PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 8-19-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio with Sid, Dave and Max.

(It's official - I am slowing way down - or PJ is trying to talk faster every week just to mess with me..........)

Sid: how do you think practice is going?
PJ: we're getting better. doing things more efficiently. going to give them some time off - want to get players leg's back hold a walk-through today. Weds, Thurs we don't practice. want to make sure we get healthy. this is still a young group. they are taking on challenge head on. making so much progress. the young guys who came in early, proud of their progress.

Sid: what do you think about the QB's
PJ: I like their leadership. it's hard to be leading a team with zero performance to back it up. like becoming CEO of a company with no experience.
very difficult to do. they've done a great job of leading. the team is responding well to both. as we go forward, we hope to have a starter soon.

Mona: you gave a scholarship to one of the Annexstads.
PJ: we're not allowed to give Zach one because of numbers. that will come down the line at some point. it won't surprise anyone. gave a scholarship to brother Brock, a WR. family has two of their sons at U of MN, both walk-ons - that's a financial burden. Brock is a good WR. wanted to create a memory for Brock. he works his tail end off. he's what our culture is all about. hopefully he gets some playing time this year. Zach got up - want to have an element of surprise - got to be creative so they don't see it coming. Should have seen Brock's face. Zach said he got a tattoo. Brock said "Mom is going to kill you." Zach pulls back shirt - Brock's whole reaction was so pure. everyone loves him. (tattoo night was) very serious - lot of players talk about their tattoos, tell the stories of their life.

Sid: do you have any transfers who will help this year?
PJ: OJ Smith will help on DL. Williamson will help if we can get him healthy. I'm excited about the young DB's. we know we have vets (Winfield, Huff, Shenault). But I'm pleasantly surprised with the FR. we've got 4 guys who can really play. they will possibly have an opportunity to play as FR.

Max: is corner an easier position to play on defense as a FR?
PJ: it's close. corner is a little bit easier than Safety. in our system, safety has to learn a little bit more - it's a combination of LB and CB. they have run fits to learn. I'm impressed with the FR DB's. they're physical. They can run. Terrell Smith can really run (4.3?) and he can hit you. we've got to find out - can they fill gaps, help in run support?

Sid: last year you were not good on defense against the run. Will it help to have Winfield, Barber and Cashman healthy?
PJ: last year everybody could run on us, so they didn't have to pass. didn't have depth on defense. with the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes, trying to bring depth to defense. we were brought here to fix those depth issues. it takes time. proud with progress Rob and the defensive coaches are making. learning to play more cohesive. it's a process - with off-season work-outs and recruiting. for most of the players, it's their 2nd time around - mastering it within the system. play with more instincts. last year was just about "I did my job." - now its progressing to "I own my job." make sure I'm not replaceable.

Max: Seth Green as TE?
PJ: it's been seamless for him. he's so athletic, so talented. he does have to adjust to the physicality of TE position. now it's technique, hand placement. footwork, 1st step. he's in a foreign area. we have a lot of things to do with him - not just TE position. he's worked hard. he's been motivated with the change. been a leader.. he's going to help us. the change has made us a better football team.

Mona: what will the role be for Cashman?
PJ: he's one of most athletic LB's I've been a part of. instinctive. plays hard. great teammate. you'll see him do a lot of different things. last year he played behind Celestin, so he didn't get as much playing time as he might have wanted. But he's going to be one of the most significant players we have - because of the creativity we can have with him. usually you're a LB for reason - because you can't run as fast as the CB's or Safety's. Cashman - he's as fast as our Safeties. We're not a huge Defense. we've got to develop size, recruit the size we want to be able to plug into our scheme. but this team can run. they can "run-run."

Sid: what do you think of the OL so far?
PJ: they're improving every day. last year we weren't one unit playing together. that takes time, trust, learning responsibility. This year, Coach Callahan taking over, and Callahan is going to be the OL coach for a long time. proud of progress with schematics, fundamentals. not where we want to be yet, but we're making huge strides to get better every day. that's what i love about this team. this team is starting to become mature. still inexperienced. we're the 3rd-most inexperienced team in America. To win, you have to be mature. we're not there yet; at some point I want them to be there.

