Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

Not too surprising given the news and reports coming out of camp. Fully expect to see both in action against the Aggies.

Congrats to Mr. Annexstad, may you lead us to many victories in the next four years!

Not too surprising given the news and reports coming out of camp. Fully expect to see both in action against the Aggies.

Congrats to Mr. Annexstad, may you lead us to many victories in the next four years!

Yep!

Wow, a walk on true Freshman. I will be cheering this young man on. Sounds like he is mature beyond his years.

Wow. How about that?
Hopefully he holds the job from NMSU through the end of the season.
If Tanner doesn't play, it means Zack is doing well.

I really didn't think this would happen. However I agree that both will get much playing time this fall. May the best man be on the field at all times.

Both these young QBs need to get game reps. Either one would/will have a good season for us. Annexstad has the IMG advantage. He is going to be a very good QB for us. I hope that Brock will be on the receiving end of passes this year. Our receivers are immensely improved from last year. Seth Green will have a big year.

From Baker Mayfield's wikipedia page, so I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy:

Shortly before the start of the 2013 season, Mayfield was named as the starting quarterback following a back injury of projected starter and former Lake Travis quarterback Michael Brewer.[6] Mayfield is believed to be the first walk-on true freshman quarterback to start a season opener at the quarterback position.[7]

Zack is in rare territory, which means he's destined to lead us to a Rose Bowl and be the #1 overall pick by the time he's done. ;)

I really didn't think this would happen. However I agree that both will get much playing time this fall. May the best man be on the field at all times.

Morgan should have been playing last year.

Morgan should have been playing last year.

Yes you do have to wonder about this decision. Yes you saved a year. No you don't have any game experience quarterback coming into this season. By throwing him in to the wolves last year he would have picked up some valuable experience coming in to this year. We need a quarterback with some experience.

I really hope this isn't PJ playing 2 QBs without saying it.... pick a guy!

Yes you do have to wonder about this decision. Yes you saved a year. No you don't have any game experience quarterback coming into this season. By throwing him in to the wolves last year he would have picked up some valuable experience coming in to this year. We need a quarterback with some experience.

Because he knew Annexstad was going to earn the starting spot last year?

If PJ had the new redshirt rule last year, Morgan would have started the last couple games I believe.

If PJ had the new redshirt rule last year, Morgan would have started the last couple games I believe.

I would agree. Nothing to lose for PJ then.. although Croft did have a very nice game vs NEB.

I would agree. Nothing to lose for PJ then.. although Croft did have a very nice game vs NEB.

It was a nice game but Neb quit after the first play and I don't think many people had seriously high hopes for Croft at that point in the season. The writing was on the wall by then.

Honestly I'm shocked. Were picking a starting qb? This isn't like Fleck at all. For sure it isn't like gopher football.

EDIT: reads like sarcasm but didn't mean it like that. Just saying I didn't expect Fleck to name a starter ten days out let alone the true freshman.

Last edited:

Was Fleck unable to pick a starting QB at WMU when going undefeated in the regular season? He had to know that neither Rhoda or Croft could get the job done last year. Saving Morgan was a mistake. I assume he was too far removed from being physically ready last year

:rolleyes: Based on absolutely nothing.

Agreed. I think Fleck gave Morgan as much time as he could to be the starter this year, but had to know in the Spring that Zack was a real possibility given how quickly he picked up the offense and caught up to Morgan.

Was Fleck unable to pick a starting QB at WMU when going undefeated in the regular season? He had to know that neither Rhoda or Croft could get the job done last year. Saving Morgan was a mistake. I assume he was too far removed from being physically ready last year

So now your assumption contradicts your original statement. It's very likely Morgan wasn't physically ready. They had a RS SR and a RS SO ahead of him. Playing him would have been stupid regardless of him losing the starting job this fall.

Honestly I'm shocked. Were picking a starting qb? This isn't like Fleck at all. For sure it isn't like gopher football.

EDIT: reads like sarcasm but didn't mean it like that. Just saying I didn't expect Fleck to name a starter ten days out let alone the true freshman.

I mentioned in Spring how equal Zack was to Morgan with less than half the time to get up to speed, and would have six months to get better. It was apparent the first open practice that he got better. Think I pointed it out in my summary of that practice...Zack was actively talking with the WRs during passing drills. Did not see Morgan do the same.

This can be looked as a positive development or a negative development depending on perspective. For example: is ZA so good he doesn’t need a developmental year, or is Tanner inconsistent enough he wasn’t able to beat him out? Now that the decision is made we all hope Zach is the real deal.

Regarding the Mayfield comparisons, in high school Baker had over 6600 career yards, 67 tds and 8 interceptions. Signs of a pretty polished QB. His negative was likely his height. Zach has about 1600 career yards including his time at Mankato and a relatively pedestrian stat sheet otherwise.

I really want him to be excellent this year but my expectations are pretty low. Prove me wrong! Sorry if that’s negative but I don’t know how many true freshmen have looked good vs Power 5. Surely you guys can come up with some to make me feel better.

Last edited:

So now your assumption contradicts your original statement. It's very likely Morgan wasn't physically ready. They had a RS SR and a RS SO ahead of him. Playing him would have been stupid regardless of him losing the starting job this fall.

It should also be considered that sometimes coaches ask a guy if he wants to play or wait a year. Other coach's have talked about that.

Maybe Morgan was on board with waiting?

And for all we know Morgan starts every other game this year and looks like Steve Montana.

The idea that somehow this story is over just now and we can judge the past because of this decision is absurd.

The idea that somehow this story is over just now and we can judge the past because of this decision is absurd.

We should be happy we have a new tidbit to argue and discuss for the next 10 days or so. I’m shocked we have a decision this far out

This can be looked as a positive development or a negative development depending on perspective. For example: is ZA so good he doesn’t need a developmental year, or is Tanner inconsistent enough he wasn’t able to beat him out? Now that the decision is made we all hope Zach is the real deal.

Regarding the Mayfield comparisons, in high school Baker had over 6600 career yards, 67 tds and 8 interceptions. Signs of a pretty polished QB. His negative was likely his height. Zach has about 1600 career yards including his time at Mankato and a relatively pedestrian stat sheet otherwise.

I really want him to be excellent this year but my expectations are pretty low. Prove me wrong! Sorry if that’s negative but I don’t know how many true freshmen have looked good vs Power 5. Surely you guys can come up with some to make me feel better.

This is an analysis in aggregate, but performance by true-freshmen quarterbacks has steadily increased over the past 5+ years. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23396659/the-rise-true-freshman-qb. They're arriving more ready than ever because of specialized high school coaching, training, and 7-on-7. Annexstad probably had the best of the best of that at IMG.

Granted, much of that is being driven by really highly-ranked guys, like Fromm and Tagovailoa, but the overall trend is true across everyone.

Last edited:

Top Bottom