Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus taking leave of absence from team...

Has it been mentioned that he has been well thought of well before he got to Wisconsin, is as good a student as he is an athlete, and is well liked by his teammates? Seems to me, upandunder you want to make implications.

What? I asked if it was true his dad was killed execution style. Not really sure why that was so offensive to you but sorry I guess?

Yes, it doesn’t explicitly define the process for each school.

Unrelated, out of curiosity I visited Buckyville and the overall sentiment there (small sample of course) was wait and see for the process to play out, in contrast to the instant conviction our players have received here. Our fan base seems far more sensitive to public opinion.

You do know that the fans are the public, right? Also, we tend to be more sober than the sconny fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In these situations (criminal cases arrested/charged) suspension is automatic, the coach doesn't do it. The policy spells out exactly when it applies.

Coach has discretion in other situations, but not these.

Correct, participation in college athletics is a privilege and at the discretion of the coach, etc. If the coach thinks your actions do not follow team conduct norms or sets a bad example (loafing in practice, getting into fights, rape, etc...) the coach can remove you from the team. Period.
Just because a person has not been convicted of a crime doesn’t mean that they haven’t done something wrong.
Why is it that the same people that don’t want any government involvement in their lives expect the government to be the judge on if they did anything wrong (I didn’t break the law, so it is OK)?

Correct, participation in college athletics is a privilege and at the discretion of the coach, etc. If the coach thinks your actions do not follow team conduct norms or sets a bad example (loafing in practice, getting into fights, rape, etc...) the coach can remove you from the team. Period.
Just because a person has not been convicted of a crime doesn’t mean that they haven’t done something wrong.
Why is it that the same people that don’t want any government involvement in their lives expect the government to be the judge on if they did anything wrong (I didn’t break the law, so it is OK)?

You are mixing two separate things in that last sentence...

Unrelated, out of curiosity I visited Buckyville and the overall sentiment there (small sample of course) was wait and see for the process to play out, in contrast to the instant conviction our players have received here. Our fan base seems far more sensitive to public opinion.

If my memory is correct, they were definitely NOT in a wait & see for the process to play out mode when it came to the Gopher '16 episode. I don't disagree with you that, generally speaking, Minnesota may be more sensitive, but I think many flipped thoughts the moment it happened to their club.

If my memory is correct, they were definitely NOT in a wait & see for the process to play out mode when it came to the Gopher '16 episode. I don't disagree with you that, generally speaking, Minnesota may be more sensitive, but I think many flipped thoughts the moment it happened to their club.

Human nature to vilify someone or something you disagree with. When you’re the subject of an investigation astonishingly the pitfork gets put back in the hay mow. Wierd.

In response to whether Danny Davis will face any consequences for being named in the criminal complaint involving Quintez Cephus, UW officials say - “At this time, we don’t have anything further.”

In response to whether Danny Davis will face any consequences for being named in the criminal complaint involving Quintez Cephus, UW officials say - “At this time, we don’t have anything further.”

No charges against Davis, yet, and the DA says he can't comment on if there will be charges in the future. My wild guess is that there will be charges, but not felony. Could easily be wrong.

Of course, keep in mind, even if nothing criminal sticks to either of these guys, the school can (and I'm sure does) have it's own, completely separate system for disputes/allegations between students, and the burden of proof in those systems can be far, far lower than for crimes or even for civil suits. And if that system decide to suspend or expel either, that is also something that will be taken into account. IE, Davis may never face charges, but UW's system might decide to expel him anyway.

Has it been mentioned that he has been well thought of well before he got to Wisconsin, is as good a student as he is an athlete, and is well liked by his teammates? Seems to me, upandunder you want to make implications.

The tune sure has changed for WI fans when it's their players involved. When it's the Gophers, they're all guilty right away.

I doubt Cephus and Davis will play again for "On Wisconsin" again.

Reports I've read from the criminal complain and the madison paper have a similar ring to them. Sounds like both girls were incredibly drunk and Cephus was sober. What kind of person could have sex with a girl while she is passed out drunk and you're sober? I'm sure at a minimum they will have title IX issues to address and a university level.

You see that as only a similarity in people that don't like government involvement in their lives?

The tune sure has changed for WI fans when it's their players involved. When it's the Gophers, they're all guilty right away.

That's how most humans work.

If it is fits your view or is convenient, easy to belive.

If not, fake news.

I doubt Cephus and Davis will play again for "On Wisconsin" again.

Reports I've read from the criminal complain and the madison paper have a similar ring to them. Sounds like both girls were incredibly drunk and Cephus was sober. What kind of person could have sex with a girl while she is passed out drunk and you're sober? I'm sure at a minimum they will have title IX issues to address and a university level.

We're talking Barry Alvarez justice. I'm sure both will be reinstated and then suspended for the annual flag football game next spring as punishment.

No charges against Davis, yet, and the DA says he can't comment on if there will be charges in the future. My wild guess is that there will be charges, but not felony. Could easily be wrong.

