Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

Insert meme of Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka "You get nothing! Good day!" here

A classic in the vein of the “you’re all out of order” scene. Seems to define the tone of most arguments here.

Insert: questions about ZA’s PWO offer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HaoySOGlZ_U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What this comes down to, IMHO, is that some people have an idea or opinion that goes something like this:

the best players are on scholarship.
players who aren't good enough to get a scholarship become walk-ons.

so, if a walk-on is starting, there must be something wrong, because the better scholarship players aren't starting.

And, if you want to believe that, more power to you.

the fact is that the vast majority of college FB players need a scholarship in order to attend college financially. There are a few - very few - who come from wealthier families, and don't NEED a scholarship - AND have the athletic ability to play college FB. But you could probably count those players on one hand for all of D1 FB.

If some 4* kid walked into Fleck's office and said, "Hi, my folks are filthy rich, so I don't need a scholarship, and I want to play for the Gophers" - Fleck would be stupid to say "I'm going to give you a scholarship anyway, because players are supposed to have scholarships."

Maybe Fleck and the Annexstads worked out some under-the-table deal. Maybe Michael Cohen negotiated the deal, and the Enquirer bought the story to keep it out of the papers. Maybe I'm going to win the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes next week. Anything is possible.

Yes yes yes yes. G4L is kind of a coward, so he is hiding behind "questions". But it's pretty clear he either has some kind of hidden agenda (like he's the former coach of another QB) or he's just trying to say that ZA cannot be very good because he walked on. Something must be wrong. Fleck can't really think he's good. We shouldn't be optimistic or excited because it means we have lousy options at QB.

He doesn't want to say "ZA is not very good" because that statement could be proven wrong later.

I will say, it is absolutely fantastic to have a potential long term leader of the team be a guy who turned down scholarship offers to walk on here, and earned the job. It's a great message. And he obviously already won the team since he got the job.

I don’t think it’s that unusual to pay your own way to go to one’s school of choice. We make choices every day that may not make any financial sense. Cars, vacations, schools, clothing, food. How many people have fallen under the siren song of a Coyote V8 (or inser other desirable, impractical vehicle) instead of a Kia?

I’m more intrigued by the quarterback carousel of Brennan Armstrong, Vic Viramontes, Annexstad. Did PJ have him pegged from the get go as a viable option or was he genuinely as sold on VV as he sounded when he signed?

Will Annexstad have a better year than Sitkowski? (My bet: yes). Will Armstrong become a starter?

Have to ask a dumb question: do PWO's get to eat like the scholarship players? Like at the training table for free? Or do they have to handle the meal stuff for themselves?

Even before Zack plays a single snap, I admire this kid. He is an ultimate team player like Carter Coughlin. We need more on the team like him.

A classic in the vein of the “you’re all out of order” scene. Seems to define the tone of most arguments here.

Insert: questions about ZA’s PWO offer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HaoySOGlZ_U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice. This works too...

zip it.jpg

Did the BA scholarship likely go to Falaale or one of the other late recruits?

ZA was probably telling Fleck, "Hey, if you have two more scholarships, I think I can bring these two guys with" and hold off on mine.

The way ZA recruited these guys to come with, I believe he was highly unselfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4Ueu73_ys

At 1:04 in this video Heather seems to be saying something to Zack, and (I'm not an expert lip reader) it appears she's saying "We love you SO much" to Zack.
To me, it seems as if Zack is totally putting the team before himself, and his payoff down the line will be a scholarship, who knows what for a football career, and maybe an assistant job under Fleck someday.
There's a relationship there is which Zack is giving more early trusting Fleck, and he'll get his payoff in due time. Brock getting a scholarship was just a step in that direction.
Nope. Can't be that. Has to be a conspiracy.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You aren't happy with anyone's answers.

This is a fair observation. So far the answers aren't particularly satisfying.

Because he already had him committed without giving him a scholarship.

