Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

PJ said he's giving a long leash. Allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.
Although, he still will want to get Tanner some reps.

This can be looked as a positive development or a negative development depending on perspective. For example: is ZA so good he doesn’t need a developmental year, or is Tanner inconsistent enough he wasn’t able to beat him out? Now that the decision is made we all hope Zach is the real deal.

Regarding the Mayfield comparisons, in high school Baker had over 6600 career yards, 67 tds and 8 interceptions. Signs of a pretty polished QB. His negative was likely his height. Zach has about 1600 career yards including his time at Mankato and a relatively pedestrian stat sheet otherwise.

I really want him to be excellent this year but my expectations are pretty low. Prove me wrong! Sorry if that’s negative but I don’t know how many true freshmen have looked good vs Power 5. Surely you guys can come up with some to make me feel better.
I think we will see a lot of both this year. I also think both Kramer and Clark will make this a four man derby next year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think we will see a lot of both this year. I also think both Kramer and Clark will make this a four man derby next year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We're going to pioneer the starter/relief system in quarterbacking, with each quarterback playing one quarter and a "closer" qb that will come on the field at the start of the fourth quarter in close games to Enter Sandman. Revolutionary!

We're going to pioneer the starter/relief system in quarterbacking, with each quarterback playing one quarter and a "closer" qb that will come on the field at the start of the fourth quarter in close games to Enter Sandman. Revolutionary!

I like how you think.

Both QB are going to play, simple as that. Maybe this is Fleck’s idea of trying to light a fire under Tanner’s butt??

And as I predicted, media are falling over themselves, can’t put “walk-on” in the headline fast enough...

This can be looked as a positive development or a negative development depending on perspective. For example: is ZA so good he doesn’t need a developmental year, or is Tanner inconsistent enough he wasn’t able to beat him out? Now that the decision is made we all hope Zach is the real deal.

Regarding the Mayfield comparisons, in high school Baker had over 6600 career yards, 67 tds and 8 interceptions. Signs of a pretty polished QB. His negative was likely his height. Zach has about 1600 career yards including his time at Mankato and a relatively pedestrian stat sheet otherwise.

I really want him to be excellent this year but my expectations are pretty low. Prove me wrong! Sorry if that’s negative but I don’t know how many true freshmen have looked good vs Power 5. Surely you guys can come up with some to make me feel better.

I'm not going to bite on the "so good" example, as very there's few P5 freshmen would not benefit from another year to develop.

What is clear to me is that based on how quickly Annexstad learned the offense and then executed in practice, I think the former is more likely than the latter. They both look more comfortable and polished compared to Spring, with Zack creating a noticeable gap because he moves in the pocket and progresses through his reads better now compared Morgan.

Congrats to Zack. Surprised PJ announced it so early. Thought he might wait until the later in week or early next.

What happens on a low snap when ZA bobbles it and it falls to the ground and he tries to pick it up but it rolls away and NMSU recovers? :confused:

Last edited:

Both QB are going to play, simple as that. Maybe this is Fleck’s idea of trying to light a fire under Tanner’s butt??

And as I predicted, media are falling over themselves, can’t put “walk-on” in the headline fast enough...

I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Morgan may only play in mop up duty, unless ZA gets hurt. If ZA plays well, I don’t think we’re going to see much of Morgan. I think this is different than last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we're alternating QB's I would find that worrisome. There will be lumps with Frosh, but it's not like we're accustomed to excellence at the position.

I think its nice that we have multiple options this year, and will have more coming next year, and I assume every year as long as PJ is at the helm.

Previous coaching regimes didn't seem to add talent at that position every year. Not all recruits become starter caliber. Having a recruit every year, or even two some years, increases the likelihood that you'll have a good QB, and capable backups. Same as with all positions.

Fleck and Co have done a nice job of adding a few good WRs, a few good lineman, a few good DBs, etc. in classes so we don't pin our hopes on 1 person (Gray, Croft, a bunch of receivers can be listed here, etc)

Why is anyone surprised he picked a starting QB? He said last year he’s a one QB guy (but no one could separate themselves last year). The OC said on BTN they were going to talk this weekend and pick a starter.

1. Failure is Growth
2. We will need someone to come in for mop up time / victory formation!

wish i was better at searching this forum so I could find an old post of mine letting you know my source said ZA had a real shot at starting this year. I was chastised up and down that thread...