Sid: Murray's. great ticket deals. get 'em while you can.
PJ: went to Murray's with Heather and and we sat in Sid's booth. RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers

Green mentioned as a TE, but wasn't he lining up as a wide out last open practice?

Also, Ciarocca mentioned on BTN last week that he was hoping for a starting QB named this weekend. Here Fleck defers again. The wait continues, which is fine - get the right guy. However I always thought Morgan was the shoo-in, since he was a WMU Fleck recruit not to mention a red-shirt. Annexstad has been impressive and I wonder if Fleck is holding on a bit longer with a preconceived Morgan bias or if open practices just happened to be days when Annexstad played better. Either way, I'd expect to see both play.

Thanks SON. For the record, I think it's amazing that you actually catch as much as you do. ;)

I think Gopher football is heading in the right direction. Thanks for the report SON.

Son is doing great, Fleck is doing great with our program. Doesn't happen in one season as many head coaches have found out. Great report!

Thanks for that s.o.n. Fleck often, such as in that interview, is far more honest and upfront than most of his critics, and a lot of his "defenders", give him credit for.

Isn't it the same interview every week? Just like with any coach in america.

Players are working hard.

Mention an individual player and they are working hard and putting in the effort.

Getting better every day.

And on and on and on.

“we're not allowed to give Zach one because of numbers. that will come down the line at some point.”

I’m still stumped: why can’t they just give ZA the scholarship that was going to VV?? How would that not still satisfy every rule, given that the rules would be satisfied if VV were still here?? Unless they already gave that to someone else??

Mention an individual player and they are working hard and putting in the effort.

And on and on and on.

I want to disagree with you, but you're largely correct.

Last year I think Fleck dropped in more stuff about the whole RTB culture, etc.
Now that the culture should be fermenting on it's own, it's pretty much the same stuff.

We're at the point now where we need games to happen so we can argue on losses if it was coaching issues or lack of talent among Sr's and Jr's.

Looking forward to the season!

And on and on and on.

:rolleyes:

No. Unless of course you expect Fleck to say "We're gonna win 10 games!", "We got no chance to win a game this year!" Or "Half the team has been busted for PED use!"

If those are your standards then yes, it may sound as if he says the same thing every week.

This question elicited a new response:

Mona: you gave a scholarship to one of the Annexstads:
PJ: we're not allowed to give Zach one because of numbers. that will come down the line at some point. it won't surprise anyone. gave a scholarship to brother Brock, a WR. family has two of their sons at U of MN, both walk-ons - that's a financial burden.

This was a little more specific than he's been in the past:

Sid: do you have any transfers who will help this year?

PJ: OJ Smith will help on DL. Williamson will help if we can get him healthy. I'm excited about the young DB's. we know we have vets (Winfield, Huff, Shenault). But I'm pleasantly surprised with the FR. we've got 4 guys who can really play. they will possibly have an opportunity to play as FR.

This one too and good news at that.

Sid: what do you think of the OL so far?

PJ: they're improving every day. last year we weren't one unit playing together. that takes time, trust, learning responsibility. This year, Coach Callahan taking over, and Callahan is going to be the OL coach for a long time. proud of progress with schematics, fundamentals. not where we want to be yet, but we're making huge strides to get better every day.

Last edited:

“we're not allowed to give Zach one because of numbers. that will come down the line at some point.”

I’m still stumped: why can’t they just give ZA the scholarship that was going to VV?? How would that not still satisfy every rule, given that the rules would be satisfied if VV were still here?? Unless they already gave that to someone else??

Not clear, but I don't think you can just turn around and re-assign a scholarship like that. I think all are allotted for that season even if a player leaves. Maybe after they leave, and so much time passes, they then become available again for use.

Also not sure if they got allotted for the full 4 years upfront, or if they are always single year with auto renew. If Vic was coming in, he may have had a "3 year" scholarship. I don't know how they track things like that.

