VaTech grad transfer Bush wins Illini QB job

swingman

Reaction score
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_aaee9914-5eda-5c8e-812b-f8f7d3935f4e.html

Bush recruited to Nebraska by Pelini, transferred after one year with Bo and one with Riley...never played...Played a year at Iowa Western CC...went to VaTech, threw 11 passes last year...he is called a blueshirt...Illini had filled 2018 scholarship class 25 limit...they made no in home visits with Bush, paid for no official visit to Champaign, could do no supervised team activities until August...put on scholarship second day of camp, will count against 2019 scholarship class

RichRod OC Rod Smith has the reins at Illinois...wants a QB who can run...will do some hurry up...

Illini like wr Dudek back healthy and a Coffeyville juco wr and soph wr Smalling

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_aaee9914-5eda-5c8e-812b-f8f7d3935f4e.html

Bush recruited to Nebraska by Pelini, transferred after one year with Bo and one with Riley...never played...Played a year at Iowa Western CC...went to VaTech, threw 11 passes last year...he is called a blueshirt...Illini had filled 2018 scholarship class 25 limit...they made no in home visits with Bush, paid for no official visit to Champaign, could do no supervised team activities until August...put on scholarship second day of camp, will count against 2019 scholarship class

RichRod OC Rod Smith has the reins at Illinois...wants a QB who can run...will do some hurry up...

Illini like wr Dudek back healthy and a Coffeyville juco wr and soph wr Smalling

I'm curious as to how that works - he is a 5th year senior, with this being his last year of eligibility. How would it be able to count against 2019? I didn't know teams could do that.

I'm curious as to how that works - he is a 5th year senior, with this being his last year of eligibility. How would it be able to count against 2019? I didn't know teams could do that.

Blueshirt means that the player gets put on scholarship at the start of fall camp, but then can't play that year, in order for the scholly to count against the next year's class. They're saying that Bush is the starter, plus as you said this is his last year of eligibility anyway.

So either he isn't getting an athletic scholarship in 2018, or they found some other loophole to get around giving out 25 schollys in their 2018 class already, if he is getting a football scholly this year.

I would also say that this just goes to show you: even at the lowly Big Ten programs, they have and spend big money, and get high level athletes. A lot of us count the Illinois game as a win, I'm guilty of it, but none of these teams are going to be automatic pushovers.

The Illini might be really hurting at QB. He looks like a decent runner but next to no passing production. Dual threat guy. His backup Cam Thomas was abysmal last year.

His stats at Iow Western were awful: 602 yards in 10 games, 45.6%, 3 TD, 8 Int.

Never say never, though.

The Illini might be really hurting at QB. He looks like a decent runner but next to no passing production. Dual threat guy. His backup Cam Thomas was abysmal last year.

His stats at Iow Western were awful: 602 yards in 10 games, 45.6%, 3 TD, 8 Int.

Never say never, though.

Agree those are not inspiring passing statistics.

But the RichRod West Virginia offense back in the 2000's with Pat White used a lot of QB option running, if I recall correctly. We will see!

I would also say that this just goes to show you: even at the lowly Big Ten programs, they have and spend big money, and get high level athletes. A lot of us count the Illinois game as a win, I'm guilty of it, but none of these teams are going to be automatic pushovers.

Don’t understand how a 3 time transfer 5th year senior who has never started a game in the big ten being named starting quarterback for Illinois makes you more afraid of Illinois.

No one is ever a pushover. But this news makes me more optimistic about the future futility of Illinois football.

You’re right. Not a scary guy on paper. But a guy who went to P5 programs, and Illinois was still able to attract him. My point is overblown, but it still felt right to say at the time I wrote it.

It's too bad Lovie didn't land Brandon Dawkins, the Arizona grad transfer QB who got beat out by Khalil Tate and ended up at Indiana. He's another guy who can really run and stuggles passing, but would've upgraded their offense immensely.

You’re right. Not a scary guy on paper. But a guy who went to P5 programs, and Illinois was still able to attract him. My point is overblown, but it still felt right to say at the time I wrote it.

Of course. This is GopherHole.

Top Bottom