Gophers Will Have a Freshman QB - Redshirt or True

Iceland12

Reaction score
Fleck says choosing his quarterback comes down to three things: taking care of the football, “decisive decision-making” and “winning the team.”

“These guys are leading our football team with zero performance, with zero feathers in their cap,” Fleck said. “… That’s very difficult to do. That is very difficult for our player looking at them saying, ‘OK, I trust you.’ … But we’re getting there, and they’ve grown up a lot.”..

Morgan — listed on the Gophers’ roster at 6-2, but who is closer to 6 feet tall — made a verbal commitment to Fleck at Western Michigan early in the recruiting process and was one of the first players to flip to Minnesota when Fleck took the job in January 2017.

“Obviously, (the Gophers) are seeing now what type of quarterback Tanner can be and the type of leader he can be,” Engler said. “Probably, and I’ve had some pretty good leaders, in my estimation, he is one of the best leaders I’ve ever been around. He’s the type of kid that is going to get after it in the weight room. He is going to be the first to practice and the last to leave. He’s going to keep his receivers out and practice an extra 20 minutes of routes after practice. He will organize all of that stuff.”..

Earlier that season, he became the 10th quarterback in Kentucky history to eclipse 10,000 career passing yards...

Annexstad didn’t complain about being a senior backup, Wright said. And midway through the season, Annexstad replaced Sitkowski as IMG’s starter. Sitkowski flipped his commitment to Rutgers, and could be the Scarlet Knights’ starter this season.

“It became apparent that (Annexstad) probably was the guy,” Wright said. “Not because Art did anything wrong or there were issues with Art, but the confidence level that (Annexstad) had and that he brought to the offense. … He was good on the big stage.”

Annexstad, who is listed on the Gophers’ roster at 6 feet 3, turned down scholarships offers from Illinois, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to attend Minnesota, joining his brother, wide receiver Brock, and following their father, Scott, who was a Gophers lineman from 1981-83 before a stint in the NFL.

Wright said Zack Annexstad played a big role in Faalele and Curtis Dunlap also going from IMG Academy to Minnesota.

“That’s the impact that a kid like that has that you can’t measure with a yardstick, about how tall they are or how fast their 40 is,” Wright said...

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...eshman-quarterback-this-season-but-which-one/

Can't belive they didn't mention Annexstad is a walk-on!

Something about Morgan’s body language tells me he has chutzpah and a chip on his shoulder. He seems like he has that special sauce upstairs. I could be way off on that and he folds like a lawn chair on the field but we’ll see. I agree his arm may be a tad weaker but it seems sufficient for college.

Top Bottom