Scholarships given to walk-ons before they've been with the program for two years count against the 25 scholarships per year limit. After two years they only count against the 85 total scholarships limit.

Scholarships given to walk-ons before they've been with the program for two years count against the 25 scholarships per year limit. After two years they only count against the 85 total scholarships limit.

But VV counted against the 25. How could he not have?? The 25 limit is new high school players and new juco players, as far as I understand.

So if VV would have stayed (say to be the 2nd/3rd QB), that was going to have been fine with the 25 and 85. So.... why wouldn’t be same be equally true for ZA having the scholly instead?? In other words, imagine if VV was a PWO and ZA had signed, instead.

I’m sure it’s just my own failure to properly understand the rules. Hope a rules expert can set me straight!

But VV counted against the 25. How could he not have?? The 25 limit is new high school players and new juco players, as far as I understand.

So if VV would have stayed (say to be the 2nd/3rd QB), that was going to have been fine with the 25 and 85. So.... why wouldn’t be same be equally true for ZA having the scholly instead?? In other words, imagine if VV was a PWO and ZA had signed, instead.

I’m sure it’s just my own failure to properly understand the rules. Hope a rules expert can set me straight!

It's about the # of scholarships. He would count against last year's numbers.

I think Zack will get one his third season in the program (and he therefore will not count against any season). I'm not taking anything away from Brock, but this could also be a kind gesture to the Annexstad family so that they don't have to get 2 (essentially, 1/2 of the Annexstad boys is a scholarship player).

Green mentioned as a TE, but wasn't he lining up as a wide out last open practice?

Also, Ciarocca mentioned on BTN last week that he was hoping for a starting QB named this weekend. Here Fleck defers again. The wait continues, which is fine - get the right guy. However I always thought Morgan was the shoo-in, since he was a WMU Fleck recruit not to mention a red-shirt. Annexstad has been impressive and I wonder if Fleck is holding on a bit longer with a preconceived Morgan bias or if open practices just happened to be days when Annexstad played better. Either way, I'd expect to see both play.

I think this all depends on what you want to call the position. The "traditional" TE's in PJ's schemes at WMU hardly caught any passes. I don't think that will be the case with Green and possibly Spann-Ford. They'll play some cross between TE/WR.

Good interview. Thanks SON.
I take away three things.
1) We are young, but maturing.
2) We are undersized, but fast.
3) Fleck wants to recruit bigger.

It's about the # of scholarships. He would count against last year's numbers.

So then, how does it work if VV had stayed to be the backup QB?? Would he not count against last year?

Last edited:

Thanks, shorty. Another awesome report. Wasn't VV's scholarship against 2017. He did come in early. We are going to be tremendously improved at WR. Green is an exciting add there. I think PJ and staff are getting him coached up real quickly. I see him particularly important in the green zone. Good to hear that Redshirt Fr Brock will be on the field. It can't hurt in developing an IMG connection. Would love for all 4 IMGers to make some headlines as Freshmen.

And on and on and on.

My summary of PJ’s interviews can be distilled into: we’re going to stink this year, but we’re going to be really good in a year or two.

This guy again

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-IMP8l175So" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So then, how does it work if VV had stayed to be the backup QB?? Would he not count against last year?

I believe VV still counts towards the 25 because he signed. Doesn’t matter that he isn’t on the team anymore.

So Brock is only a Red Shirt freshman, so not sure how that fits into your explanation. Regardless, Zack got a scholarship, it's just in Brock's name for now, as Bob Loblaw suggested.

And on and on and on.

Well, yes, but look at it this way. These reports eliminate the need to watch the show just to hear the usual coach speak. Reading these reports takes just a few minutes. Although if one is a big Blake Cashman fan, PJ's words should have brought some smiles.

Nice to hear about Cashman although it was interesting he didn’t get more run when Celestin was playing hurt last year. Maybe Cashman was hurt as well, I really don’t remember. I do recall Celestin really struggling for awhile (not his fault - I loved him as a player).

