How To Watch the BTN

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
With Comcast not providing BTN, does anyone have any strong preference or done a comparison of the service level & cost for the below that provide BTN?

Almost every live TV streaming service offers the Big Ten Network. Hulu, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, fuboTV, and DIRECTV NOW all offer the Big Ten Network.

Thanks

I'll throw my hat in for using a Roku (came built in with my tv, a TCL model I bought at Costco) and then using their app for YouTube TV. The service if $40/month and you get: ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, Fox Sports North, BTN, and I think some others (CBS Sports Net?), as far as cable sports channels go. You also get the four major broadcast local channels. The quality has been excellent, and it includes an "unlimited" DVR. Up the 3 devices streaming at the same time, under the same monthly payment.

A lot of the services available right now are similar, though. I wouldn't be able to say that YTV is the best, for a particular reason.

And to boot: I have Comcast for internet. So you're literally beating them at their own game. You're using their internet, to defeat their cable TV blockout.

I'll throw my hat in for using a Roku (came built in with my tv, a TCL model I bought at Costco) and then using their app for YouTube TV. The service if $40/month and you get: ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, Fox Sports North, BTN, and I think some others (CBS Sports Net?), as far as cable sports channels go. You also get the four major broadcast local channels. The quality has been excellent, and it includes an "unlimited" DVR. Up the 3 devices streaming at the same time, under the same monthly payment.

A lot of the services available right now are similar, though. I wouldn't be able to say that YTV is the best, for a particular reason.

And to boot: I have Comcast for internet. So you're literally beating them at their own game. You're using their internet, to defeat their cable TV blockout.

I might have to try that. I tried Playstation Vue, but it did not have the local broadcast channels in my location.

I might have to try that. I tried Playstation Vue, but it did not have the local broadcast channels in my location.

If you live in the metro area, you "should" be able to pull in all of the locals via a relatively cheap indoor antenna. YMMV

YoutubeTV is the BEST I have used and great for $40 a month with not contract.

- 6 accounts per household
- Cloud DVR with no storage limits
- Live Local Channels and Sports

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

If you live in the metro area, you "should" be able to pull in all of the locals via a relatively cheap indoor antenna. YMMV

This is what we do in our area as well. Works just fine. The only thing we can't do is DVR anything through the antenna. You just have to make sure you have decent Wi-Fi.

Many TVs now have roku or amazon fire built into it. We bought a fire tv recently and it works great. Super easy to switch from antenna to vue.

I'm outside of the metro area unfortunately. Looks like you tube TV isn't even available where I'm located.

I'm outside of the metro area unfortunately. Looks like you tube TV isn't even available where I'm located.

Have you tried an antenna to see what you can pick up? There's some stronger ones out there that can pick up channels from a ways away.

Have you tried an antenna to see what you can pick up? There's some stronger ones out there that can pick up channels from a ways away.

I might consider that if need be. The only problem is l want to be able to record the games as I usually work on Saturdays. I'm looking at Hulu live TV. Looks like they have my local channels.

I might consider that if need be. The only problem is l want to be able to record the games as I usually work on Saturdays. I'm looking at Hulu live TV. Looks like they have my local channels.

Yeah, you'd be able to DVR the games on ESPN, BTN, FS1, etc. Just not those on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

There probably is some kind of box you can pick up off of Amazon to be able to record from antenna. Just guessing, could be wrong. Might be spendy.

Bummer that YTV is not available in your area. How about DirecTV Now?

A quick google did not come up with any update on negotiations since July 24. Was something announced that I've not keyworded correctly?

Midco has not budged on putting BTN back on outside of MN. YouTube is still not on in Sioux Falls. Hulu Live has all but CBS. But that would still be a huge pain with all the NFL/NCAA, plus having to subscribe to get their other shows. Probably going to stick with switching to DirecTV at least for a year. Will only be about $20-25 more expensive for the first 12 months.

Last edited:

There probably is some kind of box you can pick up off of Amazon to be able to record from antenna. Just guessing, could be wrong. Might be spendy.

Bummer that YTV is not available in your area. How about DirecTV Now?

You can but they're like $300 and then you have to go to two different spots for your DVR's shows.

Does this include Minneapolis?

Does the potential #BTN/Comcast blackout include those in Big Ten areas/states? I thought Comcast was only pulling the plug on BTN subscribers outside of Big 10 states?

Midco has not budged on putting BTN back on outside of MN. YouTube is still not on in Sioux Falls. Hulu Live has all but CBS. But that would still be a huge pain with all the NFL/NCAA, plus having to subscribe to get their other shows. Probably going to stick with switching to DirecTV at least for a year. Will only be about $20-25 more expensive for the first 12 months.

I had a good experience the one time I had satellite. Free install, equipment worked well, DVR, multi room HD. Just crept up in the price after the promo, and had to sign up for 2 year contract. Ditched it after that and mailed in the box. No problems.

Does the potential #BTN/Comcast blackout include those in Big Ten areas/states? I thought Comcast was only pulling the plug on BTN subscribers outside of Big 10 states?

Believe you're OK if you're in the footprint. But they pulled it in NYC for example. So much for Delaney's plans.

I have playstation vue and get the local channels. 4,5,9 and 11. I like it a lot and saving about $150 from direct tv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are we okay for BTN in the Twin Cities metro if we have Comcast?

Get a JailBreak Firestick online for $100 and get everything for free. You just need internet.

I have been using it for 3-4 months with no problems. No DVR though.

You can even watch movies before they hit theaters. Watched the robot dog movie (Axel) last night.

Are we okay for BTN in the Twin Cities metro if we have Comcast?

No ... that’s the point of the thread.

Get a JailBreak Firestick online for $100 and get everything for free. You just need internet.

I have been using it for 3-4 months with no problems. No DVR though.

You can even watch movies before they hit theaters. Watched the robot dog movie (Axel) last night.

Just so people know, that this is theft. No different than Napster was for music decades ago. It’s not illegal to own the devices, but it is illegal to use them to steal content.

Don’t listen to anyone saying otherwise. They’re lying, and just trying to sell you on the equipment.

Top Bottom