273 (N) Sacramento State
265 Indiana State
213 Columbia
200 Eastern Michigan
169 SIU Edwardsville
163 Clemson
146 @ Cal Poly
23 Missouri

I should have noted that the Illini had a B1G worst final RPI of 233 (edging out the Badger's 206).

Minnesota's opponent RPI average is 244. Illinois's is 213.

I'm kind of a strength of schedule agnostic. I'm not sure tougher non-conference schedules make teams tougher. Nevertheless, as others pointed out, teams get whacked by the selection committee for a terrible SOS. Before the NCAA tournament the Gophers overall SOS was 100. The non-conference SOS was 307. Thus the selection committee was annoyed by a team that should have been a no brainer choice.

NCAA women's basketball unfortunately is staying with RPI while the men's side is moving to a new ranking/evaluation system.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...omens-basketball-rely-committee-approach.html

Petra Holesinska out for season with ACL.

It's the sort of depth that the Illini will count on the rest of the way with junior guard Petra Holesinska out for the season due to a torn ACL in her right knee.

Holesinska, who suffered the injury in preseason practices, averaged 22.6 minutes and 6.7 points per game last season despite only starting 12 games.

"That's why every day you come in and practice," Fahey said of replacing Holesinska. "I switch around players to play with other kids. If you think about it, that punch came from a lot of kids who are coming off the bench.

"It's an adjustment. We are definitely going to miss her. She takes more charges than anyone else on our team, hits threes (and) definitely has a really high (basketball) IQ. And so, it's definitely a situation where you don't try to replace (her), you just shuffle and play to the kids' strengths who are stepping in."

Top Bottom