Of course, keep in mind, even if nothing criminal sticks to either of these guys, the school can (and I'm sure does) have it's own, completely separate system for disputes/allegations between students, and the burden of proof in those systems can be far, far lower than for crimes or even for civil suits. And if that system decide to suspend or expel either, that is also something that will be taken into account. IE, Davis may never face charges, but UW's system might decide to expel him anyway.

Call me cynical, but are these two threads related. First, Davis is projected to be a starting WR on a team going for the gold. Cephus is not on the 2 deep. Second, Cephus appears to be "taking the fall" by resigning and maybe even the prosecution. Davis will probably survive and thrive.

My cynicism is based on a long, observant and reflective life. For guidance on this matter, see the thoughts of GH member Sparlimb whose mantra is "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Call me cynical, but are these two threads related. First, Davis is projected to be a starting WR on a team going for the gold. Cephus is not on the 2 deep. Second, Cephus appears to be "taking the fall" by resigning and maybe even the prosecution. Davis will probably survive and thrive.

If it was just getting kicked off the team and out of school, that might be one thing. But even that would be quite an ask. But to potential be a felon, maybe even go to prison?? Wow, that would be an incredibly large and painful sword to be asked to fall on ...

If it was just getting kicked off the team and out of school, that might be one thing. But even that would be quite an ask. But to potential be a felon, maybe even go to prison?? Wow, that would be an incredibly large and painful sword to be asked to fall on ...

Agree about the sword size - but consider the DA's purity of motivation. Cephus may not have a choice but the DA does. Maybe even plea deals.

Last edited:

Danny Davis has been suspended for two games but will still be allowed to practice with the team.

This is likely subject to change if he is charged with a crime.

Danny Davis has been suspended for two games but will still be allowed to practice with the team.

Wisconsin media told us that Quintez wasn't suspended because there were no charges filed. Now this guy is suspended are there are no charges filed against him.

Seems like they were hoping this would all blow over with no need to suspend anybody, now they're doing it retroactively and against there own policy.

Wisconsin media told us that Quintez wasn't suspended because there were no charges filed. Now this guy is suspended are there are no charges filed against him.

Seems like they were hoping this would all blow over with no need to suspend anybody, now they're doing it retroactively and against there own policy.

There are always exceptions. Mr. Davis was named in the criminal complaint against Quintez. The DA couldn't comment on pending charges against Davis ... but I have to think they're likely on the way. Maybe not felonies, but charges nonetheless.

A player can be suspended without criminal charges being brought. A player shall be suspended if criminal charges are brought. It not that difficult.

Supposedly DD wasn't completely upfront regarding his involvement and the suspension relates to that issue.

This is likely subject to change if he is charged with a crime.

It just means he will be held out of 2 non-con games and saved for the B1G. Good solution for Bucky.

A player can be suspended without criminal charges being brought. A player shall be suspended if criminal charges are brought. It not that difficult.

Supposedly DD wasn't completely upfront regarding his involvement and the suspension relates to that issue.

Wasn't Davis taking photos and/or videos of the incident? Or is that just a rumor?

Wasn't Davis taking photos and/or videos of the incident? Or is that just a rumor?

Right, according to the criminal complaint. So, perhaps he (Davis) originally lied to the coaches by telling them "no I wasn't there, I had nothing to do with that"? Pure speculation on my part.

But if that did happen, and now the complaint says he was there ... coaches could be pissed and suspend him for lying. Again, speculation.

Right, according to the criminal complaint. So, perhaps he (Davis) originally lied to the coaches by telling them "no I wasn't there, I had nothing to do with that"? Pure speculation on my part.

But if that did happen, and now the complaint says he was there ... coaches could be pissed and suspend him for lying. Again, speculation.

But if he was there taking photos and videos, a 2-game suspension seems really light.

Well it's just two games for lying, right now. If/when charges come, then we'll see.

I guess? Like I said, I'm making this up ...

I get that. I'm saying we were told Quintez was not suspended because of the policy.

I was told on Twitter by several Wisconsin fans that the policy was followed and that's why he wasn't suspended. Now all of a sudden the policy doesn't need to be followed to suspend a player.

I get that. I'm saying we were told Quintez was not suspended because of the policy.

I was told on Twitter by several Wisconsin fans that the policy was followed and that's why he wasn't suspended. Now all of a sudden the policy doesn't need to be followed to suspend a player.

You should read the policy. It spells out specific situations where suspension is automatic. Outside of those situations, coaches/AD have discretion on suspensions.

If what the defense says in this article is event remotely true, it sounds like the DA withheld video and cell phone evidence and the two women weren't nearly as intoxicated as the complaint states and could have consented to relations.

Of course it could also be a way for the defense to spin public opinion, but things aren't looking good for the DA's case if the Cephus' attorneys really do have this evidence. This is only for the second degree sexual assault charge.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_b70e17b6-38e1-5b66-97b9-c559e12e2de6.html

Top Bottom