Oh well, bygones be bygones. Apology accepted. :p

If we're alternating QB's I would find that worrisome. There will be lumps with Frosh, but it's not like we're accustomed to excellence at the position.

I literally laughed out loud at this line. That's a new slogan we can add to the bin: "Minnesota - It's not like we're accustomed to excellence."

I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Morgan may only play in mop up duty, unless ZA gets hurt. If ZA plays well, I don’t think we’re going to see much of Morgan. I think this is different than last year.

You could well end up being right, but I think the key is something Fleck has stressed repeatedly — both QB have zero experience.

So I think Tanner gets meaningful game reps with the offense, and within the first half.

Annexstad outplayed a four star recruit at IMG. Sent a four-star juco home with his long mane scalped this Spring. Throws a great ball, stands tall. has great footwork. Smart decision maker.

Annexstad is the perfect kid to lead Minnesota back to Pasadena. From Norseland. You couldn't make that up. He has great roots in farming and ag business. Roots with great Gopher supporter Federated.

The walk-on angle will make his story even more magical.

Why is anyone surprised he picked a starting QB? He said last year he’s a one QB guy (but no one could separate themselves last year). The OC said on BTN they were going to talk this weekend and pick a starter.

I agree. It's Zack's to lose, and I don't think that will happen.

Annexstad outplayed a four star recruit at IMG. Sent a four-star juco home with his long mane scalped this Spring. Throws a great ball, stands tall. has great footwork. Smart decision maker.

Annexstad is the perfect kid to lead Minnesota back to Pasadena. From Norseland. You couldn't make that up. He has great roots in farming and ag business. Roots with great Gopher supporter Federated.

The walk-on angle will make his story even more magical.

He really doesn't have any roots with Federated. I've been told he is a closer relative to Sam Dekker the former Badger Basketball Star.

wish i was better at searching this forum so I could find an old post of mine letting you know my source said ZA had a real shot at starting this year. I was chastised up and down that thread...

Oh well, bygones be bygones. Apology accepted. :p

Was that before or after Vic announced he was transferring? I think it was a lot more believable after he left the program.

I'm not going to bite on the "so good" example, as very there's few P5 freshmen would not benefit from another year to develop.

What is clear to me is that based on how quickly Annexstad learned the offense and then executed in practice, I think the former is more likely than the latter. They both look more comfortable and polished compared to Spring, with Zack creating a noticeable gap because he moves in the pocket and progresses through his reads better now compared Morgan.

We’re sittin’ here talkin’ about practicing...

J/k - Obviously PJ feels like he has more long term upside in aggregate vs TM2. We’re all looking forward to this season with great anticipation.

Makes sense, coach Fleck secretly wants Morgan to start so he will name Annexstad the starter to motivate Morgan. Brilliant

The Morgan story will end like the Croft story. Hope he doesn't pout and end up in Fleck's doghouse like Croft. We will need both this year, don't want to lose Green as a receiver.

Zach seemed quicker at making the reads, checking to the open receiver, and putting balls where they needed to be.

That said, I don't think that the competition is over.

Last edited:

We’re sittin’ here talkin’ about practicing...

J/k - Obviously PJ feels like he has more long term upside in aggregate vs TM2. We’re all looking forward to this season with great anticipation.

As they say, practice makes perfect...

I'm excited to see what the young man can do, so I hope they use the whole playbook with him...really don't need another year of that predicable vanilla offense we saw last year. The in game adjustments will tell me whether this staff has what is needed to elevate to that next level.

Like last year, there are seven very winnable games. Do that, and surprise us with one other. 8-4 but not ranked at the end of the season to ensure they still have a considerable "crack" on their shoulders going into a bowl match-up with an SEC team!

Neither QB has taken a snap in an actual game.

Somebody has to start. So, all we can safely assume is that the coaches believe Annexstad is better-suited to start right now. It could be because of tangibles - or intangibles.

Annexstad could go out there and play great in week #1. OR, he could go out there, crap his pants, and Morgan could be playing by the 2nd half. And neither outcome would shock me.

Either way, the non-starter will play in 4 games this year.

And - (don't want to be a wet blanket, but I'm a realist) - every QB is one hit away from being on the sidelines with the training staff huddled around him. Just because Annexstad starts week #1, that does NOT mean that Morgan is a bust, or he'll never play.

Top Bottom