Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

So I think Tanner gets meaningful game reps with the offense, and within the first half.

Annexstad could go out there and play great in week #1. OR, he could go out there, crap his pants, and Morgan could be playing by the 2nd half. And neither outcome would shock me.

Fleck was very authoritative, Zach will get the start AND he will not have a short leash. That means, it doesn't matter if he craps his pants. They are going to let him make mistakes without worrying about it. You can't state that and yank him game one. Tanner is going to have to win back the job by keeping a great attitude and improving in practice. And his reps will come if we are winning comfortably.

Fleck was very authoritative, Zach will get the start AND he will not have a short leash. That means, it doesn't matter if he craps his pants. They are going to let him make mistakes without worrying about it. You can't state that and yank him game one. Tanner is going to have to win back the job by keeping a great attitude and improving in practice. And his reps will come if we are winning comfortably.

Win back...?

I have to believe that Fleck would take him out for a few plays so he could change his pants.

Annexstad outplayed a four star recruit at IMG. Sent a four-star juco home with his long mane scalped this Spring. Throws a great ball, stands tall. has great footwork. Smart decision maker.

Annexstad is the perfect kid to lead Minnesota back to Pasadena. From Norseland. You couldn't make that up. He has great roots in farming and ag business. Roots with great Gopher supporter Federated.

The walk-on angle will make his story even more magical.

Agreed. This is the sort of s*** that our rivals have cultivated over the last 20-30 years: hometown boys leading Iowa, wi, nebby to Pasadena or the orange bowl. Walk ons becoming legends. Jim Leonard, Neb farm boys lining up for walk on spots. Midwest kids staying home.

My dad and I have been waiting for this kid and his story out whole lives, rural MN and ag kids (granted his family has money but the rest of his family are straight out of nicollet county) will look up to this kid and want to walk on at the U and not go to the Dakotas.

I only hope this is the case...

I really didn't think this would happen. However I agree that both will get much playing time this fall. May the best man be on the field at all times.

Ditto this; both should play a lot early in the season, you would expect. I did think he had a thin edge over Tanner in the Spring Game. He's a remarkable young man, for sure.

Somehow it appears the Gophers may have scored a sleeper in a QB who played his high school games in front of more recruiters than literally anyone in the nation.

That IMG experience likely helped him be ready early. It's not a new thing for him to be away at boarding school, working with college level recruits and coaches.

Correct!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Annexstad outplayed a four star recruit at IMG. Sent a four-star juco home with his long mane scalped this Spring. Throws a great ball, stands tall. has great footwork. Smart decision maker.

Annexstad is the perfect kid to lead Minnesota back to Pasadena. From Norseland. You couldn't make that up. He has great roots in farming and ag business. Roots with great Gopher supporter Federated.

The walk-on angle will make his story even more magical.
I hope you are right. We need a feel good story with UMN football. This would be great.

Here is where the new redshirt rules can get interesting. Say Annexstad struggles in the first couple games. PJ can still redshirt him if he wants.
This is not to say that Annexstad hasn't earned the start, but Fleck has some wiggle room and flexibility with this that he's never had before. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I think we will see a lot of both this year. I also think both Kramer and Clark will make this a four man derby next year
Let's hope not. If Morgan is a hair behind Annexstad and both are worthy to lead, then Clark & Kramer should red-shirt next year. If it becomes a four-man battle, we're in trouble.

Here is where the new redshirt rules can get interesting. Say Annexstad struggles in the first couple games. PJ can still redshirt him if he wants.
This is not to say that Annexstad hasn't earned the start, but Fleck has some wiggle room and flexibility with this that he's never had before. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

The Gophers are so up against it experience-wise at QB, I don't think this rule will come into play as much at this position. They pretty much have to ride with the guy that shows them the most and let the chips fall. If there was an incumbent senior or junior, they may be more conscious of a young QB's eligibility. One of the few silver linings of being so young at the position is I think you can throw caution to the wind in this regard.

Let's hope not. If Morgan is a hair behind Annexstad and both are worthy to lead, then Clark & Kramer should red-shirt next year. If it becomes a four-man battle, we're in trouble.
I just think neither of our current options will do enough to separate themselves, thus creating a window for one of the newbies next year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How long until a Fleck basher states that this will be his excuse for not having a winning record?

Well, this certainly gives PJ a built-in excuse for a losing record

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/d8WXnEZdMplAs" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/race-bark-almost-perfectloops-d8WXnEZdMplAs">via GIPHY</a></p>

Well, this certainly gives PJ a built-in excuse for a losing record

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/d8WXnEZdMplAs" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/race-bark-almost-perfectloops-d8W
XnEZdMplAs">via GIPHY</a></p>

By naming Zack Annexstad qb?? Do you realize if PJ don’t win as a HC he’s out of a job???:confused:

By naming Zack Annexstad qb?? Do you realize if PJ don’t win as a HC he’s out of a job???:confused:

That’s absurd. Zach beat out 4 star qb at Rutgers and had power 5 offers. You get fired if you don’t win no matter who you have and naming Zack qb has nothing to do with it. IMO P.J. is one of the best coaches in the country

Neither QB has taken a snap in an actual game.

Somebody has to start. So, all we can safely assume is that the coaches believe Annexstad is better-suited to start right now. It could be because of tangibles - or intangibles.

Annexstad could go out there and play great in week #1. OR, he could go out there, crap his pants, and Morgan could be playing by the 2nd half. And neither outcome would shock me.

Either way, the non-starter will play in 4 games this year.

And - (don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm a realist) - every QB is one hit away from being on the sidelines with the training staff huddled around him. Just because Annexstad starts week #1, that does NOT mean that Morgan is a bust, or he'll never play.

Either way? Why would Morgan only play in 4 games?

I'm very excited for the Annexstad Era but I wouldn't bet the farm he starts the Opener just yet...

This is not a quarterback by committee situation like last year. Annexstad will get every snap possible in order to mature quickly. Have to let the kid make some mistakes and grow. Morgan is only going to play in mop up time or because of injury if I had any say in it, which I don't.

This is not a quarterback by committee situation like last year. Annexstad will get every snap possible in order to mature quickly. Have to let the kid make some mistakes and grow. Morgan is only going to play in mop up time or because of injury if I had any say in it, which I don't.

I really hope it isn't. we'll see how it plays out.

Kellen Mond, Shea Patterson, and Deondre Francois are the past three IMG starting QB’s before Annexstad. All started some games as either FR or redshirt FR at Texas A&M, Ole Miss, & FSU respectively. Not sure why Annexstad starting makes college athletics strange. #Gophers

https://twitter.com/ChelseaBerndt/status/1031736921079402498

It's strange because he will be the 2nd true freshman walk-on QB in the history of major college football to start in his first game. I don't get what's so hard to grasp about the rarity of this.

It's strange because he will be the 2nd true freshman walk-on QB in the history of major college football to start in his first game. I don't get what's so hard to grasp about the rarity of this.

It’s certainly rare, unsure if it’s strange. We saw the stars aligning for months. It’s not like this is a shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s certainly rare, unsure if it’s strange. We saw the stars aligning for months. It’s not like this is a shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG+girl.gif

Top Bottom