I believe VV still counts towards the 25 because he signed. Doesn’t matter that he isn’t on the team anymore.

Well I guess I will admit defeat and give up trying to understand the rules.

I just hope Fleck isn’t trying to game it by refusing to give him a scholarship as a freshman, so that he doesn’t have to honor the multi-year scholarship requirement (only apply to players given a scholarship as freshmen).

I think this all depends on what you want to call the position. The "traditional" TE's in PJ's schemes at WMU hardly caught any passes. I don't think that will be the case with Green and possibly Spann-Ford. They'll play some cross between TE/WR.

I believe they confirmed he's a WR, so maybe Fleck was just going with the question as asked. Green did all his position reps with the WR group at the last open practice. Also lined up wide at left WR for all plays, including with TEs in the sets. Same thing at the TCF practice/scrimmage.

Well I guess I will admit defeat and give up trying to understand the rules.

I just hope Fleck isn’t trying to game it by refusing to give him a scholarship as a freshman, so that he doesn’t have to honor the multi-year scholarship requirement (only apply to players given a scholarship as freshmen).

Fleck essentially said today that Zack is going to get one but can't yet, and the Annexsteads are paying for two kids to go through school, etc.
I was surprised at how transparent he sounded on it because as soon as they asked about Brock's scholarship, he mentioned Zack and stated Zack will get his.

Fleck essentially said today that Zack is going to get one but can't yet, and the Annexsteads are paying for two kids to go through school, etc.
I was surprised at how transparent he sounded on it because as soon as they asked about Brock's scholarship, he mentioned Zack and stated Zack will get his.

I do believe ZA will get a scholarship. I'm not worried about that. What seems unfair to me, rightly or wrongly (probably the latter, I admit), is that he doesn't have one starting in fall camp.

This is the part that worries me: some NCAA schools (specifically the P5 + Notre Dame) voted to require that their scholarships be guaranteed for as long as the athlete is eligible and on the team. In other words, a coach can't discontinue the scholarship for athletic related reasons. He can't "cut" a players scholarship for poor athletic performance. And this is absolutely correct in my opinion (I'm a big advocate for player rights). BUT, a loophole in this is if the player doesn't receive a scholarship in his/her freshman year. Then the rules revert back to the old style "renew the scholarships every year".

In my opinion, ZA has absolutely earned the right to have a scholarship in his freshman year and receive this protection. I think it would be absolutely terrible if Fleck was trying to game this system to avoid having to give ZA one in his freshman year, so that he could "cut" his scholarship later on if a better QB prospect arrives. I really hope that isn't the case. And I hope that if ZA gets the scholarship starting in Winter 2019 term that the protection still applies.

I do believe ZA will get a scholarship. I'm not worried about that. What seems unfair to me, rightly or wrongly (probably the latter, I admit), is that he doesn't have one starting in fall camp.

This is the part that worries me: some NCAA schools (specifically the P5 + Notre Dame) voted to require that their scholarships be guaranteed for as long as the athlete is eligible and on the team. In other words, a coach can't discontinue the scholarship for athletic related reasons. He can't "cut" a players scholarship for poor athletic performance. And this is absolutely correct in my opinion (I'm a big advocate for player rights). BUT, a loophole in this is if the player doesn't receive a scholarship in his/her freshman year. Then the rules revert back to the old style "renew the scholarships every year".

In my opinion, ZA has absolutely earned the right to have a scholarship in his freshman year and receive this protection. I think it would be absolutely terrible if Fleck was trying to game this system to avoid having to give ZA one in his freshman year, so that he could "cut" his scholarship later on if a better QB prospect arrives. I really hope that isn't the case. And I hope that if ZA gets the scholarship starting in Winter 2019 term that the protection still applies.
Highly doubtful that is the case here.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Fleck isn’t “gaming the system”. Zack can’t be on scholarship until January per NCAA rules. He will then be on scholarship. ZA may very well be the starting QB as a true freshman. He’s not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom