Texas A&M calls players @#$%$#! and %$#%^% soft.

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Transfer linebacker Santino Marchiol is transferring to Arizona and would like to get the year-off waived because of conditions at Texas A&M that did not comply with player safety.

Among other things, they were supervised during voluntary practices.
Coached in volunteer practices, and when injured, forced to play.
They also had practices earlier in the morning than NCAA allows and would call out players with verbal abuse.

After the Maryland scuffle which led to a death in which bullying crosses a line with coaching a player with tough love, Jimbo's new program is going to be under the spotlight.

Jimbo's first step of denial tonight.

https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/1032054190187704320

Jimbo Fisher is a colossal piece of [emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw an ESPN segment on Herm Edwards at Arizona St. His players were saying that he doesn’t ridicule or demean them, but uses enthusiasm, encouragement, and wants to help players be the best they can be.

I think we need more like him.

I saw an ESPN segment on Herm Edwards at Arizona St. His players were saying that he doesn’t ridicule or demean them, but uses enthusiasm, encouragement, and wants to help players be the best they can be.

They don’t get more positive than Herm. ASU will be fun to watch. In fact, with Chip Kelly at UCLA and Tracy at WSU, the PAC 12 is going to be fun this year.

Too bad Herm is such a crappy head coach. ASU will not be fun to watch, except when he melts down.

"I told some guys, if you continue to stay hurt, stay in the training room, you have no tape. I can't grade you if you're not on tape. I can't grade you in the training room." -Herm Edwards at Arizona State.

The Maryland case is currently the extreme.

But how many more of the Power 5 schools aren't riding their players hard pushing some through injury when maybe they shouldn't.
I would guess about 50% are leaning on pushing too hard vs not siding on the side of player safety.

But how many more of the Power 5 schools aren't riding their players hard pushing some through injury when maybe they shouldn't.
I would guess about 50% are leaning on pushing too hard vs not siding on the side of player safety.

Hard to say obviously from being on the outside of any team. Football is a tough game for anyone to play and you need to expect to play when you're feeling less than 100%. I remember an old coach I worked with, who was definitely a players coach would simply ask the player "Are you hurt or are you injured? Everyone hurts after one or two full contact practices until the end of the season."

You know that ASU and Arizona are different schools, right? Herm Edwards is not the coach at the school Marchiol is transferring to.

Recruiting violation allegations aren’t real rare but it will be interesting to see how Jimbo handles that assistant coach. The coaches are under intense pressure to land recruits, and who knows if Jimbo is (allegedly) orchestrating it via assistants for plausible deniability or the assistant was acting on their own. Seems like the NCAA will get involved and they will at time selectively enforce a low bar of evidence (USC) or totally ignore evidence (UNC).

The crying about being yelled at probably isn’t going to get him much respect. His future staff(s) may be looking at him sideways going forward wondering what this guy may say. That said, points can be made without the swearing and perhaps people need to cut that out completely, though I’m not sure it’s a capital crime. Seems like faux outrage.

The crying about being yelled at probably isn’t going to get him much respect.

The player's angle in that part of it is to leverage the current atmosphere into pressuring the NCAA to give him a waiver from having to sit-out this year for transferring.

Hard to say obviously from being on the outside of any team. Football is a tough game for anyone to play and you need to expect to play when you're feeling less than 100%. I remember an old coach I worked with, who was definitely a players coach would simply ask the player "Are you hurt or are you injured? Everyone hurts after one or two full contact practices until the end of the season."

On occasion my high school coach would say, and usually appropriately IMHO, "That's a track injury, not a football injury."

You know that ASU and Arizona are different schools, right? Herm Edwards is not the coach at the school Marchiol is transferring to.
Yeah, I didn’t say Arizona. I said Arizona State. Where Herm Edwards is at. I didn’t make any reference to Marchiol.

Along those lines, former gopher Tommy Olson mentioned today on KFAN that in his opinion it's accepted as common knowledge that most Alabama players wash out in the NFL after a few years because their bodies got worn out by the strength and conditioning coaches at Bama.

Along those lines, former gopher Tommy Olson mentioned today on KFAN that in his opinion it's accepted as common knowledge that most Alabama players wash out in the NFL after a few years because their bodies got worn out by the strength and conditioning coaches at Bama.

I’ve had that same thought for some time now.. Dre Kirkpatrick, Trent Richardson and that fat rb that was in Green Bay for a grew years recently, his name escaped me... Mark Ingram Saints rb has been average at best also comes to mind. All high draft picks expect that fat rb from Green Bay..

I’ve had that same thought for some time now.. Dre Kirkpatrick, Trent Richardson and that fat rb that was in Green Bay for a grew years recently, his name escaped me... Mark Ingram Saints rb has been average at best also comes to mind. All high draft picks expect that fat rb from Green Bay..

Eddie Lacy?

It wasn't all about swearing at players...

Over the next several months, however, Marchiol said he witnessed behavior that made him uncomfortable, including, he asserts, an assistant coach giving him cash to host top recruits on"unofficial" visits. Marchiol also said he and other players were evaluated in June practice sessions that were allegedly voluntary but were operated and observed outside the NCAA rule book.

The new coaching staff arrived with a mind-set that the team was soft, Marchiol said, and demeaning and vulgar language directed at players became common. Then the training staff at Texas A&M, he claims, mishandled an ankle injury that doctors had said would require caution because of a surgery Marchiol had that sidelined him in his freshman year.

“I’m not a complainer,” Marchiol said. “I like to adapt to any environment I’m in. I was excited to take on a new challenge with Jimbo Fisher. I was nervous, but I like new things like that. I told my dad, ‘I’m going to be his favorite player here.’ ”

It didn’t work out that way. Convinced that he needed a fresh start, Marchiol faced a choice if he was going to play at another top-level school: He could transfer quietly and per NCAA rules sit out a year before returning to the field, but that would mean a lost year of college eligibility because he already had redshirted a season. Or he could seek a waiver from the NCAA, which this year approved a policy change that allows transfers to play immediately if there were “documented mitigating circumstances that are outside student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete.”

The change to the transfer rule was implemented in May to address the eligibility of six former Mississippi players, who said they were misled during their recruitment about the seriousness of the NCAA case against then-coach Hugh Freeze’s staff. The case resulted in penalties against the football program, including a one-year bowl ban on top of the one-year ban the school imposed on itself.

In the Ole Miss case, the players were granted waivers long after the school had been sanctioned. Marchiol’s case presents a new possibility — that athletes could, in applying for a waiver, include allegations of improprieties within their former athletic program...

On two separate weekends this spring, Marchiol told USA TODAY Sports, he was given hundreds of dollars in cash by linebackers coach Bradley Dale Peveto to entertain prospects on unofficial visits. Those recruiting visits occurred, he said, following the April 14 spring game with Zach Edwards, a three-star linebacker from Starkville, Mississippi, and the second weekend in June with four-star linebacker Christian Harris (now a Texas A&M verbal commitment) and Nakobe Dean from Horn Lake, Mississippi, ranked as the No. 1 inside linebacker in the country by Rivals.com.

While NCAA rules at the time allowed schools to give a student host $40 a day to entertain recruits during official visits, prospects must pay their own expenses for unofficial visits, meaning any money provided by coaches would be an NCAA rules violation. Recruits are allowed to take up to five all-expenses-paid official visits each, but many also add unofficial visits to see other schools or make additional visits to a favorite school. News accounts of the visits that Marchiol discussed indicate all were unofficial.

Marchiol describes being taken aback after the spring game when Peveto pulled him into a bathroom near the coaches’ offices and handed him $300.

“There were coaches having meetings in the other office, and he said, here, come in the bathroom real quick because he’d just asked me to host the recruit,” Marchiol said. “So I went in the bathroom and it was just me and him in there, and he’s like, ‘Take this, if you need any more just text me and make sure they have a good time.’ ”

►On the second occasion, Marchiol said, the money exchange took place in the bathroom at Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe in College Station, a restaurant where the team frequently takes recruits to eat. Marchiol said he received $400 in cash from Peveto and that a teammate Marchiol identified in his waiver request was handed another $300 during the exchange.

“You know how you tip people in Vegas? He had the cash in his hand and he like handed it to us like, here (with a handshake),” Marchiol said.

Marchiol said the money went toward drinks and snacks, but he had no record of the cash or purchases made with it and kept whatever wasn’t spent. He said he did not give any of it to the recruits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...r-player-eligibility-jimbo-fisher/1052434002/

A lot of this kind of seems similar to the tale of PVC William Santiago requesting a transfer from Guantanomo Bay, and in exchange, would provide information regarding a fence line shooting by Lance Corporal Harold W. Dawson.....

Marchiol would like a transfer.....and in exchange, is willing to talk about receiving cash to spend on recruits...which he kept for himself anyway.

Oh how I miss the days of Lydon Murtha being brought to the Vu.

Do the Gophers have a coach like that?

Top Bottom