Could've decommitted and taken a scholarship elsewhere, though. Giving him the scholly would've locked him up for sure. I guess Fleck was good with that possibility?

Did the BA scholarship likely go to Falaale or one of the other late recruits?

ZA was probably telling Fleck, "Hey, if you have two more scholarships, I think I can bring these two guys with" and hold off on mine.

The way ZA recruited these guys to come with, I believe he was highly unselfish.

If that's how it happened, then ZA is extremely unselfish. And I'd argue deserves to be recognized for such unselfishness, beyond the fact that he has now earned the starting job. If indeed that is what happened, then I hope that story comes out. Not sure frankly why they wouldn't promote it ...

he's just trying to say that ZA cannot be very good because he walked on. Something must be wrong. Fleck can't really think he's good. We shouldn't be optimistic or excited because it means we have lousy options at QB.

All wild guesses, that are all grossly wrong. Your wild jumping to conclusions, as a backhanded attempted to force me into unfounded optimism is noted.

ZA could be very good. But there is no data to suggest he will be, yet.

Have to ask a dumb question: do PWO's get to eat like the scholarship players? Like at the training table for free? Or do they have to handle the meal stuff for themselves?

My understanding is that since an uproar a few years ago where a current NFL player said he went hungry in college (can't recall the guys name at the moment), the NCAA now allows school athletic depts to essentially "gift" any athlete an unlimited amount of food. So regardless if on scholarship or not, any Gopher athlete can walk into the special dining hall in the athletes village, and eat whatever he/she wants (or more likely, whatever has been prescribed for him/her by the team nutritionist) and even walk off with more food to-go, etc. with zero out of pocket cost.

Nope. Can't be that. Has to be a conspiracy.

You must have the legs of a gazelle! I mean, with all the wild jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Could've decommitted and taken a scholarship elsewhere, though. Giving him the scholly would've locked him up for sure. I guess Fleck was good with that possibility?

All wild guesses, that are all grossly wrong. Your wild jumping to conclusions, as a backhanded attempted to force me into unfounded optimism is noted.

ZA could be very good. But there is no data to suggest he will be, yet.

DIDN'T DECOMMIT. Could have, but DID NOT. If the situation was different, maybe Fleck handles different and offers him a scholarship. Did not have to. And because he did not have to, he did not. Period.

Neither I nor anyone else here cares if you are optimistic or think ZA is any good. I'm not trying to change your opinion. There is a reason you are pushing this ZA scholarship question so hard, and what that reason is, you aren't telling. You either have a personal vested reason, or you are a cowardly ahole. I'm about 50/50, and don't care which it is.

ZA could be very good. There is a lot of data actually. I've seen him in 3 practices and 2 scrimmage situations. There is no D1 college football game data, but there is a lot of information. On top of coaches opinions.

G4L why are you so obsessed with the exact details of this transaction?
I suspect that PJ doesn’t bring in a PWO unless he thinks they have the raw tools to eventually contribute to the team. It is not like PWO’s are given out to anyone who is interested!
It most likely was as people have described. He got a PWO early and then PJ held on tight to keep him. PJ has already said that giving Zack a PWO allowed them to fill another hole. Just let it go and enjoy the season, PJ has nothing to hide that some reporter is going to uncover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have, but DID NOT.

Meaning Fleck accepted the risk, rather than offer. Like I said, he can run the program any way he wants.

There is a reason you are pushing this ZA scholarship question so hard, and what that reason is, you aren't telling.

Nope. I have no idea why your mind so badly needs this to be true, but that is ultimately your problem and not mine.

Several posters have offered logical explanations that could well be correct. I just want it out in the open, explicitly what is the combination of circumstances that led to ZA not having a scholly this fall. The end.

There is no D1 college football game data, but there is a lot of information. On top of coaches opinions.

Game data is what matters, when game outcomes are what will be the ultimately basis for judging the program.

G4L why are you so obsessed with the exact details of this transaction?

