the most of it that we can.

All fans are trying to determine is which of the two narratives are true:

1) ZA is the starter by default because there are no good QBs on the roster
2) ZA is the starter because he's good

It seems to me that you are in camp 1, and that's fine and you might be right. However, there are valid reasons to believe camp 2 is correct. You are trying to make this a fact based determination and that's not possible.

Why do you care if people are optimistic? Why is it your mission to stamp it out when you see it?

No, he didn't "get to play", he won the starting job as a senior over a 4* recruit during the season.

He didn’t win the starting job as a senior, the other guy beat him out. Just as ZA has beaten out TM this year.

You’re not wrong, nor did I ever claim differently, that ZA got to start later in the year.

All fans are trying to determine is which of the two narratives are true:

1) ZA is the starter by default because there are no good QBs on the roster
2) ZA is the starter because he's good

It seems to me that you are in camp 1, and that's fine and you might be right. However, there are valid reasons to believe camp 2 is correct. You are trying to make this a fact based determination and that's not possible.

Presenting only these two options, as an “either or”, is false, in my opinion.

Going into fall camp 2018, we only had two candidates to be the starting QB. Both freshmen with zero game experience. It’s impossible to see that situation as anything other than a failure by the coaching staff(s) in the past. It should never have gotten to that point.

But recognizing that, in no possible way then forces one to preclude that ZA won the competition over TM. I do recognize that. I am NOT trying to say that I think TM or VV would be a better or more worthy starter.

Why do you care if people are optimistic? Why is it your mission to stamp it out when you see it?

Why does what I say bother you enough to then reply to my post?

My *opinion* is worthless. I’m a nobody. Nothing I say on here should upset anyone. You’re more than welcome to just skip over my posts and not reply to them, if you dont agree with me.

He didn’t win the starting job as a senior, the other guy beat him out. Just as ZA has beaten out TM this year.

You’re not wrong, nor did I ever claim differently, that ZA got to start later in the year.

If ZA starts the first 3 games and is ineffective, and TM comes in at some point and plays really well and keeps the starter job til the end of the year, it is absolutely not inaccurate to state that TM won the job. So you are wrong. You would only be right if injury was the only reason TM won the job.

Presenting only these two options, as an “either or”, is false, in my opinion.

Going into fall camp 2018, we only had two candidates to be the starting QB. Both freshmen with zero game experience. It’s impossible to see that situation as anything other than a failure by the coaching staff(s) in the past. It should never have gotten to that point.

But recognizing that, in no possible way then forces one to preclude that ZA won the competition over TM. I do recognize that. I am NOT trying to say that I think TM or VV would be a better or more worthy starter.

If stating that these are the only two options is false, then what is the third option?

It's a fact that it would be better if either the previous coaching staff had recruited QBs who were still here and viable options, or that Fleck recruited a JuCo who was a better option. That doesn't change the fact that my two options are the only ones.

You are welcome to your opinion and skepticism, but you are presenting yourself as some kind of fact checker and on that count you're doing a lousy job.

Why does what I say bother you enough to then reply to my post?

My *opinion* is worthless. I’m a nobody. Nothing I say on here should upset anyone. You’re more than welcome to just skip over my posts and not reply to them, if you dont agree with me.

Probably because this:

isn't an opinion.

I think that you should actually state one, and I don't think you have. If you don't think ZA is any good, state it. I think he's good, although inexperienced. And I will go on record, he is better than our QBs last year. Add in that I think our skill positions will be much better this year, I think our passing offense will take a large step forward this year.

If ZA starts the first 3 games and is ineffective, and TM comes in at some point and plays really well and keeps the starter job til the end of the year, it is absolutely not inaccurate to state that TM won the job. So you are wrong. You would only be right if injury was the only reason TM won the job.

It definitely could be inaccurate, and wrong. Why are you the arbiter of what the definition is for stating "[__] won the job"? I say it can have multiple correct definitions, and depends on the context of the situation.

If stating that these are the only two options is false, then what is the third option?

It's a fact that it would be better if either the previous coaching staff had recruited QBs who were still here and viable options, or that Fleck recruited a JuCo who was a better option. That doesn't change the fact that my two options are the only ones.

You are welcome to your opinion and skepticism, but you are presenting yourself as some kind of fact checker and on that count you're doing a lousy job.

Never once presented myself any such way. That's your own fault for misinterpreting my posts that way. I can't help you there.

Your two options aren't the only ones, and it's also wrong for you to have presented those options as mutually exclusive. I stated the third way already, in my post.

Probably because this:

isn't an opinion.

I think that you should actually state one, and I don't think you have. If you don't think ZA is any good, state it. I think he's good, although inexperienced. And I will go on record, he is better than our QBs last year. Add in that I think our skill positions will be much better this year, I think our passing offense will take a large step forward this year.

He did get beat out as a senior at IMG, that is a fact. But the rest of my post, and all my posts in general are of course opinions. Any time anyone says something on a message board, it's automatically an opinion to start. It has to rise up quite a bit to be something better than that.

Again, that's your fault for misinterpreting things.

And of course I won't be forced into stating an opinion about how good ZA is, at the moment. None of us have seen him play. Until that happens, I hold the right to reserve judgment, and will most definitely be exercising that right, thank you much!

This thread is giving me a headache.

Sentences like this don't not make my brain hurt

It definitely could be inaccurate, and wrong. Why are you the arbiter of what the definition is for stating "[__] won the job"? I say it can have multiple correct definitions, and depends on the context of the situation.

Never once presented myself any such way. That's your own fault for misinterpreting my posts that way. I can't help you there.

Your two options aren't the only ones, and it's also wrong for you to have presented those options as mutually exclusive. I stated the third way already, in my post.

He did get beat out as a senior at IMG, that is a fact. But the rest of my post, and all my posts in general are of course opinions. Any time anyone says something on a message board, it's automatically an opinion to start. It has to rise up quite a bit to be something better than that.

Again, that's your fault for misinterpreting things.

And of course I won't be forced into stating an opinion about how good ZA is, at the moment. None of us have seen him play. Until that happens, I hold the right to reserve judgment, and will most definitely be exercising that right, thank you much!

Because you can win the job in a number of different ways. ZA won the job at IMG on the field, not in fall camp. It does require context and does have multiple definitions, that's why you stating that it's "false" that ZA won the job is WRONG.

You did present yourself that way.

What's the third option?

He BOTH got beat out in fall camp, and beat out Sitowski during the season. Which is more important, winning the job because of politics or in practice, or being the better player in games?

So you don't have an opinion on how good he is, but don't like that others are optimistic, or think there are valid reasons to think he will be good, or a big improvement over last year. It's such a typical MN fan take.

Top Bottom