Morbid curiosity, nothing more.

It most likely was as people have described. He got a PWO early and then PJ held on tight to keep him.

Yep, very well could be correct. Just wonder: wouldnt it have been “tighter” to offer scholly? Then for sure he wouldn’t have decommitted to Pitt, Illinois etc.

PJ has nothing to hide that some reporter is going to uncover

I agree

Last edited:

Meaning Fleck accepted the risk, rather than offer. Like I said, he can run the program any way he wants.

Nope. I have no idea why your mind so badly needs this to be true, but that is ultimately your problem and not mine.

Several posters have offered logical explanations that could well be correct. I just want it out in the open, explicitly what is the combination of circumstances that led to ZA not having a scholly this fall. The end.

Game data is what matters, when game outcomes are what will be the ultimately basis for judging the program.

Only Fleck knew how great the risk was. I'm sure he was in regular conversation with ZA and the family. It's not a blind auction.

There is a reason you are pushing this so hard, and you aren't telling. You're either just a dink, or you have a vested interest. Your June 2018 join date is somewhat revealing, as are your vague denials. It's ok, you suddenly spring up from nowhere with all kinds of questions about why ZA didn't get a scholarship, why are people excited about him, but you're just curious about it. Sure.

If that's all that matters, then why don't you take a hike until next Friday. I'm sure if he plays well you will disappear. And if he doesn't I expect to see lots of posts from you.

Yes I’m sure Fleck has his reasons for not offering.

You on the other hand have no reason to make sure unfounded, wild accusations about me.

You on the other hand have no reason to make sure unfounded, wild accusations about me.

No unfounded accusations. You're a dink. The other possibility is that you have a personal reason for asking these questions. If you have no relationship with a player who is, for example, being impacted by ZA winning the starting job, then you're just a dink. The evidence is overwhelming.

No unfounded accusations. You're a dink. The other possibility is that you have a personal reason for asking these questions. If you have no relationship with a player who is, for example, being impacted by ZA winning the starting job, then you're just a dink. The evidence is overwhelming.
Definitely a dink! Arguing for the sake of arguing. Wants to create controversy where there is none....massive dink.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dink= dual income no kids. How could you guys possibly know that about G4life?

STOOOOOPPPPP. You've hijacked another thread. G4L, please start a thread titled " Why didn't PJ offer ZA a scholarship" and everyone who wants to discuss or speculate, can. Thank you.

One thing that may be underrated here is PJ’s flair for the dramatic, and his love of the underdog story. If this pans out it will be news with a capital N and that’s good. If they are as close on the field as PJ says then if ZA flames out and Morgan takes over it was an acceptable risk and loss. We have two more QBs coming next year and maybe a highly touted guy for 2020.

Moderate risk, high reward scenario by starting ZA in 2018.

I just want the official story, straight from PJ and ZA's mouths. Hope they're asked about it.

Some folks want a magic lamp so they can wish for a 10 inch pianist. They won’t get that, either.

Gophers_4life should just go ahead and create whatever story he wants and just create his own thread and just talk to himself about it.

I don't know what his deal is, but in the end it seems he won't be happy until he has someone he can criticize for it... whatever "it" is.

Gophers_4life should just go ahead and create whatever story he wants and just create his own thread and just talk to himself about it.

I don't know what his deal is, but in the end it seems he won't be happy until he has someone he can criticize for it... whatever "it" is.

He's just a troll. Stop feeding GString_4Life and he'll get bored and go away.

I don't have a STrib subscription anymore, so just noticed this morning the report from Aug 21: http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...n-for-gophers-starting-quarterback/491281271/

Fleck said his young QB is much more than what the roster says about his year and status.

“Zack Annexstad is a walk-on by paper. He is not a walk-on player,” said Fleck, who had to sweat out the QB’s recruitment as scholarship offers came from Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, among others. “… That kid was never a walk-on in our minds.”

Top Bottom